Thread: Any winchester 94 experts in the house?

Default Any winchester 94 experts in the house?

i have a winchester 93 in 30-30 that i am trying to fix. the hammer will not stay back, whether the action is worked, or you try and lock it back by hand. i took it apart, cleaned the insides, and put everything back together. it actually worked correctly for about 10 cycles, then went back to not staying cocked. you can feel the clicks in the hammer, but it is just not staying put. any ideas?

Wore down or broke hammer sear or trigger? What about half cock

When you took it apart and cleaned it did you clean the trigger and hammer? If you did and it still does it then I would guess a weak trigger return spring or worn or broken trigger or hammer. It has been about 15 years since I had one apart, but the trigger and hammer are dirt simple. The hammer has 2 notches, a shallow self for full cock and a deeper one with a catch to the outside for half cock. The full cock notch should be flat and smooth with a sharp edge on the outside. The half cock notch should be deep and be made in such away as the trigger can not leave the notch without the hammer being pulled back some.

The trigger should have a smooth top with a sharp corner on the side that contacts the hammer. Also check the hammer spring if you pull the trigger forward and cock the hammer does it stay cocked, when you release the trigger?

If you pulled it apart and cleaned and inspected and still do not understand what is happening then it may be time to turn it over to a gun smith. These rifles came with rather crappy trigger pulls in the newer ones and this trigger may have been "fixed" by someone yho did not know what they where doing.

If you do pull it apart again maybe post some pictures of the hammer and trigger.