Thread: Turned up eye on sockeye flies

Default Turned up eye on sockeye flies

Guys i was thinking about tying up some flies and wondering how the hookset is if you have hooks with turned up eyes. Should i buy some new hooks?

I never use the standard Russian/coho flies. I stick with a #2 Gamakatsu Octopus hook tied with an egg loop. Place a little yarn in the loop to make it legal. The #2 hook meets the 3/8" gap requirement for the "fly fish only" areas. Out of the "fly fish only" area I increase the hook size to a 3/0.
    The hooks are sharper and have a shorter shank allowing for much better hook sets than a coho fly, even with an upturned eye.

Good luck.

I use the ol' black forged salmon irons with up-turned eyes, the classic Eagle Claw 1197 with down-turned eyes, octopus hooks, russian river hooks, straight eye glo-bug hooks - and I've never experienced any notable difference in hook ups. I don't think it matters.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

I use the turned up eye quite a bit. I just tie them with a snell or double turle knot to allow a straight pull. I also use some straight eye hooks as well.

I have tied with several types as well and have not seen a difference.

Default Not legal in fly fishing only waters

SORRY but using yarn in an egg loop is NOT LEGAL in fly fishing only areas!

If you check the definition of a "fly" in the AS 16.05.940 & 5 ACC 47 - 5 ACC 75.955 the regs state that an artifical fly "means a fly which is constructed by common methods known as fly tying....".

I will admit that I did this myself years ago until I learned that it is clearly not legal. I also found that the egg loop is not the best know strength-wise anyway.

I thread a strand or two of yarn through the eye of the hook and then wrap and tie it at the head with thread like a standard Russian River fly except it has yarn instead of hair. Threading the yarn through the eye makes a nearly indistrucable fly as the yarn can't come loose.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Wonderer View Post
    I never use the standard Russian/coho flies. I stick with a #2 Gamakatsu Octopus hook tied with an egg loop. Place a little yarn in the loop to make it legal. The #2 hook meets the 3/8" gap requirement for the "fly fish only" areas. Out of the "fly fish only" area I increase the hook size to a 3/0.
    The hooks are sharper and have a shorter shank allowing for much better hook sets than a coho fly, even with an upturned eye.

Good luck.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK