Thread: buying a gun

Default buying a gun

I was just wondering something. I tried to purchase a snake charmer 2 at walmart for my dad on his birthday. The guy appeared to just not want to sell me a gun period. He wanted proof of my physical address, i can understand that, if that is the law. I only have a P.O. box on my drivers license. And I am younger that might have had something to do with it. He asked for a fishing license that had my physical address, well i told him i had one from a year ago and one from a week ago. And he wouldn't accept either. he would only accept one thats at least 3 months old and or wanted federal I.D. that says my physical, . I told my dad this and he said he never had to do that. They gave him the form, he filled it out, done. but with me he hassled me, thats my thinking anyway. The last gun we bought was 2 years ago, so has things changed or was the guy just being an *****hole. So I am getting more curious if the guy is trying ti implement his own rules, policy form Walmart, new gun laws, etc.

FFL's are required by ATF to verify a physical address when they sell a firearm. Auto registration works as an example. Not just Walmart, but all the gun dealers have to comply, and they do. Ask GNG, guntraders etc....

He might have been unwilling to sell if you mentioned giving the gun to your dad. It is Illegal to buy a gun from an FFL with the intent of selling it to another, this is call shill buying and is one of the things the AFT will run stings for. I am not sure if it is legal to buy for the purpose of a gift. The guy at the counter might not have known either and wanted to risk it. I have only needed a Alaska Drivers License to buy guns. If your License was out of state that may also have caused him to think you where not a resident and want a second document to show residency. What he should have done was give you the form to fill out, which he could then fax to the FBI for the background check, that way any errors on the form are on you not him.

alright i get you. my intent was a gift not shill buying or anything. people do give guns as gifts and stuff ya know. so it was partially me and the guy, thank you.

Buying from Walmart is the problem. I'm amased at what folks do to their country to save twenty bucks

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Buying from Walmart is the problem. I'm amased at what folks do to their country to save twenty bucks
    I 2nd that!!

Gifting is completely legal by the way, so long as the receiver is allowed to have guns.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Gifts are allowed. Shotguns do not require residency, although some stores, maybe Walmart, will not sell to out of state residents. Big 5 is one. You are required provide proof of physical address. ADL often have a physical address. If you have a PO Box on the DL, rules require documentation of a physical address.

Yes Wal mart is irritating with the way they do 4473.
    Another reason to use your local gun shop. If we want those gun shops around, we need to shop there.

Somebody has to support the poor hard working folks in China.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

They were the only one that sold the snake charmer, and my dad is legal to have guns to. I am in fact a state resident, right on my license it says Alaska. My dad even told me he has never gone through that and has bought guns from Walmart to. Its not the workers job to confirm if i live at this street or not, thats why there is FBI background checks. If i lie on the form its on me, not him. But i told him what happened and he doesn't want me to spend money in this economy so. thanks for the info anyway. haha

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I 3rd that.

If he wouldn't sell you a gun, he should have told you why, as in a clear explanation. You shouldn't have had to leave the store without knowing. I think he was playing the roll, myself.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

your local gun shop would order you a snake charmer

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by kenaiking19 View Post
    I was just wondering something. I tried to purchase a snake charmer 2 at walmart for my dad on his birthday. The guy appeared to just not want to sell me a gun period. He wanted proof of my physical address, i can understand that, if that is the law. I only have a P.O. box on my drivers license. And I am younger that might have had something to do with it. He asked for a fishing license that had my physical address, well i told him i had one from a year ago and one from a week ago. And he wouldn't accept either. he would only accept one thats at least 3 months old and or wanted federal I.D. that says my physical, . I told my dad this and he said he never had to do that. They gave him the form, he filled it out, done. but with me he hassled me, thats my thinking anyway. The last gun we bought was 2 years ago, so has things changed or was the guy just being an *****hole. So I am getting more curious if the guy is trying ti implement his own rules, policy form Walmart, new gun laws, etc.
    nope... that is walmart policy... wife tried to buy a 22 there last year. same deal.

i have her only buy at frontier now. Gerry knows us. fills out the form. and done deal. personally.......

I only buy from private sellers you would be surprised what they remember about you and that form....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here