Thread: How's the shrimping going?

Default How's the shrimping going?

Any "take" as to where are the better shrimping spots are this year? Thanks, we'll be up there in July. And I can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by ARTSBEST View Post
    Any "take" as to where are the better shrimping spots are this year? Thanks, we'll be up there in July. And I can't wait.
    I'll bite and narrow it down for ya,
    western PWS

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Not a bad year......pretty deep seems to do better....over 400 feet. It can be spotty but never disappointing! Have fun when you get here!

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I'll bite and narrow it down for ya,
    western PWS
    What Steve said. I like steep drops with a lot of structure around 450'. Here is a typical pull for me:

Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Such an ornery bunch!

Quit jerkin the guys chain, even thou we know he must be a "forigner" cause he's coming "up here" from somewhere but that's no reason to tawnt him.

Pretty much all the guys who already replied, shrimp right at the end of the discharge pipe on the east side of Whittier. Look for the Johnson pump head on the sea wall and back out to around 450 feet. That discharge is from the fish processor right down the street! Plenty to draw them in and I even seen a 150 lb halibut caught there once!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    What Steve said. I like steep drops with a lot of structure around 450'. Here is a typical pull for me:

I think I am pretty good with the shrimp, but Pete really has it down. How does he get them to sit still for the picture? I tried this last time out and half of them jumped back in.

All kidding aside, I am courious about why they are dead and whole. I usually take the tails right away with them live. I know with crabs you want to keep them live until you take the meat. Does it matter with shrimp?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    I think I am pretty good with the shrimp, but Pete really has it down. How does he get them to sit still for the picture? I tried this last time out and half of them jumped back in.

All kidding aside, I am courious about why they are dead and whole. I usually take the tails right away with them live. I know with crabs you want to keep them live until you take the meat. Does it matter with shrimp?

Jim
    I let them purge themselves in a bucket of seawater. I dump and refill the tub a couple of times, then pull the tails, bag them, and put them on ice. Most of these guys were actually alive. This particular area seems to have better behaved shrimp. The ones that jump off, go straight into the boiling pot of seawater. The other ones learn pretty quick to stay on the table. That is until they start seeing their buddies lose their heads!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Talking Shrimp Obedience

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I let them purge themselves in a bucket of seawater. I dump and refill the tub a couple of times, then pull the tails, bag them, and put them on ice. Most of these guys were actually alive. This particular area seems to have better behaved shrimp. The ones that jump off, go straight into the boiling pot of seawater. The other ones learn pretty quick to stay on the table. That is until they start seeing their buddies lose their heads!
    Pete,

Your ability to keep your herd of shrimp in the corral shows you have mastered the job of shrimp husbandry. Pehaps shrimp whisperer is soon to be one of you acheivements. Congratulations.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Quote Originally Posted by Doug from Anchorage View Post
    Pete,

Your ability to keep your herd of shrimp in the corral shows you have mastered the job of shrimp husbandry. Pehaps shrimp whisperer is soon to be one of you acheivements. Congratulations.
    He is definately achieved the rank of Shrimp Wrangler!!!

Don't make it out as much as I would like anymore!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!