Thread: bulge in barrel

Default bulge in barrel

My Howa 22-250 has a bulge in the end of the barrel (snow induced I'm guessing) one buddy has suggested cutting off the last 2" and recrowning. I'm concerned that cutting it down to only 20" may affect my accuracy. What are your thoughts? I have also considered looking for a barrel someone has replaced/upgraded.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and input.

Had the exact same thing with a S&W(Husqvarna)Model B in .30-06. Bbl was 22"'s and now is 17 3/4"'s. Shoots GREAT and is handy to boot!

Quote Originally Posted by rugger View Post
    My Howa 22-250 has a bulge in the end of the barrel (snow induced I'm guessing) one buddy has suggested cutting off the last 2" and recrowning. I'm concerned that cutting it down to only 20" may affect my accuracy. What are your thoughts? I have also considered looking for a barrel someone has replaced/upgraded.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and input.

What are my thoughts? I'm wondering what you're thinking.!

I'm real sure a bulge in the barrel will effect your accuracy!

I'm real sure the snow in your barrel effects your accuracy!

I'm real sure the bulger of the barrel, the shooter of the rifle, the packer of the snow is one real lucky son-of-a-b........!

This is sort of a DUH!! Ya can't hit a barn from inside with it with a bulge in the barrel. A 22-250 should have a good barrel and 24" is about right. Spring for the new barrel and don't throw it in the snow and mud.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

yeah Murphy, I know I'm lucky, near as I can figure after making a shot I applied a new piece of tape to the muzzle, but it must not have stuck. This rifle is my winter carry gun. I was asking if reducing the length of the rifle's original 22" would have an adverse effect on velocity/accuracy etc.

I have been squirreling away $$ to get a new factory barrel. I will look into a 24 and both a 22"

And DUH I quit shooting this rifle and went to my back-up when I realized it wasn't shooting right, and after examination noticed a very, very slight bulge. Ammo is just too expensive to waste, and meat and pelts can't always be passed up/missed.

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas. If anyone knows of a factory barrel that somebody has upgraded or the best place to find a good deal on a barrel, let me know.

Two inches won't make that much difference in fps and it should still shoot stright as ever and maybe better

In general, there is no correlation between barrel length and accuracy in like-diameter barrels. Assuming a smooth, clean, straight bore...once the bullet is stabilized, the accuracy part is done. A bad crown or bore imperfections can destabilize a bullet, but the overall length of the barrel has no impact. Velocity is another story, as is balance, appearance, legality (less than 16"), etc.

I'd cut the barrel an inch behind the bulge, re-crown and shoot it. If it works, you've got a usable rifle. If it doesn't work, you're out 30 minutes of your time.

Frequently a shorter barrels shot a little more accurately as they are relatively stiffer

I have corrected a few of these before.

Cut it , crown it, shoot it.
    If its up to suff, go forth it as you did before.
    If not, recrown again, and ifthat dont work, lop another 1/2 inch and repeat unill youve either get it right or go for the rebarrel.

Good luck.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Thanks fellas, now what is your preferred method of cutting? The guy I was going to have do it is away from home for a while, so looking for other options. Was thinking about a band saw and vise as those are readily available. other thoughts???

My good frend, a fine machinest and artist, right there in Kotz on front street, could make your cut quickly and cleanly.
    I'll PM ya.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by rugger View Post
    Thanks fellas, now what is your preferred method of cutting? The guy I was going to have do it is away from home for a while, so looking for other options. Was thinking about a band saw and vise as those are readily available. other thoughts???
    I'd be very reluctant to cut a barrel in a vise with a band saw. Sure you can cut it, but accuracy will almost certainly suffer. The cut must be square to the bore and perfectly straight. While this is not impossible with a band saw I will say that it will be extremely difficult. Barrel work should be done after the barrel is removed from the action and placed in a lathe. The cost of removing, cutting, crowning and reinstalling should cost in the neighborhood of $75-$100, and is a bread & butter operation for most gunsmiths.

Having said that, I would spring for a new barrel. You are going to notice significant velocity loss in a 22-250 in a 20 inch barrel. You are going to have increased muzzle flash & noise with the shorter tube and have decreased velocity as well. It sounds like you are on a tight budget, who isn't right now, so I recommend you check with E.R. Shaw. Their barrels are not benchrest quality, but I have used them and know guys that have used them with complete satisfaction and their prices may surprise you. I suspect you can give them a call and get a 24 inch 22-250 barrel installed for a little more than twice what it will cost to get your barrel properly shortened and recrowned. Here's a link:

http://www.ershawbarrels.com/normal.asp#

You can either throw your barrel away and get it rebarreled or cut some off and recrown. If your thinking this barrel is junk then cutting it off isn't going to make it any more junky. YES you can do this yourself. With a hack saw or band saw cut it just behind the bulge. Using a file and a square , file the end as square as you can get it. Remember the barrel is slightly tapered. Now with a round head brass wood screw in an electric drill motor,put some fine grinding compound on the screw head and go to the end of the barrel. Move the drill motor around the axis of the bore rather than trying to hold it in line with the axis. Stop when you get just a little outside of the groove dia. It will probably shoot as good as ever and a 100fps vel drop isn't going to really matter. Yes this does sound a little crude, but it does work ,usually very well. Make sure the head of the wood screw is quite a bit larger than the bore. 3/8" head size should work. I just recrowned an sks and it went from 18" 50yd patterns to about 3" 100yd groups. Yes, the proper way is to rebarrel or remove and lathe recrown or at least buy the recrown tools from Brownells, but with what you have now you have little to lose and everything to gain. Go for it.

Thanks guys, I'll let you know the results after chopping and recrowning.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

You should be able to buy hand tools with pilots to square a barrel, and/or one to crown it too, from Brownells for example.

I had a 338 barrel cut and recrowned recently. I don't remember how much it cost, but it wasn't much, and I'm sure the gunsmith didn't hafta take the barrel off.

A long time ago, I cut a barrel off on an old Mauser with a hacksaw, squared it with a file, and crowned it with some kind of a cutter in the shape of a Ball, ???

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I recrowned my rifle in a similar manor to what rbuck351 suggests. The only difference was after squaring the mussel I used a ball shaped grinder to cut the crown in some before going to the carriage bolt and lapping compound. It came out very good. The groups got a lot better, not match quality by any means but better, 3" to 1.5" with the right loads.

As already mentioned Brownell's sells a piloted reamer to square and finish the mussel, they are about $100.

I cut the barrel with a hacksaw. Then I center it in the lathe, dial the bore in to as close to 0 tir as possible, typicall 0.0002", support the rest of the barrel with spider dialing it in, then face the barrel, then cut the crown.

I've used the brownells piloted 11 deg reamer on several barrels, and I've never been pleased with the accuracy 1.5"+ at 100yds. I also find the cutter chatters very easily even when turned by hand. I've also been very pleased with how the barrels crowned on the lathe shoot, 1" and under at 100 yds.