Thread: Ship creek closed to all fishing through july 13

Exclamation Ship creek closed to all fishing through july 13

SHIP CREEK CLOSED TO ALL FISHING THROUGH JULY 13
    An emergency order has been issued to close the Ship Creek drainage to all sport fishing through September 30, 2009. The section of Ship Creek below the Chugach Power Plant dam will reopen July 14 for the popular coho salmon fishery.
    These restrictions go into effect Monday, June 29, 2009.

The Elmendorf State Hatchery collects broodstock from king and coho salmon returning to the Ship Creek drainage. Recent years have seen an increase in illegal harvest of adult king and coho salmon in sections of the creek normally closed to salmon fishing. During the past five years, by June 23, approximately 40% of the king salmon escapement is above the fishery in waters closed to salmon fishing. This year, a survey conducted June 26 estimated 250 king salmon in Ship Creek, which is substantially less than the average escapement of 782 king salmon at this time.

Therefore, it is necessary to close the king salmon fishery downstream of the Chugach Power Plant Dam, and the waters above the dam to all sport fishing to ensure that adequate numbers of salmon return to the hatchery to meet broodstock and stocking goals.

Salmon smolt reared from broodstock collected from Ship Creek are used to enhance popular recreational salmon fisheries in the Anchorage Bowl, Knik Arm, Mat-Su Valleys, Prince William Sound, Resurrection Bay, and Kenai Peninsula, while reducing angling pressure on wild stocks.

For more information about this emergency order, contact Chuck Brazil, Fishery Biologist in Anchorage at (907) 267-2186.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Not a surprise! I was out this am having coffee poking around and it is dismall!!! The counts above the bridge at upper ship creek are way down and it looks sad! The only reason "any" derby goers did well--for the most part--yes--for the most part!--was at low slack to where they could swing and rip and flip them in the face!

Quote Originally Posted by Triple Threat View Post
    Not a surprise! I was out this am having coffee poking around and it is dismall!!! The counts above the bridge at upper ship creek are way down and it looks sad! The only reason "any" derby goers did well--for the most part--yes--for the most part!--was at low slack to where they could swing and rip and flip them in the face!

that is interesting...

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati...9_Shipking.pdf

everyone head down to the mouth this weekend and slaughter all remaining fish

[QUOTE=Triple Threat;521081]Not a surprise! I was out this am having coffee poking around and it is dismall!!! The counts above the bridge at upper ship creek are way down and it looks sad! The only reason "any" derby goers did well--for the most part--yes--for the most part!--was at low slack to where they could swing and rip and flip them in the face![/QUOTE]

Very intersting - as most of the fish I saw weighed in (including my own) were caught on roe or vibrax. Not saying there weren't "rippers" out there as there are every year, but don't go blaming the derby!

Default Cash Cow!

The derby is the cash cow! I volunteer at the Soup Kitchen, yes I do, and have--several times!, but the unique aspect is that with the runs being down wouldn't have anything to do with 1,000 plus anglers hammering it?

The ADFG counted a dismall return upstream, but I know for a fact that the derby (and the week before and after) pulled in more then what they have upstream for escapment!

Piss poor job on waiting for closures and then continually highlighting the "russian" as things shut down!