Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bear spray brand

Default bear spray brand

What brand of bear spray do you guys buy? Need to pick some up for a WY elk hunt in griz country and I seriously doubt they have anything I will trust my life too on the shelfs here in Ohio.

Hornady and Buffalo Bore

I look at the side of the can and get the one with the highest percentage of capsicum
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Default Udap

I have used UDAP spray for years both in Wyo and AK and never had a problem with it. It repells everything from squirrels to noisy neighbors to charging moose and bears. here is a link to their website: http://www.udap.com/

UDAP or Counter Assault

Counter Assault will spray 7.2 seconds from their small can
    UDAP will spray 4 seconds from a similarly sized can

Either one is good.

Mosin Nagant, 7.62X54R.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Red face Udap

I have some more bear spray info to think about. I was warned about outdated canisters losing their pressure so I tested one of mine this weekend. It was UDAP and expired 7 years ago. The good news is it had great pressure and could put clouds of pepper out at 20 plus feet after all those years. We were coughing for a while. so I dont think you need to worry about spray expiring. The bad news is I needed to aim 5 feet low and 5 feet right to hit the target at 20 feet in a very light wind which is alarming cause it probably wont do much good in windy Kodiak or AK Pen. But I would carry it for nuisance bears and dogs if nothing else....
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    The bad news is I needed to aim 5 feet low and 5 feet right to hit the target at 20 feet in a very light wind which is alarming ................
    Hmmm, very interesting, wonder if the next can "shoots" high and left...........................
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Default Flip side

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    ...I dont think you need to worry about spray expiring...
    On the flip side, I just looked over our old canister of bear spray. We've carried it occasionally over the last 9 or 10 years. Never used it, and haven't carried it in a year or two.

It was supposed to contain a net product weight of 9 oz. The gross weight of the 'sealed' canister was roughly 5 oz. I just got rid of it and will replace with a new one.

Three thoughts..

For brands, Counter Assault and UDAP are good bets. Buy the big can. Most folks fail to talk about how many bears return after you spray them the first time

If you test the can, be sure to take a Q-tip with a bit of rubbing alchohol on it and wipe the nozzle. I was a prison guard for five years and this is what we did after using our cans. They will clog up if you don't keep the nozzle clean.

If you are flying, you can't take the can on the plane. I assume you know this, but could not help but to tell you just in case.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Hornady and Buffalo Bore
    +1

My thoughts exactly
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I don't know how well that bear spray stuff works, but it sure stings when I spray my head, have not seen a bear while wearing it so it must work.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

hornady 454 jhp work great but you only get 6 shots out of a quality canister.

Enough joking, I would not buy spray period. You have a gun and the bear don't. You have a finger to pull the trigger and the bear don't. Enough said. Carry bullets and if the problem comes up take care of it.... Good luck.... that is why you are a HUNTER!!!! have fun on your hunt..

Robbie

If your going to use bear spray instead of a good bear bullet, the brand or the percentage of OC isn't as important as the size of the can and the heat rating of the OC. It's rated in scovill heat units and the more concentrated it is the higher the rating. I have seen it from 250,000 to 3million scovill heat units and they may have it higher now. The stuff is derived from jalopeno or habenero peppers. Jalopenos are rated at 7500units and habeneros at about 100,000units.As a Correctional Officer I've had it used on me and have used it several times on other people. It is very effective in making it so you can't see for a while and does hurt some. It's effective range is very limited and I wouldn't try to use it much beyound about 5 feet on a bear and if he's that close it's time for lead poisening not just making him madder than he already is. If your talking black bears, ok maybe but grizz need more convincing.

Good info, this is for a hunt in WY game warden has made it clear to me he does NOT like shooting bears or loosing any meat to bears. He writes tickets. Pretty much if I do not do everything right and have/use bear spray I am going to be in trouble.

Shoot an elk in the evening and loose any meat to a bear and he gives a ticket, he will not shoot one in the evening to avoid the risk so no one should.

I understand him and agree so I plan to prepare accordingly. I do not want to shoot a protected animal unless I must. I am packing in so weight also matters.

Sounds like that warden has some control issues...

So , In WY, you cannot defend your life without legal retribution?
    That isnt good.

Still , when your walking along and Mr.Grizz is 25 feet behind you and closing, your not gonna want to set the rifle down and dig out the can.
    If weight is a factor, maby buy the keychain sized one,for you, and just spice yourself up for the mauling....he might spit you out quicker.

If a Grizz comes and takes your meat my mental picture is a laugh..... a good senario for you chasing him, noxious fumes can aspraying, worrying about a ticket........

Hang your meat up in trees, piss at each ones base and at camp build a large fire and make noise, or better yet, have a loose dog or two that are familiar with trhe woods ... your Bears will stay away.

Good luck

PS, does ANYBODY,???????? I mean ANYBODY!!!!...even second hand????? have had a "Success' with spraying and turning a charging Brown with this stuff???
    That would be interesting.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

The warden sounds like an idiot and should be reported for putting hunters at risk.

S&W 329 PD .44 mag w/ buffalo bore or corbon

Default Yup

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    PS, does ANYBODY,???????? I mean ANYBODY!!!!...even second hand????? have had a "Success' with spraying and turning a charging Brown with this stuff???
    That would be interesting.
    Yup. It's a question that's come up before.

Here's an Alaska story about a couple I know personally. http://www.adn.com/bearattacks/story/147318.html
    Carl is a veteran and martial artist and no stranger to high intensity situations.

Here's another that cites Carl's experience along with a few others: http://www.alaskamagazine.com/index....601&Itemid=141

You sure got one piece of advice right, Strangerinastrangeland - take good precautions with your meat, but if a bear gets into it, I wouldn't go after him with pepper spray. Hang the meat high, scent mark the tree(s), surround them with a lightweight bear fence if you can, then fight the ticket later if some dimwit writes you one. A decent LEO will see you took precautions and won't write one.

Pepper spray is for personal defense - it's a one-shot deal and you don't want to use that shot BEFORE you're packing meat out if you can help it.

Default Hyder bears

The USFS employees have used the spray at the Bear viewing area at Hyder, Ak many times in the past. Like 15 or more times.

I believe it has always worked on Brown Bears.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast