Thread: black currents...

Default black currents...

anyone? Anyone here grow currents?

I have grown currents, but I wouldn't get the black ones in my opinion they don't tast as good.

I have black currents, I love them now is the time to cut starts PM me if you would like a few starts I am in Palmer.

I bought 3 1 gallon containers of red currants at Home Depot at the end of May and planted them where they'd get full sun. I've done nothing but water them and one looks like it will produce a few berries this year.

I thought about black, but read somewhere they don't do well here (?).

My black currants did just great this year. Had a lot of them coming on strong, big beautiful currants. I was going to pick them today, but a bear beat me to them! At least the bruin didn't ruin the plants. . .Next year I'll plant some more in a fenced area. The few he missed tasted excellent. (I'm in Southeast).

My Black and Red Currants are doing about equally well. For some reason the rabbits and moose don't like to eat the leaves. They love my blueberries plants. They all survived last winter (and it got cold last winter.)

What do you do with the starts?
    That's what she said...

We have black currents that grow wilf around here. they were always a favorite of us kids when we were little. I keep meaning to go pick some and make something out of them. Do they make good jam?
    Take care of the earth. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children.

I know people make wine out of them.
    That's what she said...

Default Jam

Quote Originally Posted by akcowgirl View Post
    We have black currents that grow wilf around here. they were always a favorite of us kids when we were little. I keep meaning to go pick some and make something out of them. Do they make good jam?
    We don't have too many but I make jam out of the ones we get every summer, and it's the first to be gone because it's everyone's favorite. PM me for recipes.