Thread: Zeiss Conquest 1.8-5.5 x 38 - suitable?

Default Zeiss Conquest 1.8-5.5 x 38 - suitable?

Hello gents in AK.

Enjoy reading yr. hunting reports and opinions.

I have a stainless Ruger 338WM and will upgrade the scope from the old Redfield 2 - 7 in the near future.

My hunting for Sambar deer is often at close range and often in fairly heavy cover - finding them quickly is paramount!

Most are shot at 50 - 100yds.

Looking at the above Zeiss scope, has excellent F.O.V. but not sure if it can handle the 338WM recoil. The Zeiss site doesn't really say one way or another if the scope is magnum compatible.

ANYONE HAD ONE ON A MAGNUM CENTRE - FIRE, HOW DID IT GO?

Wink

The Zeiss will handle it. No wait, its inferior, just send it to me, I'll take it off your hands!

Default probably good, but...

Why don't you compare it to the Leupold VX III 1.5 x 5 20mm or the 1.75 x 32mm. Both have a wonderful reputation for being reliable scopes for big calibers for close in work. Compare the eye relief, field of view, length, weight, and the clarity, which will be good in both of them. Then we have the often touted ability to transmit the available light. Whew!

Leupold VX-3 1.75-6x33 1 inch tube and the Leupold European 2-7x33 30mm tube would be good options for a reasonable price at around $400. I like Zeiss, but not so much the conquests. I don't see them as being that much better than the Leupold VX-3s and Euros to warant the extra price. The diovari is another story, but the conquest not so much.

Just my 2 cents.

Brett

Thanks fella's. Bill, scopes in the mail.

Yes, have been looking at Leupolds, no final decision yet.

Regards to all.

I have the Conquest on my Model 70 375 H&H and am very happy with it.

Talking I will test

I have a zeiss DIAVARI Made in Germany .But i WILL GLADLY TEST YOUR CONQUEST AND GIVE YOU AN hONEST EVULATION . I am also open to testing any other scopes made in Germany Sweeden or maybe japan . I will not charge for this service

Robert

Thanks GIAVUC, is it the 1.8 - 5.5 x 38 you have on the 375H&H.

The reason I am asking if its this specific scope is the somewhat uncertainty I have from reading the 'ZEISS' site that says this scope is particularly good on muzzleloaders & shotguns. No mention of Mag. centre-fires. I can' think of a better testing ground that AK so have asked the Q. here.

Thanks Robert, you are a gentleman like myself, can I send two or three hundred rounds of yr favourite ammo to assist in the test..........see Bill to pick it up !!

The Diavari is getting expensive for me, will stick with Conquest or a Leupold I reckon.

Default Price of this scope

CABELAS - on special now, $299 US, the freight to Aus. with them is the killer though ...... for info.

Default Conquest 1.8 -5.5 x 38

I have this exact scope on my CZ .375 H&H w/ Warne Q/D rings. works extremely well. Have shot lots and has made it half way around the world on various airlines. and has never been out of alignment. If it can handle the airlines, it can handle any magnum!! Good Choice.

Default Price Fixing

The problem I have with Leupold/Stevens is that they give their distributors and dealers a minimum sale price, and if the retailer chooses to sell below that price, they get blacklisted and are no longer authorized dealers. Any company that has to artificially inflate the value of their product won't get my business. For the money of a Vari-X III, I'll buy a Conquest which has better glass and is honestly priced.

Default Thanks

Good info. appreciate it.

mcreg - thats what I needed to hear!.

regards to all in AK, don't get sunburnt over there, we are just a month into our Winter, its very mild compared to yrs thankfully.

Yes, it is the 1.8 x 5.5

I just ordered one for my 338. I have been very happy with my conquest scopes. I think that they are better than my Vari x 3's. They seem brighter than the leupolds.

Quote Originally Posted by Sambar from Oz. View Post
    CABELAS - on special now, $299 US, the freight to Aus. with them is the killer though ...... for info.
    Thanks for the info. When they first released these I wanted one for my 340 Weatherby and at this price I thought now was the time. Just confirmed that Cabelas shipped mine today.

I can't say that the Conquest line is "brighter" than my other scopes, but I will say I have found them very durable. I have used them on a lightweight STW & 35 Whelen, as well as a sporter weight 300 WM & 340 Weatherby. I also prefer their crosshair reticle to all others right now. I realize in design it is a simple "Duplex," but it is bold enough to see in various degrees of light and fine enough to allow very precise aiming. They are a bit heavier than Leupold scopes; I think my Conquest 3x9s weigh just a bit over 16 ounces, but the constant generous eye relief is a real plus.

Excellent reports, thanks again, just found out the Cabelas mob won't sell to Aust. so will find a dealer that will, no probs.

(Found a DiavariC 3-9 x 38 - US dealer will freight here, much dearer though.)

I now have enough on this subject gents, might get to AK one day.

Good luck with your hunting.

Default Sounds good

I like the power range in that it is low. I'm sure it is of good quality and shouldn't give you any issues.