Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best .375 bullet for Brown Bear?

Default Best .375 bullet for Brown Bear?

Hello all,

I know this is probably an old topic of debate and has probably been discussed on this forum several times, but what type of bullet do you brown bear hunters like to use in your .375's? I have a spring bear hunt, out of Port Moller, in 2010 and was wondering what you all liked. A master guide (retired), who guded my dad on several hunts in the 1980's, told me to use nothing but Barnes, but I think there are others that would certainly work just as well (TBBC, Partions, Accubonds).

Also, I'm not a handloader, so it would need to be a factory loaded bullet. Thanks for any input you offer!

Wbygunner

Quote Originally Posted by wbygunner View Post
    Hello all,

I know this is probably an old topic of debate and has probably been discussed on this forum several times, but what type of bullet do you brown bear hunters like to use in your .375's? I have a spring bear hunt, out of Port Moller, in 2010 and was wondering what you all liked. A master guide (retired), who guded my dad on several hunts in the 1980's, told me to use nothing but Barnes, but I think there are others that would certainly work just as well (TBBC, Partions, Accubonds).

Also, I'm not a handloader, so it would need to be a factory loaded bullet. Thanks for any input you offer!

Wbygunner
    I have used the 260 gr Accubond, and the 270 gr Barnes TSX in my 375. Both are premium bullets that provide adequate killing power for any bear in AK. Some guys say the Barnes TSX acts like a solid and punch straight through animals, but in my experience they work as advertised.

I shot a large blackie with a Barnes TSX at 240 yards and the performance was perfect, instant lights out. The bullet entered the left shoulder leaving a .375 diameter hole in the hide, expanded immediately making a 2 inch hole through his scapula, and drove bone fragments through the vitals during bullet penetration.

Since you're not a handloader, look at the Federal premium ammo loaded with 260 gr Accubond. It will give you plenty of close range punch and excellent down range energy. The 300 grainers will work great too, you just can't get the velocity I like to see with them. I really like the mix of velocity and energy with the 260-270 grain bullets in the 375, it really makes them shine out to 400 yards.

BrentC,

Thanks for your insight. I was thinking the same thing myself about the increased velocity of the 260 grain bullets vs. the 300 grain. Have shot several deer and an elk with the Accubonds and really like the performance. Thanks again!

Wbygunner

270 Grain Remington green box CoreLokt. Mushroom perfectly, fast, accurate, inexpensive, easily available over the counter at most sporting goods stores, and will roll the critters over with authority.
    Tommy

300 grain Barnes TSX or Swift A Frames. Others obviously work, but I like premium bullets for dangerous game.

Brett

Thumbs up I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    300 grain Barnes TSX or Swift A Frames. Others obviously work, but I like premium bullets for dangerous game.

Brett
    I'm a big fan of the 300gr Swift A-frames out of my 375rum. Although I haven't used them, everyone seems to like the Barnes.

For me 300gr. Nosler Partition, but if your looking for your own personal favorite, I'd suggest experimenting with different bullets that fit the bill and find out what your gun likes.

Another vote for the 270 Barnes TSX.

Brett,

I've been shooting the 300 grain TSX's, and they're grouping well. Right now they're what I'm leaning towards using. I would be interested in trying the 270 grain TSX bullets, but no factory loads I'm aware of.

Wbygunner

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    For me 300gr. Nosler Partition, but if your looking for your own personal favorite, I'd suggest experimenting with different bullets that fit the bill and find out what your gun likes.
    + 1 , Federal Vital Shok 300gr Nosler Partitions are devistating on big critters!

Default Used both

swift a frames in 300 grain and the 270 grain tsx's. Both worked great. I reload the 270 grain tsx's for my ultra mag though. I shot a 3 shot group at 100 yards where they all touched, so they shoot VERY well out of my rifle.

Thanks guys, all great info.

Quote Originally Posted by wbygunner View Post
    Brett,

I've been shooting the 300 grain TSX's, and they're grouping well. Right now they're what I'm leaning towards using. I would be interested in trying the 270 grain TSX bullets, but no factory loads I'm aware of.

Wbygunner
    They perform for sure. I think you'll be pleased. I'm not aware of factory loading for the 270 grain tsx, but then again I handload.

Brett

Default Federal Ammo

If you're looking to buy factory .375 H&H ammo with the barnes TSX, it's shown on the Federal web site. They load the 300 grain in their Cape-Shok line of ammo. You can also get the 260 grain AccuBond in their Vital-Shok, and the 300 grain N.P. in their Cape-Shok.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntKodiak View Post
    If you're looking to buy factory .375 H&H ammo with the barnes TSX, it's shown on the Federal web site. They load the 300 grain in their Cape-Shok line of ammo. You can also get the 260 grain AccuBond in their Vital-Shok, and the 300 grain N.P. in their Cape-Shok.
    I've been trying to get a buddies 375H&H to shoot better with 300gr Barnes and hand loads but the Federal stuff shoots real well. The only problem I see with it is the $80.00 per box price.

We have improved the velocity a bit but the accuracy suffers when pushed.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    I've been trying to get a buddies 375H&H to shoot better with 300gr Barnes and hand loads but the Federal stuff shoots real well. The only problem I see with it is the $80.00 per box price.

We have improved the velocity a bit but the accuracy suffers when pushed.
    What's your accuracy? I was getting 1.25" 3 shot groups at 100 yards with 300 grain TSX at 2595fps.

Brett

I use only Barnes 270 TSX in my .375. They have worked fine on many sized critters from Brown Bear down to deer. I don't have to resight for different bullets for different game.

Default 300gr swift a-frame

Several bears and 2 moose no problem and very effective.

To comment on an earlier post, I used a Core Locked (375) bullet once on a moose because it's all I had in my pack. I wasn't the primary hunter and didn't expect to be hunting. I still have the bullet. It did not do the job without assistance. There's zero lead left in it, just a copper shell. Never again.

I never learned to handload and have little desire to do so. My 375 shoots Trophy Bonded Bear Claws but I rarely use it. I prefer my 300 Wby.

Thumbs up 375H&H & 270grn TSX's Vs. brown bear..

...a handloading winner with me for many years up here. The grizz I shot last fall dropped in his tracks on the first shot...100+ yds, shoulder shot angling down from the hill I was on, exited the lower rib cage...it never knew I was there.

Doc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast