Thread: rebarreling a 700

Default rebarreling a 700

I have a Rem. m700 that has a bent 7mm barrel. What would I have to do to replace it with a .338 barrel? All of the case dimensions are the same except length and neck size.

Quote Originally Posted by Docins View Post
    I have a Rem. m700 that has a bent 7mm barrel. What would I have to do to replace it with a .338 barrel? All of the case dimensions are the same except length and neck size.
    Basically replace it with a barrel turned to the same outside dimensions, unless you want to do a little stock work. Lots of smiths can do this. If Remington was willing, a factory replacement 338 barrel could be screwed in. It's an easy job.

I'm a lefty, and for most of my life the 700 was my pick for lefty rifles. Infortunately, for many of those years the lefty was available only in 30-06 and 270, and eventually in 7mm and 300 mags. Over the years I've had lots rebarreled to more interesting calibers.

You may need shims or different recoil lugs with vering thickness to get the had space in specifacation.

I had a 700 rebarrel, squared the action/barrel/bolt, inletted the stock for a lager taper and glassed the action. All done at Shilen barrel company. Look them up on the web. They did a Super Job.

Now blued or stainless Steel?

You barrel will need to be properly headspaced. That is done by, if necessary, setting the barrel back and rechambering, even when you are using a take off 338 Remington barrel (which I looked to see if we had, but dont)

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I agree with the idea.

A 338 should feed OK, from a magazine made for a 7mm RM, and the bolt face is the same.

Go for it.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.