Thread: Cod fishing on the Spit @ Lanes End in Homer

Default Cod fishing on the Spit @ Lanes End in Homer

For anyone that has fished cod off the spit in Homer at Lanes end I would like to know if youve ever found any worms in your Cod?

I cleaned mine on beach but didnt package them up. I put them on ice and travelled back to Anchorage and when I went to fillet them, they were packed full of these small, long brown worms.
    I tossed it all out but feel that It was a complete waste of fish. 40+ lbs gone.
    If youve experienced this or know anyone who has, PLEASE let me know.

ya, im no expert on fish and worms, but have fished in homer in the past, and it was pretty much common knowledge that you didnt eat the cod there. from what i hear some people do, i just imagine youd have to clean and cook them well. there was a pretty informative thread on this a lil while ago, you might have to look it up. to answer your question, yes the cod in homer have worms.
    sevenmag

A recent thread about cod and worm-imbedded sandwiches can be found here:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ighlight=worms

The fish off the spitt at Lands Inn are eating waste from the fish processors. The waste gives them a fairly concentrated diet of worms.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Wow.

Thanks for the info everyone. Too bad I tossed all that fish now. I woulda just picked out the worms and made batter fried yummies with the filets.

Guess as long as I clean them within minutes after catching it, I should be ok. Just look and pick out any worms I see when I filet them back at camp then pack on ice and bring home then candle them as I seal them up for my freezer.

Is there any place other than in Homer Spit you could catch them off the beach where there isnt a process plant pumping leftovers in the water nearby?? Because I really do love a good cod filet. Good ole Fish & Chips with a cold ale.

You need food to draw the fish for consistant action from shore, that means processing plants or cleaning tables. Or you need someones hard faught knowledge.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/