Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ivishak

Default Ivishak

I was wondering If anyone new of any airboat outfitters that do drop offs on the Ivishak river.

Default FLY!

The airboat guy, after face-to-face telling me he wanted to work with me, never returned the ten calls I later made to him.

I suggest flying into the Ivishak. For 1200 pound loads I suggest Coyote Air out of Coldfoot. But for smaller loads, out of Happy Valley, I have some other positive and negitive suggestions if your need/want more info. PM sent.

Dennis

Yeah there is an airboat service up there that an outfitter runs I have looked at thier website before they did a show with the ex NFL linebacker on North to Alaska like a year or so ago cant remember thier name. I am interested also in this hunt next August and have been looking into it. Does anyone have any figures on what some of these companies charge roughly to fly you out of happy valley or coldfoot and so forth and what the hunting is like floating the ivashak as far as bou? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Default airboat

Goldrush.....something....is their name.
    Since the Larry Csonka show, Goldrush has not often returned calls....

babyblue...the "secret" of the Ivishak, is no longer a secret.
    If you do a check of the forum archives, you will find a wealth of recent info.

dennis

Yeah I have noticed that and the wildlife biologist are also pointing people in that direction for a slam dunk bou hunt as they put it??

Quote Originally Posted by babyblue7 View Post
    Yeah I have noticed that and the wildlife biologist are also pointing people in that direction for a slam dunk bou hunt as they put it??
    There was nothing "slam dunk" about my last trip up the river in 2002. Put in north of Pump Station 2 on the Sag (pipeline mile 52 I think?) and motored up the Ivishak past the bluffs. Hunted for six days and aside from the trooper who helicoptered in to check our licenses, the only living creatures we saw were three small cow caribou on day two and the grizzly who visited our campsite on day six as we were in the process of packing up.

On the plus side of things, I learned how to sharpen an impeller while grounded to a gravel bar in the middle of the river; I didn't have to deal with a bunch of people stumbling over our campsite or camping just over the hill above us; I learned I can drive a boat up a raging river (this was the flood-season of 2002 when the Sag was pushing 48,000 CFS) and I learned a GPS isn't a very good way to plot a course when the river drops from max flood stage to below normal in the span of five days. I also learned the value of a simple 8' long 2x4 when the slough you park in isn't actually a slough and you wake up to see your 19' heavy-gauge Sprint sitting on solid ground.

Will I ever make this trip again? Sure. Provided someone else drives up the haul road, it's someone else's boat we run up the river, and I already have meat in the freezer.

LOL That sounded like an adventure of the kind I dont really look forward to seeing there Diesel Nut! Shew thanks for the input. I have heard the water flows up there can go up and down so fast it is unreal but that puts it in a whole new perspective. I have been in the same situation on the dry docked boat luckly mine was in a tidal area and just had to wait several hours. Guess thats what happens when you shoot game to far from the beach and you have to skin and pack two bears out and it takes several hours. So the bou hunting was slow up there has anyone else seen these types of numbers or what?

Default Alaska Goldrush adventures

Randy Quincy

I did the trip last year and am doing it again this year.

He limits the drop off hunts to one group of 4 a week. $750.00 per person or 3K per group up.

Last year I seen 4 animals off the river I think.

Our group limited on Caribou though. Slam dunk it was for us but you have to get off the river. Plan on shooting your animals a mile or 2 off the river is what we found.

I have been told you can catch them on the river but we never did really. Randy isn't the only airboat that runs up there as we seen others. He is the only drop off service I know of.

I also watched caribou a mile off the river stand and watch an airboat and then promptly get farther off the river. They might not be a smart critter but they sure as heck didn't seem to hang around when they heard a airboat.

We spoke to some people that were dropped off up in the canyon and they did ok as well.

Plan on people all over the river and camps in the main known crossings.

hunt hard and get off the river a ways and you will get a shot I think.

As far as Randy calling you back I have never had that problem.

I'd have to say Randy is a stand up guy,you leave a messeage he will call you back....My 2 cents...........

I've never used Randy's services but he did help me out of a jam on the Ivishak (boat broke down). I agree, He is a honest stand up guy. If I were to ever use a transporter up there it would be him for sure. I think www.Airboatfishing.com is his website
    Last edited by ratlmn; 06-27-2009 at 12:05. Reason: web address

Default Ivishak

Expect lots of company, between the aircharters and the Air Boat guy they are dumping hunters everywhere, seem like the bou have been conditioned to away from the river, yes you will hear about some being taken from camp or raft, but those are few and far between. We floated it last year, we either saw, or heard the air boat everyday, As far as Randy limiting the number of hunters he takes in think again, we saw him everyday with a new load headed up river, and plenty of people with thier own boats. The air charter we used asked how long we would stay at our drop spot because he had more clients he wanted to drop there. 4 of us took 3 dink bulls, we saw more hunters than caribou. Spend the extra money and fly over to the Canning.

AKHUNTER 02

Here is the misconception on Randy running up river every day that most people don't know.

He drops one group a week off up river and usually at the same spot to start out. This is the float hunters

This he does as a transporter.

He is also semi guiding a group a week up there on his own. For 3K per person you stay at his camp where he provides all and he runs you daily pretty much everywhere up there. So you will see him daily. He covers some serious ground as you probably seen.

IMO the guy that you have to look out for is ********* **********. They drop people off DAILY in or around the same spot. He flys them in and drops them one after another and the river really does take a pounding.

Randy has become a friend of mine and I do pay for his services and will continue to do so.

If it is a float and shoot your looking for this isn't your trip to go on.

If it is a float camp and hunt (walking 6 miles a day) this could be for you.

Just my opinion as we all have our own.
    Last edited by LuJon; 06-28-2009 at 01:59. Reason: negative comment rule

I agree, ********* is bad news, and would avoid them like the black plague!! but when you have 4 charter services droping hunters its never a good thing. It could be that Randy is only droping one group of hunters per week, I know a few of the runs he was making had 4 people and lots of gear, looked like drop camps but I never talked to them so they could have been guided.

The Ivishak is a great beginner river to float, fishing is great! and if your looking for a camping/fishing trip and a caribou meat hunt its hard to beat.

One think I dont like about Randys service is that its a $3000 weather theres one person or 4, So for two hunters its cheaper to fly in and get droped farther up. One advantage of Randys out that I like is that he picks you up at the take out point. So your rig is already waiting for you when you float out.
    Last edited by LuJon; 06-28-2009 at 01:59. Reason: negative comment rule

You probably seen us August 22nd last year with him. We looked like gypsies with our 5 guys and two rafts going up with him.

The reason I picked that trip was just like you said a beginner float and it was my first and I took my 8 year old. It was pretty sweet for him. The fishing was off the hook.

This year we are going up on the 29th hoping for more char and then next year I will go somewhere more remote as he will be 10.

I do know of people that have flown in way up higher and scored some nice boo and seen some big moose as well.

We spoke to a guy last year with his two dogs that had put in on the upper Atigun and had been floating 17 days when we seen him. He lived on beans and rice and grayling and only had a small pack.

You might have seen him?

Quote Originally Posted by 375ultramag View Post
    We spoke to a guy last year with his two dogs that had put in on the upper Atigun and had been floating 17 days when we seen him. He lived on beans and rice and grayling and only had a small pack.

You might have seen him?
    Was it this guy???

http://www.alpackaraft.com/forums/vi...t=atigun#p1473

Yep that is him. He is lucky he still has those dogs.

We seen them first coming down the bank before the raft and after seeing multiple foxes you can only guess what came to mind.

Ended up catching up with him in Coldfoot on the way back for a burger.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger 275 View Post
    I was wondering If anyone new of any airboat outfitters that do drop offs on the Ivishak river.
    Welcome to the forum man. Glad to have you.

Your question has been answered I see. After hearing about 375Ultramags great trip, I contacted Randy myself. Price for just the wife and I at $3,000, but this guy was super nice to us and replied to my emails with lots of info and insight. I was impressed. Like said earlier, he only does one trip every 5-7 days and the cost is 3k whether you have one guy or four going. But the service is top notch I am sure. Just too pricey when it was just the wife and I going. Great dolly fishing river though. I make have to take this trip at some point in the future. Contact info below....

Randy Quincy
    1-866-3SALMON (372-5666)
    www.airboatfishing.com
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Here is the link to my trip last year.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3077688...7607534436637/

It was my first year hunting caribou so this year the goal is to find some big bulls.

Looks like an awesome trip man. Thanks for posting the pics. Nice fish too
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast