Thread: Salmon sharks in Cook Inlet

Default Salmon sharks in Cook Inlet

We were fishing in Homer last week and salmon sharks attacked our halibut. We were about 30 + miles out. They tore up the first one to shreds, took everything but the head off the second one, and took the entire thing on the 3rd one. I didn't have a setup or I could have easily hooked one. I read that a Ninilchik charter had the same thing happen and landed a 500 pounder, picture was in a Homer paper of some sort.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default photo and article

575-pound salmon shark caught by Arizona angler

By Aaron Selbig
    Staff Writer

After reeling in his two-halibut limit Monday, Scottsdale, Ariz., angler Joe Pinto was feeling pretty proud of himself.
    Pinto, fishing in Cook Inlet aboard the Ninilchik Charters' vessel Arctic Endurance, said he had caught a 55-pound and a 35-pound halibut and was "just sitting around doing nothing" when he decided to do a little catch-and-release fishing.

Soon, Pinto, his five fellow fishermen and boat Capt. Allen Henderson realized they had company when two of their lines turned up with half-eaten halibut.
    Sensing a salmon shark as the likely culprit, Henderson quickly put together a rig of cod on a J-hook, attached it to 50 feet of 1,500-pound cable and dropped it into the water.
    With Pinto at the other end, the line suddenly took off, reeling off 200 feet before he could get control of it.
    "That shark hit that thing instantaneously and the fight was on. It was fun and exciting. We didn't think it was going to happen at first, but he just kept working and reeling it in and we got it," said Henderson.
    Pinto, who hadn't been fishing since moving to Arizona from New York 18 years ago, said his adrenaline was pumping as the shark got closer and closer to the boat.
    "It felt great a once-in-a-lifetime experience. It was an hour-long struggle with a lot of give and take," he said.
    It took a harpoon, three gunshots and six people to finally get the 575-pound, 8-foot, 6-inch monster on board, said Pinto, and when they arrived back in Ninilchik, a crane was needed to unload it.
    Pinto credited Henderson and his fellow fishermen for getting the shark into the boat and shared the meat with all of them. The skin was three-quarters of an inch thick, he said, and minus the blood, guts, fins and head, there was only about 125 pounds of meat left over.
    "We grilled some of it right there at the charter office. We threw some butter and pepper on it and it was good kind of like a fishy halibut," said Pinto.
    Salmon sharks are a fairly common in Cook Inlet waters, but this one was the first one of the year to make it into the boat, said Henderson.
    Pinto, who works as an environmental planner for the Maricopa County Department of Transportation, said he was already looking forward to his next trip to Alaska.
    "I normally don't bring in 700 pounds of fish in a day. I may fish more than one day next time," he said.
    Aaron Selbig can e reached at aaronselbig.@homernews.com.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default One Salmon Shark no longer in Cook Inlet

We ran into Salmon Shark in Cook Inlet this last part of May.
    Attached is a pdf of one salmon shark that is no longer in Cook Inlet. Halibut fishing in the Deep Creek area, I thought I had a barn door, turned out to be a salmon shark. We shot and harpooned it before it realized my halibut gear would have been too light to hold it. It's good eating, looks like swordfish steaks on the grill. Didn't weigh it(couldn't lift it and didn't have a big enough scale.)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Wow I would love to hook into one of those! What do they taste like? Swordfish? What is the limit on them? Sorry lots of questions.

What do they taste like? Swordfish? What is the limit on them? Sorry lots of questions.
    What do they taste like? Yep, Swordfish
    What is the limit on them(Them is sharks, not just salmon sharks)? 1 per day 2 per year
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

What's the process for bleeding and butchering a salmon shark once caught?

Exclamation time for my shark meat soapbox speech.

they are VERY HIGH in mercury. DO NOT feed salmon shark to children, pregnant women, or women who may someday become pregnant.
    the only other fish with comparable levels of methyl mercury are yelloweye and lingcod, and some large halibut.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    they are VERY HIGH in mercury. DO NOT feed salmon shark to children, pregnant women, or women who may someday become pregnant.
    the only other fish with comparable levels of methyl mercury are yelloweye and lingcod, and some large halibut.
    Dave,
    Do you have sources for mercury content in salmon sharks? I'm not doubting you, but this is one of those things that people repeat but I've never seen any studies. Is this an assumption because they are sharks, or is there really data on mercury content on salmon sharks out there? Thanks if you can.

Default Sources of Meythl mercury...

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    Dave,
    Do you have sources for mercury content in salmon sharks? I'm not doubting you, but this is one of those things that people repeat but I've never seen any studies. Is this an assumption because they are sharks, or is there really data on mercury content on salmon sharks out there? Thanks if you can.

In the Gulf of Mexico they termed it "lawyers disease." Wealthy fisherman were fishing the oil rigs and taking home their prize catch and feeding it too their families... Turns out the meythl mercury is used w/ oil drilling process and is discarded over the side of the rigs w/ the drilling sludge by product. I am posting couple links to articles that propose other sources and question accuracy of these studies.

Facts sheet on meythl mercury in the enviromnet:
    http://www.usgs.gov/themes/factsheet/146-00/

Articles:
    http://infoaboutalaska.com/book-revi...nosis-mercury/

http://www.peninsulaclarion.com/stor...66738846.shtml

my info comes from a long term study done by DEC and F&G.
    i have the study results around her somewhere, and i am pretty sure i have posted them in the past.
    i think you should be able to find the info either here in the archives or the ADN. you could also call Dr. ken goldman at homer ADF&G and ask him about it.

ADN article: http://www.adn.com/money/industries/...ry/213186.html
    Last edited by homerdave; 06-27-2009 at 07:55. Reason: add link
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

There is some interesting data in slide 9 of 19 of the presentation linked below.

http://www.alaskapublichealth.org/pdf/peri/113cons.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by tduJdPx View Post
    There is some interesting data in slide 9 of 19 of the presentation linked below.

http://www.alaskapublichealth.org/pdf/peri/113cons.pdf
    I thought it was interesting that on slide 17 it was recommended that Women of child bearing age and children eat salmon shark no more than once per week. It looks like salmon shark has approximately 5-6 times the mercury content of salmon. I also thought it was interesting that for women of childbearing age and children they could eat unlimited halibut under 20 pounds, but no more than once per week of halibut over 90 pounds and ling cod over 45 inches.