Thread: 45/70 ammo comparison

Default 45/70 ammo comparison

I did an ammo comparison with the Leverevolution 45/70 vs. the Buffalo Bore 300 grain JFN rounds. Overall, I was surprised with some things and not so much with others.

The surprise are that the Leverevolution is down right slow. This ammo Chrono'd at a measly 1850 fps out of my marlin 1895G. I thought alright it's short barrel, that isn't too bad for the ole 45/70.

But then I fired the BBore 300 grainer. To my surprise, these babies hit 2360 fps out of the short barreled Guide Gun, which is 10 fps faster than the factory advertised velocity for this round.

Truthfully the ballistics are much better for the BBore ammo with the flat nosed bullets. At any range the extra 500 fps in the BBore ammo significantly overcomes any ballistic advantage of the 325 gr Leverevolution.

Just for comparison, the Ballistic coefficient for the 325 gr Leverevolution bullet is .230 and the 300 gr JFN in the BBore ammo is .225.

Default 45-70 Ammo Comparison

Quote Originally Posted by BrentC View Post
    I did an ammo comparison with the Leverevolution 45/70 vs. the Buffalo Bore 300 grain JFN rounds. Overall, I was surprised with some things and not so much with others.

The surprise are that the Leverevolution is down right slow. This ammo Chrono'd at a measly 1850 fps out of my marlin 1895G. I thought alright it's short barrel, that isn't too bad for the ole 45/70.

But then I fired the BBore 300 grainer. To my surprise, these babies hit 2360 fps out of the short barreled Guide Gun, which is 10 fps faster than the factory advertised velocity for this round.

Truthfully the ballistics are much better for the BBore ammo with the flat nosed bullets. At any range the extra 500 fps in the BBore ammo significantly overcomes any ballistic advantage of the 325 gr Leverevolution.

Just for comparison, the Ballistic coefficient for the 325 gr Leverevolution bullet is .230 and the 300 gr JFN in the BBore ammo is .225.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

In response:

I have never chrongraphed any published loads from any factory ammunition supplier. So I really can't comment on published ballistics. However, being an enthusiast, remember several criterias: The first and foremost, the size of a bullet's meplat and mass.

Don't exclude the 350 grain bullets, 405 grain jacket/lead casts, and the 420 grainers. They all can be loaded and bought from ammunition suppliers that reach a velocity of 2000fps. Very important when you hunt animals the size of elk and moose. The terminal knockdown of a larger bullet, even downrange, will suprise you.

Joe