Thread: Fishing Seward

Default Fishing Seward

Hi, In years past I have only fished in Homer, however with the poor(to say the least) king run this year Homer I am looking to fish Seward. This being said, a few questions need to be addressed.
    1. Is a 1998 21 ft hewescraft enough to make the run to Pony Cove on most days?
    2. How is the bottom fishing out of Seward in the same Pony Cove area?
    3. How good is the silver fishing, because I hear it can be non stop?
    Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

1. Yes...go early. Agnes Cove can save your bacon if it gets bad. Watch for 'dead-heads' behind the cove...they can ruin your day quick.

2. Good to excellent...stay out of the narrows during peak silver season.

3. It`s great but traffic can be bad and there`s a couple charters that regularly camp on the coner and screw up the trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    1. Yes...go early. Agnes Cove can save your bacon if it gets bad. Watch for 'dead-heads' behind the cove...they can ruin your day quick.

2. Good to excellent...stay out of the narrows during peak silver season.

3. It`s great but traffic can be bad and there`s a couple charters that regularly camp on the coner and screw up the trolling.

Well about only thing I can add to this is.....

Have Fun.

Watch the weather and don't get in over your head, you should have no problem.

I think on a decent day you can make the run in your hewes. What size motor do you have on it? End of last july I ran out there in my 22' hewes and the only thing you have to worry about are the rollers coming from the GOA.

I watch the weather closely and make the run to Agness or Pony cove in 16.5 ft skiff with 50 hp outboard. Have encountered 7 ft swells coming in where you pass Bear Glacier. No way to avoid that bit of exposure to the open ocean. Once you get to Agness you are protected again.
    Note off shore winds in the am and onshore in the afternoon. If you go out before sunrise it will normally be quite calm, come back after 7pm or so it will be calm again. Roughest will be around 3pm and it can get nasty around the harbor entrance.
    Be sure to have a VHF radio. Be safe. Good fishing
    NRA Lifetime Member

get out there early and come back in early.......before the south wind starts to blow or you wait it out til late after the south wind blows. years past i was on my way in before the charter boats arrived.