Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting your own reloads

Default Shooting your own reloads

Hey Vince, I told ya I'd post something here if nothing went wrong during my first day of shooting my own loads and here I am.

Went to the range today and tested the loads I did for my 300 win mag and the 30-30. Quite an education. First of all, I discovered the 300 is just not something to sit and fire 15 rounds through no matter how much I decrease the load. It just pounds my shoulder into mush so I'm going to increase the loads next time and shoot less until I find a load I like. Second, running 20 rounds through a 30-30 is fun as hell. Third, Iím going to increase the amount of crimp on my 30-30 rounds while also increasing the powder charge a little bit and fourth, I need a chronograph.

All in all, I enjoyed the heck out of today's shooting and I'm hooked on this big time.

I chronograph is sure fun. I just got back from shooting over my chronograph the first time. I have yet to really look at the results, but it was nice to see the velocity. My chronograph is a Competition Electronics $110 at midway. I can't speak to its life as I just got it but so far I like it a lot.

Make up a sand bag that you can put between the rifle and your shoulder for the sharp kickers. Makes a world of difference. And yea, nothing like rolling your own unless it's shooting something with your own hand loads.

Bookseller, glad to hear you came back in one piece. Was the first handload you pulled the trigger on a little nerve racking? lol

I'll be shooting at Birchwood almost every Monday this summer. You are more than welcome to join me if you would like.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Make up a sand bag that you can put between the rifle and your shoulder for the sharp kickers. Makes a world of difference. And yea, nothing like rolling your own unless it's shooting something with your own hand loads.
    Not a bad idea, I usually stuff a t-shirt inside my shirt but I forgot to bring one today and tried to tough it out. By the time I started firing rounds from the third load I knew I was flinching so I put it away and got the 30-30 out.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Bookseller, glad to hear you came back in one piece. Was the first handload you pulled the trigger on a little nerve racking? lol

I'll be shooting at Birchwood almost every Monday this summer. You are more than welcome to join me if you would like.
    lol, yes it was nerve racking. After the first shot I took a look at the target and saw I had actually hit the paper where I expected to. Then I inspected the case and rifle and all looked normal so I relaxed a bit.

I'm usually off every Monday so that might be very do-able. I have more shooting I want to do to with the 30-30, I'll be making up some rounds for my .44 soon and I need to zero the scope on my 10/22 so there's lots of shooting ahead for me.

Get LEE factory crimp die for the 30-30win its a collet type cimper. And the chrony is a must you can see as you work up the charnge its effect in velocty and std deviation. This and the group dia will tell you where to stop and what powder works best and its ofton under max.

I hear the 150gr Speer is a great bullet for velocity in 20" tube and performs very well too boot. The 170 REM CoreLokt RN is another top pick for the 30-30win.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    You might consider just getting a 25 lb bag of bird shot to use for this purpose. The idea is to make the rifle effectively heavier but not by just a pound or two, by a bunch. And if anyone calls it a sissy bag, that is the name of it.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well Book ow you know WHY my 300 is ported... and trigger jobed. like shooting squirrles with mine. ( yeah i know,,,) i aim fo the head less waisted meat

i can run about 30 180gn ballistic tips through it before i feel it....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default P.A.S.T recoil protector

Stuffing something thick between your shoulder and the buttstock of a rifle is a P.I.T.A. and also changes the pull of the stock. I have used P.A.S.T. recoil protectors that attach to your shirt or jacket and they make a real difference in felt recoil. I recommend the magnum model. I have seen them at Great Northern Guns, Sportsman's Whor, uh, Warehouse and Midway, of course. Sure beats humping around a bag of shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    well Book ow you know WHY my 300 is ported... and trigger jobed. like shooting squirrles with mine. ( yeah i know,,,) i aim fo the head less waisted meat

i can run about 30 180gn ballistic tips through it before i feel it....
    LOL, a 300 win mag for squirrels. That might just be the definition of overkill but at least it works. Hell, even if you miss, the shock wave of the bullet passing by will probably kill the poor little bugger!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Bookseller View Post
    LOL, a 300 win mag for squirrels. That might just be the definition of overkill but at least it works. Hell, even if you miss, the shock wave of the bullet passing by will probably kill the poor little bugger!
    you would be surprised at the resilanciy of a squirrle.... those are some TOUGH lil buggers... oz for oz... i would take a bear on... imagine a 1200lb flyin screaming demon... that would be little parka dude...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Hey Vince, I told ya I'd post something here if nothing went wrong during my first day of shooting my own loads and here I am.

Went to the range today and tested the loads I did for my 300 win mag and the 30-30. Quite an education. First of all, I discovered the 300 is just not something to sit and fire 15 rounds through no matter how much I decrease the load. It just pounds my shoulder into mush so I'm going to increase the loads next time and shoot less until I find a load I like. Second, running 20 rounds through a 30-30 is fun as hell. Third, Iím going to increase the amount of crimp on my 30-30 rounds while also increasing the powder charge a little bit and fourth, I need a chronograph.

All in all, I enjoyed the heck out of today's shooting and I'm hooked on this big time.

Yeah....the 30-30 is fun as hell to shoot! I used to load up the speer 170 grain flat tips. With open sights.....my best 100 yd. groups were about 1.3 inches. Never gettin rid of that lil 30-30! Maybe you might consider 125 grain handloads for the 300 win mag with starting load charges. They are pretty fun too shoot. I loaded up some for my father's 30-06......he doesnt handle recoil well.......past neck injury.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Yeah....the 30-30 is fun as hell to shoot! I used to load up the speer 170 grain flat tips. With open sights.....my best 100 yd. groups were about 1.3 inches. Never gettin rid of that lil 30-30! Maybe you might consider 125 grain handloads for the 300 win mag with starting load charges. They are pretty fun too shoot. I loaded up some for my father's 30-06......he doesnt handle recoil well.......past neck injury.
    Yep, I'll be doing that soon. I figure a big part of handloading is experimenting with different combinations to find something you like. I foresee LOTS of shooting in my future.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Bookseller:
    Mauserboy is a smart boy. If you put too much stuff betwixt you and the gun, it adds length which CAN be a problem. I recommend a Past recoil shield too. Another option is one of those soft slip-on recoil pads from Cabelas. The main thing is, sit up straight and don't lean into the gun. You might need a shorter seat or a higher rest. ????

I made a squirrel gun outta my 7mm Mag. NOW THAT YOU'RE A HANDLOADER, you can do the same thing with your 300. Gitcher self some Cast bullets and develop a load. It's harder with cast, usually, but it's easy shootin and cheaper.

Lord willing, I'll be shootin some 338 cast bullets tomorrow. And some 30-30s.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Recommend:
    -mag recoil pad
    -double ear protection
    -chronograph - only way to gain more info about your reloads is to pressure test them, I shoot everything thru a chrono and most esp.'ly when working up loads.
    -make sure you have a bullet puller as well as stuck case remover set
    -do lots of shooting, a little bit often is better than a lot rarely
    -try not to make mistakes and learn from those that you do make
    -realize that the "experts" are not always right and that there is always something new to learn

Good luck!

Congrats on a successful first run! I also went with a factory collet-type crimp die for my .300 win mag. And yes, get a chronograph! I bought the cheapest one they had at sportsman's, and the first shot from my .300 blew the sticker off the front with the muzzle blast (165 gr. Speer soft point at 3200 FPS) but it still works. I have chronied everything from my son's slingshot to air guns and of course my pistols and rifles since I got it.

Get a Chrony and you can know things like a new army 1858 .44 cal black powder revolver will throw a 135gr. round ball at 1200 FPS with 30 grains of fff triple seven.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    ...Get a Chrony and you can know things like a new army 1858 .44 cal black powder revolver will throw a 135gr. round ball at 1200 FPS with 30 grains of fff triple seven.
    Cool, I always wanted to know that.

Seriously though, I'm going to get a chrony but first, I'll be investing in an AR-15 and all the stuff I need to reload for it, THEN I'll get the chrony. Hey, it's my birthday next month, maybe I should start dropping some hints to the wife and family.

Next Monday it's range time. I'll give you some 223 brass. Remind me, I'm forgetful.

Cool, I always wanted to know that.

Seriously though, I'm going to get a chrony but first, I'll be investing in an AR-15 and all the stuff I need to reload for it, THEN I'll get the chrony. Hey, it's my birthday next month, maybe I should start dropping some hints to the wife and family.
    If your wife gets all that for your birthday, would you mind telling her when my birthday is?

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Next Monday it's range time. I'll give you some 223 brass. Remind me, I'm forgetful.
    Sorry about backing out at the last minute last week. Something was telling me not to go and 1 hour after we talked my employee called to remind me I was supposed to be there so she could catch her flight. And, since she was going back east for a shooting competition, I was happy to go in and work in her place.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    If your wife gets all that for your birthday, would you mind telling her when my birthday is?
    LMAO! Ya know, I would but...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast