Thread: why no big royalex frieghter canoes??

Default why no big royalex frieghter canoes??

Anyone no why manufactures are not making any large freighters,say 21' or 22'with royalex material.Seems like they would be very durable and light.

The quantity of freighters sold in USA is very minimal and doesn't justify start-up costs. It's only since extreme gasoline prices that we began talking much about larger freight canoes on this site....I think most other states are not seeing the interest that Alaska is currently experiencing simply because we have long water trips.

Mad River at one time made a Kevlar freight type canoe of about 21 feet.

Maybe we should start a canoe building thread. I have had a lot of interest in spending a winter building a canoe.

give this recession and high gas prices a little time to complicate things a bit more......it is then you will see a resurgance of small, efficient craft and more of em.

Default royalex freighters

Old town made their sport canoes up to 17 feet of royalex. They needed an alluminum tube down the center and still oil canned a tad bit.

In order to make a big freighter out of Royalex you would need some serious reinforcements in the way of alluminum tubing, etc. They even need that on the big fiberglass freighters.
    I don't think they can make them rigid enough to work. And there is probably very little demand for them. And they are not that light.

Old town stopped production of their sport canoes and now only make one smaller square stern.

Quote Originally Posted by beebop View Post
    Old town made their sport canoes up to 17 feet of royalex. They needed an alluminum tube down the center and still oil canned a tad bit.

In order to make a big freighter out of Royalex you would need some serious reinforcements in the way of alluminum tubing, etc. They even need that on the big fiberglass freighters.
    I don't think they can make them rigid enough to work. And there is probably very little demand for them. And they are not that light.

Old town stopped production of their sport canoes and now only make one smaller square stern.

All royalex hulls flex. That is why royalex canoes are the preferred material for abrasive whitewater and rocks. The esquiff cargo is a 17 footer made of royalex, it will have some flex. Some of the manufacturers try to sport this flexing of the hull as an advantage. My 17.5 foot discoveries do flex and I was considering bolting a thwart to the center of the hull in conjuction with a form fit support that is epoxied to the inside of the hull directly under the thwart.

Is there a definition of "freighter canoe"? Old Town shows that they still make the 20 foor tripper XL that is made of royalex, it is rated for 1600 pounds. They also have the Predator SS150 that is rated for 1700 pounds. It is made of "Three layer polyethylene" It's only a 15 footer. I have one of those.
    “When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” attributed to Thomas Jefferson