Thread: Willow Kings

Default Willow Kings

I have floated the willow many times this summer already. I have a question. What is the best time of the day to float it and look for kings? I was thinking of doing a very late or early float this week end and was wondering what the experts thought.

Past experience in Washington State has taught me that fish move at night and people donít. I have had success for salmon and steelhead in the wee hours. Does this hold true in Alaska?

Any thoughts/advice would be great. Thanks.

Two years ago we did very well between 12:00 am-3:00 am on the Willow. Kings were very active in this time frame.

Ok I am new on this forum. I have fished the Willow at the highway and at the mouth. Had considered the airboat trip. I have a 15'-three man ponton. I WAS going to fish the Gulkana, but it being closed has forced me to look at other options. I heard the Willow was unsafe to float. I am not travelling 2500 miles to combat fish. But I need some options. I have no aversion to doing a night float or maybe hooking up with others to follow. Wife and I are only two on the boat so there may be room for another that knows the Willow VERY well. Are there other recommendations? Thanks

Just watch out for jet boaters on the Willow. I almost hit two rafters that wouldn't move if you paid them to. There will be a river boats running during the day and evening but shouldn't be any at night.

Quote Originally Posted by eagleriver24 View Post
    Just watch out for jet boaters on the Willow. I almost hit two rafters that wouldn't move if you paid them to.

And here I thought it was the motorized user that has the responsibility to move......

Quote Originally Posted by eagleriver24 View Post
    Just watch out for jet boaters on the Willow. I almost hit two rafters that wouldn't move if you paid them to. There will be a river boats running during the day and evening but shouldn't be any at night.
    There is very little jet boat use on the Willow in my past experience. There is always a few now and then but it is primarily a raft river.

IMO it is not big enough for jet boats and I have ran mine on it so it isn't a duble standard on my post.

The black airboat is who to look out for.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    And here I thought it was the motorized user that has the responsibility to move......
    Non-powered vessels always have the right of way.

Red face right of way vs the decision-making elite

i promise i'm not trying to stir the pot. NON-POWERED BOATS ABSOLUTELY HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY!
    but if you have 4 rafts holding on 2 each other, side by side, drifting along downstream, do plan on some excitement as you face head on traffic trying to ride the shore rocks to get out of your way.
    ..at least in the river there's no need to flush after the powerboat has gone by.

didnt look too promising. Did really hunt for them but i dunno...