Thread: Whitier Reds

Default Whitier Reds

Any hints or suggestions on fishing for reds out of Whittier. Snagging....or what and how? I have a 25 foot Bayliner and Zodiac with motor. I have heard Coghill Lake or Main Bay are the best, but have heard some horror stories about Coghill Lake ...the hike to it...bugs...mud ...etc. How about Esther Island area? Have boat will travel!!!!! Thanks lots!

Good question? I wish I knew of some good red fishing out of there. My quess is if there is any, everyone is tight lipped about it. Easy drive with 1/2 the distance to the Kenai. If you hear of anything let me know..

Yep, Coghill.

Eshamy Bay/River.

Watch the regulations on that one, though. It's pretty closely monitored since the oil spill and they often change them mid-season depending on how it's going.

Default reds

are also found in Long Bay, Culross Pass all the way to the head of the bay. Nice photo area too!

Main Bay is still very slow.

Didnt see a single red (or anything else) in Coghill, did the full loop around esther and the only place I saw anything was at the south end just at the edge of the hatchery area.

There they were jumping all around, but wouldnt bite on a dang thing, big ones too....

Pretty sure they were reds, chums would have bitten on at least one of the spoons, spinners, plugs and bait we threw in the water.

Default snag some

I wish you had snagged a couple because I don`t think they do reds at that hatchery! I`ll check tomorrow as my nurse`s husband works there at the hatchery. More info to follow!

Quote Originally Posted by dipnet View Post
    I wish you had snagged a couple because I don`t think they do reds at that hatchery! I`ll check tomorrow as my nurse`s husband works there at the hatchery. More info to follow!
    I agree. If they were reds, you would have been casting into the bow pickers nets. It has been many years since they have sockeye have returned to the hatchery there. Sometimes you just have to force feed those chums!
    Last edited by spoiled one; 06-28-2009 at 22:12. Reason: forgot something...again.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Main bay Riases Reds... Ester chums, coho, and pinks...

Quote Originally Posted by dipnet View Post
    Ester use to raise chinook, but those days are long gone, now they only do chums, coho, and pinks... The two sockeye PWSAC hatcheries are Gulkana Hatchery at paxson and main bay... Three or four years ago they lost a main water line from the lake at Main Bay and they lost a whole bunch of fish... This may be why returns are so low.