Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaska With 2,million hunters...and no GAME to Hunt...?

Default Alaska With 2,million hunters...and no GAME to Hunt...?

Do you think about the future of Alaska Hunting...??? At some point there will be MILLIONS of hunters living in Alaska. If Game is tight now (With law suites over game) what happens in 40 years.....? If things get depressed in the Lower 48 thousands will move here, some for work, but some for survival. 40 years ago you could harvest two moose, now you spend thousands (one way or the other) to get one moose, and most get none. I think about when we sighted in our rifles at Tudor and Lake Otis. Now people pay to shoot at a range, or risk getting a ticket. Hard to believe there will be lots more game, or lots fewer people.

Can you define - anachronism?

Like Rabbits and Caribou , people will eat themselfs out of habitat, and pollute the world with our doings.....

"OR"

My son says it best; Were like Yeast, in a bucket of suger, munching the sweet and crapping ourselfs outta a place to exist....

In time, somthings gotta give.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

stimpy

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    If Game is tight now (With law suites over game) what happens in 40 years.....?
    There's plenty of game. It's the access that's tight.

Wasn't there a thread recently that someone pulled up data regarding hunter numbers in Alaska. We are at the same or less than 1976ish???

Search isn't providing info. (operator error most likely)

Quote Originally Posted by junkak View Post
    Wasn't there a thread recently that someone pulled up data regarding hunter numbers in Alaska. We are at the same or less than 1976ish???

+1. It will be decades before Alaska even has 2 million residents, and since only about 2% (I think that's the percent that was quoted in the earlier thread) of the resident population hunts, that would only be about 40,000 hunters even then. I know that's a ton - but 2 million will never happen.

I do take your point about crowding and access tho Hopeak.

Quote Originally Posted by junkak View Post

Could be....if so that would be very interesting, given that there were 1/2 as many humans in Alaska in 1976' even more so that that was Trans Alaska Pipeline Construction period......

Do you think about the future of Alaska Hunting...??? At some point there will be MILLIONS of hunters living in Alaska. If Game is tight now (With law suites over game) what happens in 40 years.....? If things get depressed in the Lower 48 thousands will move here, some for work, but some for survival. 40 years ago you could harvest two moose, now you spend thousands (one way or the other) to get one moose, and most get none. I think about when we sighted in our rifles at Tudor and Lake Otis. Now people pay to shoot at a range, or risk getting a ticket. Hard to believe there will be lots more game, or lots fewer people.
    It will be a lot longer than merely decades before we have "millions" of hunters here. I believe the segment of hunting public in the U.S. as well as AK, is declining faster than the population is increasing. I too remember the old days....we used to go way out of town and hunt moose on Dowling Road. Paying to shoot, what? Foreign for sure. I don't see a tremendous decline in the ability to get game here. I do see a big decline in the easy access to quality fishing more so. Survival, what does this have to do w/ survival? Really like to stir the pot eh Hope?

I only arrived in 89, and must admit the dynamics have changed a great deal since then. Not even sure why as has been pointed out above; Not more hunters, but areas that were cherry are packed with wheelers and RV's? I honestly don't believe the competition has changed since then but there are less animals spotted and more people where I go. Also if I recall you could hunt all the way till mid October then. " might be wrong" but seem to think not. So we hunted longer, during better periods with less restrictions ala 'Any bull' than today. However we seem to observe fewer animals and more Hunters and Troopers today than then?? Hummmmmm? please help me out on this one.

Wink too many people!!

hey everybody, just that ya know alaska no good, too cold and too dark all the time here. we live in igloos! ya up for it people!! i suggest that everyone stay down in the lower 48 where the weather is nice and sunlight is bright...ha..ha.. what do you guys think?

The Alaska free ride then the dividend check for the family of seven that never hit a lick of work have shown their effects in the bigger cities. Remember how happy Hommer was when McDonalds showed up twenty years ago or so. Marts,Wharehoues ect putting mon and pop out of business. Glad I live in a town thats willing to say we are booked,no room or you can't park here for free six months and live untill someone takes you in.

Default There could haved been

about a Million people here or more at one point or another in history...they didn't stay...too cold in the winter, too light in the summer, too many bugs, too much swampland, cost of living is too much & fresh produce is hard to comeby...so I don't think that people will stay long at all, only the ones that can adapt to the above conditions, then it'll be a long time at that...barring any type of natural phenomenon like the 1920's flu that wiped out over half the rural population...

If Alaska has 2 million people the same thing that has happened across the country will happen here-all the wolves and bears will be wiped out. Then there will be plenty of game animals to hunt. New York hunters take about 200,000-250,000 deer each year (fom Fur-Fish-Game) and hunters in Sweden take about 150,000 moose each year. It's just that Alaska won't be Alaska anymore.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Talk about loosing hope in ak.......
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Talk about loosing hope in ak.......

Agreed..
    Hopeak.. fall/winter is here soon.

Your friend,

Summer

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    +1. It will be decades before Alaska even has 2 million residents, and since only about 2% (I think that's the percent that was quoted in the earlier thread) of the resident population hunts, that would only be about 40,000 hunters even then. I know that's a ton - but 2 million will never happen.

I do take your point about crowding and access tho Hopeak.
    Ding, ding, ding!!! We have a winner!!
    The state of Alaska is 50 years old and in those 50 years we have never even come close to the 1 million resident mark, I don't see Alaska having 1 million residents, nevermind 1 million hunters!

Default The facts.

A lot more than 2% of the current resident population hunts! Check out this article: The Myth of Declining Hunters in Alaska
    "Sutherland found that 174,272 Alaska residents went hunting between 2003 and 2007, about 25 percent of the total population. Overall, he found the number of hunters is stable."

This graph may be of interest. It shows Alaska human population since 1950 along with moose harvest numbers (courtesy ADFG):

And since Sweden was mentioned, here's an interesting table on per-capita harvests:

Access isn't any tighter than it ever was. We have more hunters taking roughly the same average of moose, about 7,000 moose per year. And per capita we take about the same amount of moose as Sweden. Not too shabby considering some use Sweden as an example of what Alaska should be doing to grow more moose.

YIKES! Man I was really off on the percentage of resident hunters in AK, thanks Mark for correcting my very POOR estimate, and also for providing valuable (for this discussion) harvest info!

Although, based on the quote, it looks like 175k Alaskans hunted within a five-year period, so not sure how many licenses are purchased annually. Still a lot more than my 2% SWAG tho!

Wink yeah igloos...that's the ticket

whether it's anachronism or parachronism, either way the sky is not falling.
    barbarian is right. spread the word, cold, cold, cold, darker than dark. uninhabitable.

and stranger...what are you doing with the yeast in the sugar bucket

OK Holly, it's not even noon yet in AK, go easy on the 5-syllable words until everyone has a chance to have their coffee!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast