Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's the best fish finding Captain in Seward?

Default Who's the best fish finding Captain in Seward?

Who's the best fish finding Captain in Seward? What boat does he have? Who books his trips?
    If you could get a trip on any of the charter boats out of Seward which would it be?

stimpy

Bennie, ProFishAndSea.

The next trip i go on will be out of whittier again with Captin Jack and knot roughin it charters. Stand up guy, had a great time on his boat and caught alot of fish. If you ever go fishing out of whittier, you will never go to Seward again.

Quote Originally Posted by B-radford View Post
    The next trip i go on will be out of whittier again with Captin Jack and knot roughin it charters. Stand up guy, had a great time on his boat and caught alot of fish. If you ever go fishing out of whittier, you will never go to Seward again.

That does look good. Thanks for the info...

Cracker Jack or Pro-Fish-n-Sea take your pick.

took 2 this year out of seward, went with Cracker Jack and Aroura. I limited out on both, the only big difference was Aroura had 15 people on the boat, the captain knew where the fish were and everyone got there limit, but there were none over 40lbs. I mainly took that one as a fun trip for the wife and I. Cracker Jack had 3 people on the boat and they were worried about quality and not numbers. I caught 2 40lbs. and we had a 100+ come on the boat. We also went in mid May, which made it even more impresive. I would for sure go with Cracker Jack. Good luck

Last charter we took out of Seward was with Saltwater Safari's and Capt Steve. Ran to Montague and four of us put 6 fish in the boat over 100 pounds with one being 167. Sister in law hooked up with a 55 pound ling cod as well.
    Granted it was an amazing day but if I were boatless I would join Steve and the crew again.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
    Bennie, ProFishAndSea.

Agreed, except Ben doesn't captain for them anymore (or anyone - he got a 'real' job I hear). However, still agreed that Profish-n-Sea or Crackerjack are the way to go for consistently producing high-grade fish.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Ok, I know I just plugged Puffin charters in the 'heading to alaska' thread, but I have to do it again.
    Andy Martin has a sixth sense for finding big hungry fish. Last year when the silvers were running slow in res bay, he managed to find them in good numbers at Day Harbor and off callisto. Last year we went out and got 3 100# halibut and just a couple weeks ago we got a 154, 94, and a couple of 60's along with the rest of our limit. Thats just 2 days that come to mind when I was on the boat.
    He also wrote an article called "10 Tips to More Halibut" that was published in the June 2008 issue of Fish Alaska magazine.
    Captain Eric of Puffin charters is no slouch either. He brought a guy to a 290# halibut last week that could have been the $10,000 fish if the guy had bought his derby ticket.
    In addition to good captains, they have super classy boats and quality Halibut and Salmon setups.

Default Saltwater Safari's and Capt Steve

Had the worst trip with Puffin, got yelled at, whined at and no extra effort like Saltwater put into it.

Pro Fish N Sea with Steve or any of his captains Jeff and Woody.

Crackerjack with Andy or Nick.

Hands down those two companies for me. I won't book with anyone else after being burnt too many times.

Steve with Saltwater is good but run a poll on Saltwater on here and watch the thread get yanked. I have had good trips and bad trips with them.

The good ones will be exposed more and more shortly as boats just aren't booking up this year.

Pro Fish and Crackerjack still are. That tells you something.

If those two were booked I would consider Reel Time Charters as I have heard good about them.

I would not base a seward trip on one experience of someone landing the big one on one trip. Too many factors like weather, fish not in heavy etc.

You want boats and captains that produce consistantly not just dumb luck.

I will say this though I have not had a bad trip with Pro Fish or Crackerjack nor have my friends in the past 3 years with about 15 trips in that mix.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskapiranha View Post
    Had the worst trip with Puffin, got yelled at, whined at and no extra effort like Saltwater put into it.

I've seen people get yelled at. Its usually because they werent listening...setting the hook on a halibut or resting their salmon rod on the rail of the boat, etc...
    Alot of people think they know what they're doing out there and refuse to listen to the instructions made by the captain or deckhand. But the goal for everyone on board is to catch big fish and from the many times I've been out with Puffin and the many stories I've heard I've seen great consistency.
    I live in seward, work around the harbor, and see what comes in off their boats and the other boats mentioned. The truth is they all are good outfits that you probably couldn't go wrong with on any given day. However, I only have my experience to speak off and that experience spans many years and countless stories. I cant speak with direct experience of these other outfits, only stories. It sucks that you had a bad day with them and I wouldn't like to be yelled at myself.

I have been yelled by the best the USMC has to offer and if a charter captain yelled at me with out a good reason we may come in one person short . When i am paying good money for a trip i expect to be treated with respect, just like i would treat the capt and crew.

Another big thumbs up for Crackerjack or Profish-n-sea. Andy Meizrows name (Crackerjack) speaks for itself, he's been on the cutting edge in Seward for many years. And I've fished with Steve Zernia when he was still with Andy years ago, and his operation is also very well reviewed and he's a good guy to fish with.

Another atta-boy for Steve with ProFish-N-Sea. Normally go out of Valdez for halibut, but this year did the Seward run. Went with Steve, based on the good reports posted here. He didn't disappoint. Very clean operation from start to finish.

Default Crackerjack

I went out on the Crackerjack Voyager with Capt Andy Mezirow on Sunday and was very impressed with the quality of his operation. Saturday night I went down to the dock and watched them undoad a boat load of great fish several fish in the 80-120 lb class. I went back to my room with vissions of decks awash with big fish and my freezer filled to the top with fresh halibut!

Sunday when we arrived onboard I found his boat to be spotlessly clean, the equipment was in outstanding condition, and he and his crew were professional, polite and fun. Crackerjack Voyager is a fast, comfortable vessel designed from the keel up to be a fish killing machine, it was obvious to me that a great deal of thought went into her design.

As a licensed master I am very concerned with safety of passengers and prudent operation of the vessel and would sail with Andy anytime as his desire to slaughter fish is evenly tempered by his professionalism and concern for the safety of his customers and vessel.

We worked off shore hog hunting and got a strong early chicken/rooster bite, no hogs were to be had and late in the afternoon we moved to a strong producing chicken patch and filled the boat with 15-25 pounders. We also picked up several nice rockfish, a great king 30 lbs+, and caught and released several big lings. While I did not win the derby or fill my freezer (all the way) it was a great day of fishing!

Tight lines!
    Rich
    I swore an oath to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States. That oath had no expiration date Congress must use a different version that does.

Anyone have any words of wisdom with the Millers Landing group? Had a buddy take them a few years ago and enjoyed it. Boat for 16 but they only take 10 max. Would like hearing thoughts - going to take my pops out when he comes up here in August.

Many thanks!

Millers can hook you up with an all day combo charter on a six pack boat or they do some 1/2 day trips. The 16 pax boat is the water taxi that does 1/2 day trips for rockfish or salmon. Mike Miller grew up there and has fished the area for over 20 yrs. They usually go west, out of Seward, instead of east where a lot of Seward boats go. If the fish are there they will find em

Default I would vote for AKCAPT

Do a search for AKCAPT here, and you will see that he posts a lot of good info, so I would recommend him just for that. I have also heard many good things about him from others. Hopefully I have my facts correct, but I believe that this is Andy from erJack Charters, but you can send him a PM to be sure.

I continue to be amazed at the two groups of charter operators in Seward. Those that will give you the shirt off their back and hope the private guy out, even giving fishing advice, and those that just seem annoyed that we are out there that are not buying services from them.

Jim

Default Linking Assistance. . .

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Do a search for AKCAPT here, and you will see that he posts a lot of good info, so I would recommend him just for that. I have also heard many good things about him from others. Hopefully I have my facts correct, but I believe that this is Andy from erJack Charters, but you can send him a PM to be sure.

I continue to be amazed at the two groups of charter operators in Seward. Those that will give you the shirt off their back and hope the private guy out, even giving fishing advice, and those that just seem annoyed that we are out there that are not buying services from them.

Jim
    AK CAPT PROFILE PAGE LINK

CRACKERJACK CHARTER LINK

No affiliation... just a facilitator!
    Doc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast