Thread: Long Lake by Kepler/Bradley

Default Long Lake by Kepler/Bradley

Anyone ever give this lake a shot? I was hitting the local lakes last night and when leaving I saw a trooper, so I asked him if there were any hot spots for kids, was talking to him about long lake and he said that it was their big fine lake, starting at $500.00. He was telling me it was a trophy lake and that is why it is catch/release/single hook. Curious as to if it is a good lake to fish.

And that trooper was looking for people doing bad things He seemed to be in a hurry to get out in the woods with his binos...

stimpy

I fished it many years before it was designated a c&r only fishery and bait could be used as well as Wishbone Lake at the top of the Buffalo Mine trail system. Both had nice sized rainbows in them even then, and plenty of them. I would imagine there are some real lunkers in them both now.

It's a great lake and it's because it's catch and release only. The other lakes in that area have people fishing with worms and treble hooks, yankin them out of the water and keeping them. It helps (a lot) to have a canoe, float tube, cataraft, or some other way to access more of the lake than the trail head.

Thumbs up Long Lake fishing

it is best from a belly boat or kayak. The fishing is a lot of fun. It is sad you can't keep any of the fish but that is why they are so big i guess. I caught quite a few in the 14-18 inch range with a few bigger fish. Good luck! This is one of my favorite early season fishing holes.

I know this is an old thread but Long Lake (willow) still a catch and release only fishery? Couldnt find the regs on it. Thanks

yep and the fishing is good there! some nice ones in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tino17 View Post
    I know this is an old thread but Long Lake (willow) still a catch and release only fishery? Couldnt find the regs on it. Thanks
    Page 28 of the Southcentral regs says (under Willow Creek drainage lakes): "In Shirley, Long and Rainbow lakes, the daily bag and possession limit for rainbow/steelhead trout is 2 per day / 2 in possession - only 1 (one) may be over 20" in length." So, if this is the Long Lake you're asking about, it looks like you may keep 2 trout per day. (It's catch and release for grayling, though.)

Man, these regs are confusing at times.... no wonder the troopers have a field day issuing fines... glad I saw this thread, though, because I was planning to fish this Long Lake this coming week!

[Edit: Shouldn't this thread be in the freshwater forum?]
    Last edited by Bibico; 06-27-2012 at 21:15. Reason: Noticed this is the wrong forum...