Thread: Question about ammo dump

Default Question about ammo dump

I've been watching the auction fiasco and contemplating possible outcomes. The only benefit I can see from this auction based sales idea is to gun shop owners in Alaska. As they see the prices rise on what people are willing to pay, they would have to follow suit.

Is that really what you guys want?

What possible positive could come out of having an auction to guage what people are willing to pay for ammo other than driving the cost higher and further reducing the supply for all of us?

Please enlighten me as the business end can only lead to increased prices and decreased availability. I'm not fond of either alternative.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I agree, if you want to do an auction type deal for the ammo dump then doing one like what's on the 24 Hour Campfire site would be the best way to do it. No waiting 6 months to see if you won the bid or haggling with someone who has no intentions of selling.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    I agree, if you want to do an auction type deal for the ammo dump then doing one like what's on the 24 Hour Campfire site would be the best way to do it. No waiting 6 months to see if you won the bid or haggling with someone who has no intentions of selling.

I can't speak for everyone but I have every intention of selling all the ammo I no longer have firearms for. (edited) I feel the Ammo dump does work if people negotiate. I would have been happy to have sold all that .375H&H ammo for around $35.00 to $39.00 per box. But now I'll take it to the show where people have been happy to pay $55.00 to $75.00 per box. It will all sell in August at the Sullivan. (edited)
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 06-24-2009 at 16:14. Reason: personal comment

(edited)

I recently sold 1 box of 300 gr NP, Federal Vital Shok and 3/4's of a box of 270 gr Remington soft points for the 375 H&H for $75 and I thought that was a pretty good deal considering the Federal alone goes for more than that. Luckily i've got several boxes of 375 H&H and don't need any more but when I do, I know where to look for it.
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 06-24-2009 at 16:15. Reason: personal comment

stimpy

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    I've been watching the auction fiasco and contemplating possible outcomes. The only benefit I can see from this auction based sales idea is to gun shop owners in Alaska. As they see the prices rise on what people are willing to pay, they would have to follow suit.
    That's a good possible point. Small time gun/ammo dealers in this state appear to be as sick as many of their clients.

But have you gone to any other kinds of auctions in this state? People out there get "auction fever" real bad. They'll bid up a cardboard box of pure junk just so "the other guy" doesn't get it. I stopped going to auctions years ago because of that. You can buy new cheaper because such an illness hasn't affected the price of other commodities.

Default The Ammo Dump

I appreciate the questions. We set this up to try to help put people with ammunition together with those without, hopefully at prices that are both reasonable and acceptable to both parties. It is clear that the idea needs some work. I'm open to your suggestions, so please continue offering them.

To keep the forum clean, Icebear is going to prune out posts over 30 days old. I think we also may need to consider limiting posts to ammunition needed or ammunition offered for sale, along with related negotiations. What we don't need are personal comments about posters, motives, etc. If you believe a price is too high, vote with your cash; the poster will get the message and either lower the price or remove the listing. Ultimately the market will dictate the price.

Please let's keep the personal comments out of it.

Thanks for your help!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay