Thread: Slug barrel kick

Default Slug barrel kick

My friend was telling me this weekend that a 3 in slug through a fully rifled shotgun barrel kicks a lot more than a 3 in slug through a smooth barrel.

At first I started to tell him that that I did not believe that there should be a difference, but then again what do I know.

Is he right and if so why.

The rifled barrels are not realy made for slugs and can can at times feel abit more as the slug hits the rifleing.Sabot on the other hand are what they are built for and can give very nice accuracy

My initial thought would be due to eight and length of barrel, the slug barrels seem to go 20 or 22 inches while a typical smoothbore shotgun barrel is 28 inches long, so maybe that's a factor.

depends on the gun...the barrel length does have something to do with it...i've noticed more muzzle flip with a shorter rifled slug barrel using sabots, but not as much flip shooting slugs through a smooth bore 28" barrel....

however, my slug gun is heavier and thus has less felt recoil than the smoothbore with slugs.... 3" mag shells are 3" mag shells sabot or slugs they will knock your pants off.

I would say that is possible. Rifles with faster twist barrels are harder kickers and give lower velocity, probably at higher pressure. It probably his more of felt recoil and has to do with the dynamics of the barrel trying to turn or torgue as the heavy slug hits the rifling. I doubt we could measure or calculate the difference.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

All I can tell you is 3in slugs, even sabots, through my rifled barrelled 870 kicks like a mule, a lot harder than anything else i ever shot out of an 870. So yes, I believe its possible.