Thread: 10mm Glock or .357 for personal protection?

Default 10mm Glock or .357 for personal protection?

My son and i are coming to Holitna River country in late August to bird hunt and salmon fish. For personal protection,he'll be carrying a .44 Mag leaving me with a choice of my .357 or 10mm Glock. Other than standing behind my son, what other thoughts come to mind?

rifle - from '06 up with heavy for caliber premium bullets?

I like the idea of the .44 mag, but, as backup (and this is just my opinion) I like the glock for the fact 10 rounds, drop clip, 10 more rounds, drop clip...but that's all in the head. Are you really going to have time to fire multiple rounds in the event of "Protection" needs? No, maybe if you have time you'll have 2 to 3 shots out of the .44 in a really close incident, maybe lucky to get 1 off in a really really close incident. Good luck to you!

This one has been beat to death. Do a search, there are 100s of pages of recent debate about all of these firearms and their "appropriateness." BTW Super, you must be talking about a California Glock or a mini. Mine hold 15 of the 10s. Good luck on your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by OATS View Post
    you must be talking about a California Glock or a mini. Mine hold 15 of the 10s.
    I'm not familiar all that much with the glock, I was just throwing a number out there...my thoughts were to empty a clip, drop it, throw another in. Either way, if she don't slow down or stop after the .44 there's a problem...

Thanks

Default Front Sight

Which ever one you choose just make sure that you file off the front sight. It makes it easier.

I'd be sure to shoot hardcasts or FMJ whichever ya choose.

Default well...

I guese the 10 mm with the heaviest and hardest bullet made. You won't be shooting past 40' if it's for protection. But, forget that and get a short barreled Rem. 870 12 gauge with some 600 grain Brenneke slugs. Handguns are not what anyone really wants to stop a bear in a full charge. Ask any giuide or any Alaskan worth his salt who has faced old griz when he is upset.

Use the one that you can get out of the holster and put two shots on target the fastest with. The 10mm and 357mag are close enough ballistic wise it won't make much difference. A shotgun would be much more effective ballistics wise but unless you carry it always with you and in a tactical sling you probably won't have time to use it. The shot gun would be very in the way while fishing but very handy while bird hunting. Rifle, same as shotgun, you probably won't like carring it while fishing or bird hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I guess the 10 mm with the heaviest and hardest bullet made.
    FWIW Glock has pretty strong language against lead bullets of any sort in their factory barrels. Much stronger than their generic lawyer language about handloads in general.

And don't forget to file the front sight, even on the .44 Mag.

You may even want to file the front site completely flush.......

Dave, if you're really concerned about bear protection you might consider a 12gauge shotgun with slugs, rifled barrel, iron sights, good sling, not too long and easy to carry around. While the handguns provide some peace of mind, if you do run into a bad encounter they usually provide little else.

You might also consider bear spray as another option. I know it gets a bad rap here a lot, but frankly if I had to pull a handgun or bear spray in an instant to stop a real charge, I'd feel better with the bear spray.

Overall, I'd rather have the shotgun.
    Good luck,

Default Glock

Speaking of beating to death, did anyone mention filing the front sight off? I carry my glock in 45 when I am bow hunting. Take whatever you are most comfortable with because if you need to use it it will be close range.

I would never use a 357 for personal protection, The 357 has the sharpest, loudest bark of any handgun, if you pull it out and shoot it, you wont hear nothing for the rest of the day. Ear protection isnt always available in the few seconds that you have to respond a threat.

+1 for a shot gun or spray.
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

Quote Originally Posted by akspawnner View Post
    I would never use a 357 for personal protection, The 357 has the sharpest, loudest bark of any handgun, if you pull it out and shoot it, you wont hear nothing for the rest of the day. Ear protection isnt always available in the few seconds that you have to respond a threat.
    Ya, the 357 is loud but isn't in the same game as the 500 S&W. There's another aspect to carrying the bear spray - if that's all you have for personal protection and you are fishing in fairly close proximity with the "bears". Some individuals will be a little more alert and will choose their fishing location with just a little more thought for safety. Having a hogleg on their chest may give one a sense of security and they just might stay a couple seconds to long in a hot spot, whereas without the revolver one probably would have gave ground a little sooner. Myself, I would carry a double action revolver, keep checkin 6, use caution and common sense/experience to keep my distance from the bear with an inquisitive mind, as I don't mind giving ground (changing camping locations included) because I can always come back another day when the fishing is better. I like the 357 with hardcast in spite of the sharp report, just because. Have a great time and try not to loose too may "favorite lures".

Default Have U ever shot a 500 Smith& Wesson ?

Quote Originally Posted by akspawnner View Post

. You can get mauled ,and maybe killed and eaten , or maybe your ears will ring for a day , choice is yours ....

. Man , is this the city boy , no experience forum or what ... The guy is going to be fishing . Not hunting .. One of the Best known Master Guides in Alaska has done tests on brown bears skulls with the 357 mag with 180 gr -200 gr bullets and has got complete penetration .. You can buy Buffalo Bore ammo loaded with 196 gr . The 10 mm loaded with truncated cone silloute bullets in the 200 gr range works good from the Glock .... ...... If the Glock ran flawlessly I myself would choose it . .. But it depends on what you can hit the best with ....... And understand that if you get into a bad situation ,sometimes even a 458 Win mag may not help much .... And you would need a 20 Guage From Hell to improve on the 458,s preformance on bears , ( if you wonder what a 20 ga. or 12 ga FH is go to accurate reloading.com forums , scroll to Big Bore rifles and scroll to the thread on the 12 ga FH ...
    .....Take whichever pistol you can shoot the best with loaded with the heaviest bullets you can get that function flawlessly ... and have fun fishing .. ........ If a long gun is required for bear protection , get a 450 Marlin or 45/70 . in the Guide Gun configuration . load 350 - 540 gr bullets in them and have fun ... Shotguns are for Revinowers and birds ....And City boys .
    Last edited by LuJon; 06-28-2009 at 12:32. Reason: Flame rule

I would carry whichever was the most comfortable to carry, since that is pretty much all you are going to be doing is carrying it. Beyond that it is too close to call. I will probably go with a 10mm 1911 at some point mainly because I tend to leave my Redhawk at home or in the truck.