Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what about shooting on your own land

Default what about shooting on your own land

let say you live out in the county where does the state and local police depts lines cross over into the rights of land owner that is shooting on his own land..
    in reading about the post on the shooting on public land there it got me to wondering about shooting on my own land out in the county with heavy duty backstop for the rifle and pistol rounds.
    the range i thinking about is right behind the house with a 25 yard line max range with a big mound of dirt to stop the bullets ..
    where does my rights begin and the law enforcement of the local and states begin in that area does it begin at the land end where it meets the road or my rights begin where the turn off on my road leading into the house area and a little pit typle backstop behind the house for target shooting....
    so i do want to have a problem with someone comeing onto my land and telling me that i can not target pratice on my land..
    i do live out in the boonies part of the area that i am in ..
    so anyhelp here would great..

If there are no Borough (yes lower 48 folks, we do not have counties here in Alaska) restrictions, nor any municipal restrictions then you simply come under State statue.

The only thing anyone could possibly complain about via State Statue would be if somebody else down range complained about bullets wizzing past them, or possibly a noise complaint during night hours.

Generally speaking the State Troopers are not driving around listening for gun shots coming from your property. 99.9% of the time they only show up in response to a complaint.

With the influx of non-Alaskans moving up here, there are more and more people who call dispatch at every noise they hear. Plus, you would be amazed at just where some of these people have built houses.

I am trying to figure out how to bury a culvert (or maybe a plywood box 100 ft long) from one pit to another due to being annexed....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default Back yard range

We have a 25-50 & 100 yard range off the covered back deck. I was asked once about what the neighors say about my shooting, and my reply was 'the neighbor to the right has a 100 yard range for his girls to shoot on. The neighbor to the left has a 25-50 yard shooting area. The neighbor next to him has a 25-50 yard range and the one next to him has a 100 yard range. We have a mountain as a back stop and not on lives back there. We do limit when we shoot, not starting before 1200 and not shooting after 2100 hrs.
    So far no one has had any issues. Jusr make sure what you are shooting. We do not do any 'rattle-battle' type shooting though.
    WE are spoiled being able to shoot off the back deck.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    We have a 25-50 & 100 yard range off the covered back deck. I was asked once about what the neighors say about my shooting, and my reply was 'the neighbor to the right has a 100 yard range for his girls to shoot on. The neighbor to the left has a 25-50 yard shooting area. The neighbor next to him has a 25-50 yard range and the one next to him has a 100 yard range. We have a mountain as a back stop and not on lives back there. We do limit when we shoot, not starting before 1200 and not shooting after 2100 hrs.
    So far no one has had any issues. Jusr make sure what you are shooting. We do not do any 'rattle-battle' type shooting though.
    WE are spoiled being able to shoot off the back deck.
    Same here everyone has a range. Mine is 175 yards. the rule here is 8:AM to 8:PM is O.K.

All but two of the bears I have taken were on my own five acres of land and nobody complained about the loss. Of course I have heard things have changed in that area now

I sure appreciate the folks here that actually have a backstop! We lived down KGB and apparently someone decided to do some shooting from their property. I can only assume they thought they were shooting in a safe direction but that they ended up using my bedroom wall as a backstop! I wasn't there at the time but saw the bullet holes later. We were actually in the process of moving so all I did was let the landlord know. I think there are a quite a few people that seem to think they live in the "boonies" and don't even realize that there is another neighborhood 3-400 yards away.

Default I've thought of the same thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    If there are no Borough (yes lower 48 folks, we do not have counties here in Alaska) restrictions, nor any municipal restrictions then you simply come under State statue.

The only thing anyone could possibly complain about via State Statue would be if somebody else down range complained about bullets wizzing past them, or possibly a noise complaint during night hours.

Generally speaking the State Troopers are not driving around listening for gun shots coming from your property. 99.9% of the time they only show up in response to a complaint.

With the influx of non-Alaskans moving up here, there are more and more people who call dispatch at every noise they hear. Plus, you would be amazed at just where some of these people have built houses.

I am trying to figure out how to bury a culvert (or maybe a plywood box 100 ft long) from one pit to another due to being annexed....
    Some of the same folks are moving in around here in droves. They sell out 'over there', bring their cash, politics and attorneys with 'em, and move into some of the darnedest places imaginable. One of our customers who lives on the property he grew up on, and shot on from the time he was a child, had new neighbors from 'out of state' move in.....three quarters of a mile away. He took his new rifle out the other night, shot it into the backstop his dad built years ago, and within minutes, had a Deputy tapping him on the shoulder. Apparently, the neighbors' old home had experienced some gunfire before, only the drive by sort, and were spooked beyond belief that we shoot for fun around here.
    The Deputy shook his head, went over and explained to the neighbors what their options were, but he saw no problem.....

A covered range is a cool idea, if you have the place to put one. Best would be if you had access to some concrete pipe big enough to walk through, and enough land to berm it up and cover it. Put in some noise abatement near the muzzle, a way to evacuate the 'exhaust' from shooting, target lighting, and a cable/roller setup to place and retrieve targets.....It'd be a cool setup, and our next place is gonna have one!!! It don't have to be as big as I mentioned, two or three feet in diameter, or even a wood-reinforced trench with enough cover to keep stray shots from exiting would suffice. A budget setup could even be made where you had to go and set targets through a slot or opening in the impact end of it.....just some "idle thoughts from an idle fellow".....

I just took the D-8 dirt adjuster and built a small mountain on one end.....and built a 8" wide X 10' long Shooting Barn on the other end. Put markers for distance to 175 Yards, and use old sawhorses for target stands. I also hang those 3 Gal.-5 Gal. old/rusty used up Propane bottles, for cheap "Bells" to ring, while sitting in the outhouse.... (with .22LR)

i allways heard that the dc-8 was the alaska garden tractor is that true..
    well thanks for the info on that one..
    that was my problem in texas we had people comeing in and bringing there so cal back east lifestyle and wanted to keep the things back east way instead of doing like the local people where doing..

Quote Originally Posted by henry2 View Post
    i allways heard that the dc-8 was the alaska garden tractor is that true....
    Not sure it has a 13' Blade, and weighs 23 TONS, (46,000 Pounds). She lays a mean potato trench........

Default Wow, and you guys live in Alaska?

I can't believe I am reading about people having problems shooting on their own land in Alaska. I thought you guys were living with 10 miles between houses or something.

You should some down to WV. Everybody and their brother shoots on their own land here. Heck with all the hills you don't have to look far for a huge God made 100yd backstop either. Topography usually prevents much longer than a couple hundred though.

Plus, nobody from anywhere seems to want to move here so no problems with city folk telling you how they like it either.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

my range started out at 25 yards... it has grown ( been mowed) to 175 now... a little over 300 acers of black spruce so thick you cant walk through it. and 4 miles to the mountian behind me... and know one out there..

shoot hours? if we can see we will...

even my place near town... we have 10 acers there. the old grumpy neighbor is up at 4 am with his 223 so i will get up with my 300 or my 338 from time to time and loose a squirrle out of a tree. we try to be polite.. but then if i want to shoot in my bath robe over coffee... i will...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince you better watch out, talk like that could net you a new neighbor or 6. Actually I have been looking for something a bit further out there but just for summers. As long as I have this job I can work from wherever there is an internet connection so I could just go for the whole summer! Man it sure would be nice to be able to kick back and shoot off the deck between support calls!

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    my range started out at 25 yards... it has grown ( been mowed) to 175 now... a little over 300 acers of black spruce so thick you cant walk through it. and 4 miles to the mountian behind me... and know one out there..

shoot hours? if we can see we will...

even my place near town... we have 10 acers there. the old grumpy neighbor is up at 4 am with his 223 so i will get up with my 300 or my 338 from time to time and loose a squirrle out of a tree. we try to be polite.. but then if i want to shoot in my bath robe over coffee... i will...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Vince you better watch out, talk like that could net you a new neighbor or 6. Actually I have been looking for something a bit further out there but just for summers. As long as I have this job I can work from wherever there is an internet connection so I could just go for the whole summer! Man it sure would be nice to be able to kick back and shoot off the deck between support calls!

i have a sure fire cure for neighbors....

i loose the bath robe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

You should some down to WV. Everybody and their brother shoots on their own land here. Heck with all the hills you don't have to look far for a huge God made 100yd backstop either. Topography usually prevents much longer than a couple hundred though.
    I grew up down there. I'm Appalachian-American.

Hearing gunshots throughout the day from up the road, down the road, and across the way were common. No one thought anything of it.

However, up here in Alaska everyone tends to live in little population clusters. Even in the rural villages everyone wants to live on top of one another (I don't understand why, but they do ) and there is so much land that goes to waste because everyone wants to see their neighbors.

I actually plan on being on of Vince's distant neighbors one of these days when I retire or get close to it because it's one of the few areas where you can put distance between properties without having to own a boat or plane.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    Some of the same folks are moving in around here in droves. They sell out 'over there', bring their cash, politics and attorneys with 'em, and move into some of the darnedest places imaginable.
    Can someone tell me how to spell "Californication"?

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i have a sure fire cure for neighbors....

i loose the bath robe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Is that why COtoAK is doing all the hollering and ran off the road?

can't believe I am reading about people having problems shooting on their own land in Alaska. I thought you guys were living with 10 miles between houses or something.
    A few things add to this problem.

1. The Federals still control huge tracks of land in violation of our original Statehood agreement. And as you know the Blue-bellies never like to give up land unless they ruin it first.
    As a result, private property only exists in pockets.

2. Many of the older fishing towns along the coast were built within walking distance of the pier and dock facilities. So the houses in those types of towns are very close togther and set up in the old european style.

3. Many native villages are set up in almost the same fashion. Probably for mutual defense. So even in a bush village of 200 people, they have to drive out to the dump or something like that to go shooting.

State Parks, National Parks, State and Federal sanctuaries and other such places have all sorts of weird regulations about target shooting.
    For instance you can hunt in Kachemak Bay State Park, but you cannot target shoot.

For example I used to have a little trapping cabin back in the early 70s. But while I was off overseas, that knuckle-head Jimmy Carter made the place some sort of Federal Park... So my litte 8x8 emergency cabin was cut up into pieces by some feds. When I questioned one of them he said, "You people have been running around up here doing whatever you wanted for years. It is time somebody stopped you."
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    For example I used to have a little trapping cabin back in the early 70s. But while I was off overseas, that knuckle-head Jimmy Carter made the place some sort of Federal Park... So my litte 8x8 emergency cabin was cut up into pieces by some feds. When I questioned one of them he said, "You people have been running around up here doing whatever you wanted for years. It is time somebody stopped you."
    I know it's like that, but just hearing about it, is really discouraging.

These people actually think that it's some terrible thing if someone has the freedom to do what he pleases.

They're so concerned about the environment. I'd like to giv'em some. Drop them off in the middle of the swampy woods someplace wearing their sandals and shorts, for a taste of reality. If they make it back alive, they might find something else to spend their time on.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Let off Five with the Mosin Nagant from the steps at 12 AM, Independance day
    Let off 13 more from my Belgin Hi-Power and let the neighbor burn the next clip through it, while I emptied his 20 rd'r Mini-14...

Not nearly as good as New Years night, with 6 .223 AK's and Minis blazing clips in unison, ASAP, but still fun.

Cant wait to go to our Village's events this afternoon downtown by he beach,(one thirty am now), and give my Mosin a good work out with my 5 shots at the prize.......tonight was just "Fouling shots"....~~LOL!!~~

Other than these two days a year, shooting intown is a big NO-NO...LOL!!

Shoot where ever you can, because you can....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast