Thread: Residency question...

Default Residency question...

I plan on moving to Alaska next spring or early summer, I don't know when exactly. What I was trying to figure out is, when do I absolutely have to be up there to be able to apply for sheep hunts the following year? Is it before the draw application deadline or before the season opener?

Thank you

Default Residency

I would suggest that you contact Alaska Fish and Game about this question. Off the top of my head I would plan on before the application deadline but I havn't read the regulations since I was up there many years ago.

Before the season opener. August 10th for most hunts. Some others are in September and October.

You must have 365 days of residency by the day of the opener.

If you move up in the summer you may apply for a sheep tag in the winter draw because you will be a resident by the time the hunt starts.

I moved here in July 91 and was eligible to apply for the 92 season draw.

If you're a bowhunter and will move up close to the deadline make sure you get your IBEP card.

Default hunting license required when you apply

You have to submit your hunting license number from the present or previous year when you apply. I assume you could do the same with a non-resident license and still be able to hunt without a guide if your hunt was after a full year though. You could also hunt the harvest tag sheep hunts.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

you must establish a full year/12 months/365 days of residency in Alaska to be considered a resident hunter.
    if you are putting in for a drawing permit (all permits are now awarded in a single drawing which takes place in nov/dec for the following seasons) you must first obtain a hunting license.
    if you purchase that license before your year of required residency is complete you will have to purchase a non-resident hunting license ($85 vs $25 for residents).
    the hunting regulations nor the drawing supplement speak specifically to your question so you should speak directly with alaska game and fish about "the apply as a non-resident but hunt as resident" question. this has been asked numerous times with some conflicting opinions, so ask adf&g yourself to be prudent.
    this should not put a damper on your hopes of hunting sheep as a resident. although there are some coveted sheep tags awarded by the permit system they are difficult to draw; most sheep hunters hunt with over the counter resident harvest tags.
    if you are here by July 2010 then you will qualify to hunt as a resident for the sheep opener August 10 2011. (remember to ask adf&g about the non-resident license/application but resident tag gray area).
    good luck........btw are you by chance connected to osu in any way. as a fellow hunter i won't hold that against you.

Default kinda goofy

its kinda goofy but basically if you get here before august 10th 2010, when the time comes to apply for tags in november you will have to have a non-resident license but will be applying as a resident for that hunt, since you will be a resident by that time......just make sure to save whatever documents that prove what day it was you got here with INTENT TO STAY....be it a plane ticket or some kind of paperwork from the border....and getting an AK drivers license and bank account and address and all that stuff proves your INTENT TO STAY...its a great feeling though 365 days later when you can actually check off the resident box on your license...
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Default Thank you...

Thank you for the replies. I have been reading and researching everything I can about Alaska and hunting up there. My girlfriend and I plan to move but our move date is dependent on when they decide to transfer my girlfriend up there. I understand the 1 year deal to hunt as a resident and I know that I can hunt with harvest tags so I know that I'll atleast get to hunt after a year. I just want to be able to apply and get a crack at a really good tag. I don't know how long I'll get to stay up there so I want to make the most of it.

Oh and yes I am a Beaver fan!!! Go Beavs! LOL! I use to wrestle for them so it's kinda hard not to be a fan. Thanks for not holding it against me!

Thanks again for the help.

Default oddly enough

seems like first timers always get the good tags.....i drew my delta sheep tag my first application and drew a kodiak goat that same year
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"