Thread: What is Fish and Game thinking?

Default What is Fish and Game thinking?

Just looked at the new regs and saw in unit 25c that non residents get to hunt from 5 Sept thru the 25th. Resident hunt is from the 1st till the 15th. It seems like we get a 5 day head start but non residents get 10 more days. Since when do non residents get more hunting days than residents in a specific area that is on the road system? Just dosent make sense to someone that has lived here and hunted there for 35 years.

Default seems odd

Residents get a 4 day head start and non-residents get 6 more days. Seems odd, I would rather have the time at the end.

Default New Regulations

I heard the new hunting regulations have a few mistakes. Called and found out they have a handout available listing the goofs. Maybe Unit 25 is one of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Buck52 View Post
    I heard the new hunting regulations have a few mistakes. Called and found out they have a handout available listing the goofs. Maybe Unit 25 is one of them?
    Well thats nice to know. Geez, you could be following to the letter of the law based on whats in the regs, but if you didn't get the little handout that spelled out F&Gs mistakes in printing the regs you can find yourself in deep water.

33 years I have lived and hunted in this state, year after year it seems non-residents are getting more and more preferential treatment and consideration than us residents.

The 25C reg you mention shows it obviously, even more so due to the fact that moose hunting is better the later into Sept it is.

I think the revenue F&G gleans from non-res tags and licenses is clouding the judgment of the BOG so much, it is getting too difficult for them to see the State Constitution clearly.

With the price paid for all services to the game commissions there should be NO mistakes, but the problem is--no one working for a tax receiving dept. GIVES A **** about the people.

Ah, what taxes? There is a surcharge on fishing licenses for the new hatcheries, no state taxes, no tax on hunting license. Are you referring to the federal tax (Pittman-Robertson) on hunting and shooting stuff?
    No matter how hard you try, there will always be, unforunately, mistakes.
    If you look at the regs, there are a lot of resident onmly hunrts so I do not agree that the residents are being pushed out.

I think it's time to take advantage of hunting in other states. Perhaps we will find it more beneficial than hunting here in Alaska.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Talking

It was purposefully done, to help the guides. They lobbied hard to get this opened up. Simple economics. Money talks.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Cool it is a booboo

Anybody feeling a wee bit paranoid this morning?
    The ending date for nonresidents is a booboo-typo.
    Plain and simply.

"BOO", says all those big, economic minded guide-outfitters.
    Keep it real...

dennis

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    I think it's time to take advantage of hunting in other states. Perhaps we will find it more beneficial than hunting here in Alaska.

GOOD LUCK WITH THAT ONE! I lived in AK for 5 years and very unwillingly moved to the lower 48 and can tell you that there is NO better place to hunt as a resident than AK. How many species can you kill with one license that costs $25? MULTIPLE. Compare that to ANYWHERE in the lower 48 and see what you get. The lower 48 SUCKS. Endless private lands, people EVERYWHERE, much more expensive tags for residents than what an AK resident can kill on one tag, and MUCH shorter seasons for big game in many areas.

I'm not saying one way or another if the NR is getting more in AK, if they are then it's because $$ talks, just like everything in this world - but you still have a GIGANTIC state to hunt in and I'm willing to bet can still go harvest any animal you choose regardless if NR's are getting "more". Some places down here, if you can get on certain land, you don't hunt that species, period.

Come on down, hang out for a few years - I'll bet every gun I own you'd be on a plane back to AK and would never think twice about hunting the lower 48 again.

Thumbs down

While we are on the discussion of things fish and game and the BOG are doing wrong whats up with the antlerless moose hunt seasons going past the time when bulls drop their antlers? The entire point of these hunts is to trim down the cow moose population yet they allow bulls that have dropped their antlers to be harvested as well? The unit 20A registration hunt is now 10 Jan-28 Feb. Why are these hunts not held in the fall during regular moose season or at least earlier while bulls still have their antlers?

Quote Originally Posted by Shoot2Kill View Post
    GOOD LUCK WITH THAT ONE! I lived in AK for 5 years and very unwillingly moved to the lower 48 and can tell you that there is NO better place to hunt as a resident than AK. How many species can you kill with one license that costs $25? MULTIPLE. Compare that to ANYWHERE in the lower 48 and see what you get. The lower 48 SUCKS. Endless private lands, people EVERYWHERE, much more expensive tags for residents than what an AK resident can kill on one tag, and MUCH shorter seasons for big game in many areas.
    Oh so true. Lived in Idaho for about 12 years and for the money you spent it was somewhat ridiculous. Compared to AK everyone is on the downside. Buy a harvest ticket and your off. Buy a tag in the lower 48 and it has to be for these dates, on this hunt, for this species.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    It was purposefully done, to help the guides. They lobbied hard to get this opened up. Simple economics. Money talks.
    Agreed. IMO the guides are the only thing that stop the F&G from allowing brown bear hunting over bait in some units. Money talks thats for sure.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Saw this posted elsewhere.

Corrections to 2009-2010 Ak. Hunting Regs

Moose- Unit 14C Chugach State Park Mgmt Area (page 75)
    Bag Limit: One bull with spike-fork antlers or 50 inch antlers or antlers with 3 or more brow tines on at least one side

Moose- Unit 16B Remainder (page 80)
    Resident season: Aug. 20 - Sept. 20

Moose- Unit 25C (page 117)
    Nonresident season: Sept. 5 - Sept. 15

Since when do non residents get more hunting days than residents in a specific area that is on the road system? Just dosent make sense to someone that has lived here and hunted there for 35 years.
    $$$$$$$$$$$
    Now what ?

Licenses are a tax and only the feds tax tax

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    While we are on the discussion of things fish and game and the BOG are doing wrong whats up with the antlerless moose hunt seasons going past the time when bulls drop their antlers? The entire point of these hunts is to trim down the cow moose population yet they allow bulls that have dropped their antlers to be harvested as well? The unit 20A registration hunt is now 10 Jan-28 Feb. Why are these hunts not held in the fall during regular moose season or at least earlier while bulls still have their antlers?
    Because the locals complained due to the damage the influx of moose hunters was causing to the trail systems. Most notably the Rex trail. With a late hunt like this then there will be no trail damage to worry about as it will all be solid ice! For the most part Fish and game just want less moose in there. Some bulls getting shot will still be less animals chowing down on the alders.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Because the locals complained due to the damage the influx of moose hunters was causing to the trail systems. Most notably the Rex trail. With a late hunt like this then there will be no trail damage to worry about as it will all be solid ice! For the most part Fish and game just want less moose in there. Some bulls getting shot will still be less animals chowing down on the alders.
    If the trail damage was the reason then why not hold it from 1 Oct-31 Dec when the majority of bulls still have their antlers and the ground is frozen?

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    If the trail damage was the reason then why not hold it from 1 Oct-31 Dec when the majority of bulls still have their antlers and the ground is frozen?
    I could see a couple reasons. Depending on the number of animals they want taken then allowing hunting during the rut could lead to them ovedrshooting their goal. The other is that during Oct-Nov there is less snow and it is warmer so they would still have more people in there. From what I saw there was a lot of "adventurous" folks blazing new trails on wheelers. The deeper snow later on would cause the wheelers to stay on the main trails and the sled trails will all disapear in the spring. Just some thoughts, the real reaso could be totally arbitrary. I have a feeling that they don't care whether it is bulls or cows taken but more that a moose is taken. If you are really interested call the local Bio, I am sure they would have some insight.