Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Montana Creek

Default Montana Creek

Anyone hit Montana Creek yet this year? Any luck? I knew that jacks were in about this time last year.

I fished this past weekend's opener from midnight to 6am. About 2 dozen fish caught. Most under 15# and 3 or 4 over 30#.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

I copied this from my other thread on the rafting board.
    "Our float didn't happen. Why? Liquid sunshine. We decided we would rather be cold and wet somewhere other than the boat. Camped and fished Montana Sun and Mon. Foul hooked a jack and lost another fish of some kind. If your willing to put up with the drunks and combat folks, you could proably get a fish. We weren't willing. I don't like strange people, especially drunk strange people.
    But, if you weren't in the hole, you weren't catching fish. Seen some fish roll out in the silt, but nothing on the end of the sandbar. It was fun to get out though."

Default Montanta

Went there Monday if you were in the hole you caught fish. But people set up tents and
    homesteaded the hole! Also had dogs on chains to keep you away! Pretty sad in in a public use area.

Exactly. At one point there was a chain saw being used. I assuming firewood was being cut. I stayed until about 10:30pm. Got fed up with the weather.

I was 30 yards up stream of the hole. The people who were camping it had been there since at least 7 friday.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Angry That's B.S.....

I know exactly who that group of people is that camp out there, and something needs to be done about them. Can you imagine what the Russian River would be like if people could throw up tents in the sanctuary, and up and down the shoreline, blocking off the only good hole, at the confluence for the entire opening? Throw in a handful of fires, drunk parents, and crying hypothermic children curled up on the side of the river bank, and you have a Montana Creek situation. It's really pathetic, and turns what used to be a nice fishery (not that long ago) into a ghetto. I would personally like to see our troopers clean that place up a little. One Jim Creek in this state is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by frydaddy View Post
    One Jim Creek in this state is enough.

One Jim Creek in this state is TOO MANY!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by frydaddy View Post
    I know exactly who that group of people is that camp out there, and something needs to be done about them. Can you imagine what the Russian River would be like if people could throw up tents in the sanctuary, and up and down the shoreline, blocking off the only good hole, at the confluence for the entire opening? Throw in a handful of fires, drunk parents, and crying hypothermic children curled up on the side of the river bank, and you have a Montana Creek situation. It's really pathetic, and turns what used to be a nice fishery (not that long ago) into a ghetto. I would personally like to see our troopers clean that place up a little. One Jim Creek in this state is enough.

Dice up a lot of salmon and run a trail from the woods to their tent, see how long it takes before lassie becomes supper and the tent is gone... J/K dont take me to heart.

This fuzzy pic was taken Sunday evening around 9pm. You can see the tent and the other green shelter to the left. I think there's another tent toward the center. Its hard to tell, but I'm pretty sure there were two tents. More people showed up Monday.

too bad there arent many bears in that area anymore... but there are few left around sheep creek....

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    One Jim Creek in this state is TOO MANY!!!!!!
    how so? I'd love to hear about your experience with the area...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Default Warning!

For some reason we thought the Montana Creek campground tent site was $25.00 for the weekend. No, that is per day?! After a phone call, I learned the rates are $28.00 per day, per site, and the permit was good until 2 pm next day... However, the envelope you fill out and throw in the box states differently, that of - 25.00 for camp site, and permit is good until 7 pm!

Instead of spending nearly 90.00 bucks for a 3 day trip, could I just use the overflow parking lot and camp out in the woods just to the left of it? Or is that privately owned land?

http://www.montanacreekcampground.com/images/mtcSM.jpg

What do you think? (I have too much camping equipment loaded to spend the better part of the day hiking 1/2 mile out into the woods to get upon what I "feel" is public land!...Nor do I want to pay such high camping fees this weekend like I did last weekend.)

$28 per night ...I think that is the most expensive camping fee I've ever heard of...kinda nutty...
    pull my finger....

tjm,

I might call dibs on one of the gravel bars IN THE CREEK! LOL

There is camp spots all over the state at more than $30 a night, even seen over $40.

If it were just my cousin and I, we'd just pay the $12.00/overnight parking rate and camp in the woods; however, since we have a female tagging along, half the house is coming too! So in this situation, 28.00 night seems more reasonable , especially with access to a private restroom!

There is a free parking spot just outside the Parks Bridge, about 1 1/2 miles south that my cousin and Uncle used back in the 1980s before the campground existed...he pointed it out to me last weekend, as we passed a dozen or so trucks parked there. I guess we could just park there, throw a tent in the woods just outside the truck...and just hike to the mouth...???

Its getting a tad frustrating, having just called three resorts from mm 71.5 up to around the 90 marker and no access to the mouth!

Just called and learned state campgrounds next to bridge is more reasonable @ 20.00/overnight for tent site...

whats so great about montana creek anyways? i remember going there once with my father about 18 years ago or so and there were so many people! we caught one jack and lost a nice 30+ pounder...ive never fished it since or attempted to......anyhow hows rabideux, sunshine, or birch creek doing lately? oh and any camping rate over 18 bucks per nite completely turns me off to the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Crab_n_fish View Post
    tjm,

I might call dibs on one of the gravel bars IN THE CREEK! LOL
    i like the way you think....

summer 2007 on the north shore of the mouth there was a HUGE sandy area exposed...I used to take my 3yo there to play in the sand...it would make a great camping spot...just going to be a pain to pack you entire camp there without a boat...

I agree Hunt, steep camping fees is a turn off...are these areas private campgrounds?...
    pull my finger....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast