Thread: Homer Ling Cod

Default Homer Ling Cod

I've got some friends coming up next month and they want to try for Ling Cod. I've booked a trip with Fishward Bound to fish out of Homer in late July. Does anyone have any experience in this area that they are willing to share? I know weather conditions will be a major factor but if there's anything else I should be thinking about, I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

I don't fish out of Homer much so I don't have any specific areas to recommend. But if you've booked a charter all to yourselves then I suggest that you tell the service ahead of time that you're interested in catching lings and maybe they can take you where they are. If you'll be on a boat with other people and the service is fishing for halibut, then fishing for lings is pretty much the same as fishing for halibut as far a using the same gear and lures/bait goes. You often find lings where halibut are. If you're specifically targeting lings, then pinnacles are the best places to fish over in my opinion.

Thanks for help. I'll just cross my fingers and hope we don't get a forecast of 7 foot seas. After that, I'm sure the boat skipper will know how to catch the Lings if we can get out to them.

Default Lings

If you can talk them into it....have your captain take you out to the Baron Islands. Good ling cod/bottom fishing. Its a ways out there though.

You don't need to get all the way to the Barren Islands, but down around the Chugach Islands is def. the place to be. You will need some nice weather.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Get a hold of Boneyard Baits. He lives for Homer Lings..

I'm headed out 4th July for Ling trip in Homer...
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK