Thread: Katmai in a couple of weeks!

Default Katmai in a couple of weeks!

Hi everyone,
    I'm taking my photography trip of a lifetime in a couple of weeks to Brooks Campground. I'll be taking my Canon 70-200 L f/4, renting a 400 L f/5.6, and bringing my Sigma 17-70. I'll be going for three days so hopefully many unique opportunities arise. Does anybody have advice on where else to shoot from beside the platforms? What are your thoughts on jpeg vs. raw for the thousands of frames I'll be taking? I'm leaning toward jpeg to save on memory card space and ease of downloading once home. My goal is a few wall hangers from this trip and maybe a money shot for future sales! Any other thoughts and advice is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishon4mks View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I'm taking my photography trip of a lifetime in a couple of weeks to Brooks Campground. I'll be taking my Canon 70-200 L f/4, renting a 400 L f/5.6, and bringing my Sigma 17-70. I'll be going for three days so hopefully many unique opportunities arise. Does anybody have advice on where else to shoot from beside the platforms? What are your thoughts on jpeg vs. raw for the thousands of frames I'll be taking? I'm leaning toward jpeg to save on memory card space and ease of downloading once home. My goal is a few wall hangers from this trip and maybe a money shot for future sales! Any other thoughts and advice is appreciated.
    Got drawn for McNeil a few years ago. I was shooting film then and took over 900 images. I'm trying to get back there but have decided to focus on the few of the "best of the best". If you focus on the "good light" times and keep the backgrounds in mind you will put a few "artistic" limits to the number of shots to take during your stay.
    After shooting RAW for a few years now, I would have a hard time going back to jpeg. One thing I didn't have on my first trip was a cable release. It would have come in very handy when you are waiting on the "catch" for several minutes at a time!!
    EricL

What are your thoughts on jpeg vs. raw for the thousands of frames I'll be taking? I'm leaning toward jpeg to save on memory card space and ease of downloading once home.
    Compare the cost of just getting yourself on site to the cost of shooting raw; and shooting raw becomes a non-issue!

If you have a high end camera that can fill use two cards at once and produce a backup copy on one, it is reasonable to simply have enough memory cards to last for 3-4 days. Otherwise, bring along a laptop with enough external hard disk to make dual copies of everything on separate drives.

Memory cards are cheap. The time spent at home is cheap. The cost and effort of proper data handling is relatively small compared to the cost and effort to get the images in the first place, which means it makes no sense at all to risk losing anything, even the slightest possible quality adjustement, from even a single exposure.

Hi everyone,
    Shoot RAW, and download to a portable storage device such as the ones shown here:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...sl_6j05nboxl_b

I can't recommend any to you, simply because I don't use nor have one. I just carry two or three 4GB cards for around 900 RAW images. I would buy one with a bright screen for viewing photos if the need arises.

Thanks for the replies. I don't know what I was thinking. Yes I will shoot raw and have no regrets. Thanks EricL for the tip on the cable release, that with the live view hopefully I can get the "catch." I'm definitely looking forward to the sunrise and sunsets and hopefully less people around from all the day flights in.

Thumbs up Brooks Falls

I did have a trip of a lifetime with a good friend. We saw amazing bears and a wolf. Meeting people from all over the country and world was fun too. I filled my memory cards and mind with some wonderful memories. I highly recommend doing this trip. The most expensive part was the plane tickets, a bit over $600. Camping in the campground was fun and cheap. Check out my newly built website and let me know what you think. www.mischasorbophotography.com.

The pictures are great and I am glad the trip went well.. but some of the pictures have a bit of a heavily post processed look to them.

wxmanSam,
    Thanks for looking and the comments. Which ones do I need to take another look at. I get into a flow and my eyes are obviously not as trained to this stuff as they should be. Any critique is welcomed. I want my best foot forward.

Mischa

Nice shots and Looks like you had a great time! I hope to visit the same location next year, 2010.

http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

wxmanSam,
    Thanks for looking and the comments. Which ones do I need to take another look at. I get into a flow and my eyes are obviously not as trained to this stuff as they should be. Any critique is welcomed. I want my best foot forward.

Mischa
    I reread my initial post and apologize if it came off a little harsh! I understand the need to adjust photographs and see too many photographers fall into blanketing their pictures with the algorithms that all of the fancy programs create.

The one that jumped out to me from the thumbnail was this one:

The image was probably a little underexposed and you brought out the fill light? Sometimes that creates the dark halo around objects and makes it almost look like it was photoshopped in. Still the photographs are amazing... I just tend to jump to quickly on heavy post processing.

wxmanSam, it may be that his monitor needs calibrating. The image might look great on his computer, ours, a little rough.

Just a thought.

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

The three cubs I did do some levels, shadow/highlights, then dodging. It was a little over exposed so I tried to recover some of the water detail and detail in the cubs. As with some of the other bear shots. I'm not following on the halos, where are they and what are they caused by so I can correct the problem? I do use an older (5 yr) Acer laptop, after the canon 7D wishlist is a new desktop. Thanks guys for helping me.

Mischa

Default Brooks

Loved the photo album! I've been to Brooks on two occasions and it is something I will never forget and think of often.
    Jerry

Let us know about the gear. Anything you would have changed to not taken? Nice shots btw...
    EricL

Thanks guys for your nice comments. Eric regarding what worked well and not so much. Definitely a tripod with cable release. Going with two cameras and several lenses was needed. I'd have my primary lens with a 400 mm on the tripod then around my neck was the back up with my 70-200 lens. With sometimes 10 bears around you needed to be versatile. I rented the 400mm f5.6L from borrowlenses.com. with no complaints at all. The falls platform is definely combat photography. I never had a problem but my buddy was getting bumped into and had some attitude thrown his way. All the day trippers arrive around late morning and leave around dinner time. Shooting before and after these times weren't bad. You kind of get to know who is there for an extended period of time either camping or staying at the lodge. It was fun meeting these folks around the campground then after the platforms close at night back at the lodge for beers and drinks. Very nice people from all over the world. I highly recommend going for several days. I went for 4 days and was pleased with time I had. I also recommend the campground. Very cheap at $8 a night. There were plenty of tent sites, nice storage sheds, bathroom, and picnic areas. It is surrounded by an electric fence. I had my suspicions as to whether it was on or not. It would be very easy to touch going in and out of the gates, plus kids could be careless and bump into it. So one of the guys I met there put it to the test and touched all five ropes and didn't get shocked. Placebo effect for bears and campers I guess. I had a blast there and will go back again.

Did you research the best time of year to go? I am sure that when the salmon run is peaking would be best. Is there a time limit on how long one can camp there? Can anyone eat at the lodge ...I assume that there is a lodge. I will be tent camping though.

I didn't do a lot of research on the best time of year to go. I kind of used my experience on fishing reds here in southcentral and knew that the Kenai supports the biggest run in July. When looking on the site I saw July was the busiest month for campers. So I crazily joined the masses. The fish can be strong one day and gone the next though. I went July 11-14. The first two days were so so with fish barely jumping. The evening of the 13th they were jumping all over the place. This is when I got all my good catching pictures. So maybe later in the month is better? When I go back again I'm thinking of going in Sept. to see the bears filled out and to get the fall colors. I don't think there is a time limit to stay, if there is the reservation site would let you know. I loved camping, the lodge is pricey. Get on the reservation website around the beginning of January when the site opens for the year. Then you will have a better chance of getting multiple days together especially if its more than just you going. The 60 people a night limit can go fast for the month of July. The lodge does have meals that anybody can purchase. It's buffet style and pricey. I only ate there once for lunch, soup and salad. I took a bunch of Mountain House and other add water foods. Don't worry about what to do for stove gas. They have lots of left overs in the cache from earlier campers. Once they leave, and can't take it, it's up for grabs. Let me know of other questions.

Mischa

Default Try for this

Using a remote release do not take your eyes off the falls for even a second. As soon as you see a fish start to jump trip the shutter on burst mode.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tennessee