I've found major issues while handloading that I've never read about....anywhere. I would never have discovered them if it wasn't for experience. Just to warn future handloaders of potentially dangerous issues.....post them here in this thread. Here's a few of mine:
I once saved all my buddies brass from one of our shootin sessions at the range. He had bought a bunch of winchester target ammo in 223. After cleaning and resizing the cases......I attempted to prime the cases with my lee autoprime (im cheap). No matter how hard I tried.....many of the cases would not accept the primer even with great force! Upon closer inspection.....The primer pockets were actually way off center! I couldn't believe it, you could clearly see where the primer was damaged by being "press fit" into the side of the primer pocket. I threw all of the primed cases and unprimed cases in a bucket of water and threw it all in the trash the following day.
I once attempted to load the 358 barnes 225 grain TSX. I called the company to ask them about their "new" triple shock and their older reloding manual to make sure the date would be safe. I attempted to load thier PUBLISHED starting load. The starting load was so compressed that when you cyled the fully reloaded bullets through the rifle.....the bullets would grow in overall length!! Talk about a waste of money on a bunch of bullets that are too long and eat up too much case capacity for even their PUBLISHED starting loads! Lesson learned.....Barnes x-type bullets don't always work well with short actions.
I once was in a hurry to get a "deer load" for a hunt with my father back east. They didn't have the CCI magnum primers that I usually used so I bought the remington magnum primers instead. When i handloaded these rem primers in my "brand new" winchester brass......It took very little notable effort. The primers were so loose in the primer pocket that they would pop out the head of the case even with a starting load! Upon inspection of the ejected brass case.....you could see where the primer had worked it's way out past the surface of the case head. Lesson learned....stick with my tried and true cci primers that always fit perfect in my winchester .358 brass.