Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Barney's ever have their website up and running?

Default Will Barney's ever have their website up and running?

Hard to believe that it takes that long to update a website. Unless, of course, he doesn't want any web customers.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Default Soon they say...

Quote Originally Posted by Romo View Post
    "... Unless, of course, he doesn't want any web customers.
    ???

I'm not in business and don't have any inside interest in the store, but I was in there last week. One of the guys working that day said the web site would be up very soon. He was more specific and it sounds encouraging for online planning for 2009 season, but we know there can be unforeseen delays in setting up new equipment of any kind.

In a period when many small and large businesses are stalling or failing, Barney's Sports Chalet, a local small business, appears to be thriving from what I saw last week. Lots of new gear, an amazingly light camp cot and air mattress combination...

Field-ready gear - stuff that works - stuff selected by a hunter who still hunts...are my thoughts when I see, buy, and use gear from that shop. I go there regularly because Barney's is the best at what they do; finding and stocking the best boots, stoves, tents, clothing and accessories for hunting, with some emphasis on sheep hunting. I can't always afford it, but it works--and keeps working. Quality, purpose-built gear: that's their reputation.

Bob Hodson seems to me to be the reason Barney's succeeds. He attends the trade shows in the off-season, haggles with companies to get stuff delivered, gets feedback from customers and makes sure manufacturers and suppliers get feedback from Alaska hunters. They serve an international customer base. And very satisfied customers, I'll bet.

Of the changes I'd make if I could make a wish, a one-day or one-week fire sale would be number one. But if I lived too far away to drop-in, I'd want to start thinking about and planning my Fall hunting with some of the new stuff I saw there last week...online. That would probably be my #1 wish.

Why anyone in business "...doesn't want any web customers" () is beyond me and doesn't seem likely or plausible, but if I had to guess about the lonnnnnngggggg delay in rebuilding the website, I'd guess that Bob just wants it done right. He alone knows the details involved in serving a broad customer base of hunters (and others) with high performance expectations when they use gear from that little store. And he alone will likely be responsible for the mess (and outcry) if the website doesn't work. In his situation, I'd choose to have it right later, than sort-of-right sooner. Just guessing. Best of luck this season.

He had an okay website before. Why not leave it up and running until the new one is ready to launch or just update it? I can't just stop in since I live in Louisiana but I know he has gear that I may want. It's just frustrating.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

I see it as as a cost vs. net profit issue. Websites are out of date in 24 hours, prices go up, most product is custom built product that he holds the manufacturing rights too, and when it is gone, it can't be scheduled for production for many months. My experience is web shoppers want lots of information, but spend little money relative to other methods of marketing. Web shoppers want everything right away. Instant answers to their questions, them more questions, which brings more questions. Web buyers are outraged at the cost to package a backpack of shipping, it might take an employee two hours to make a box for a big frame, and prepare it for shipping. Web buyers want it for the Great Alaskan Sportsman Show price that their buddy paid 4 months ago. The cost in man hours even after the site is up is shocking for a small/few employee business. And if the site crashes or is down for any reason people are miffed.

Default Website

I know that Bob is trying to do this website right and yes, cost if part of it. As a small business owner I can tell you that you have to think smarter and run leaner just to get by. Bob has been trying to put together a system that Accurately tracks inventory for both in the store and web sales. It is not the easiest thing to do, but he will get it done and get it done right.

I am sure that Bob is as impatient as all of us and would like for it to have been completed months ago. In the end, it will simplify ordering, sales, inventory and restocking. This should keep the business running and customers happy.

Once it is up and running, please give him some feedback as it has taken a lot of effort and money on his part.

Cheers,

Matt M

I could see bob getting himself in a situation where he had a TON of orders that would overextend his manufacturing capability. While on one hand it would be great to have that problem the negative is angry customers which ruins reputation. It sounds like Bob is taking the time to build a solid foundation to fully support an e-commerce solution.

Default Hit the nail on the head I believe...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt M View Post
    ... Bob has been trying to put together a system that Accurately tracks inventory for both in the store and web sales. It is not the easiest thing to do, but he will get it done and get it done right. Matt M
    Last year, Bob's Mother mentioned this specifically, the need for a system that tied in inventory, orders, cash register --it's a whole, integrated system.

I posted this last year too but when I ordered a GPS receiver a month before my first hunt, first from REI, then Cabelas. The software in use by REI (at the time) did not check stocks at the time of order. Cabelas did. I think REI has since improved their system, but even multimillion dollar national corporations can get it wrong. In fact, I think the overwhelming demand for online orders was part of the reason to update the equipment/system.

Call Barney's and see what they say: 907.561.5242. "We are open (Alaska Time)10am-7pm M-F plus 10am-5pm Saturdays; Sundays Seasonally".

BTW-When I was in there last week, they did have the Helly Hanson camo anorak, which I hear is a revival.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I could see bob getting himself in a situation where he had a TON of orders that would overextend his manufacturing capability. While on one hand it would be great to have that problem the negative is angry customers which ruins reputation. It sounds like Bob is taking the time to build a solid foundation to fully support an e-commerce solution.
    My thoughts exactly.

Default Nope

I drove by today 6/24/09 and there was a bunch of Hilleberg tents set up in the parking lot, they look fairly busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Romo View Post
    Hard to believe that it takes that long to update a website. Unless, of course, he doesn't want any web customers.

Sorry for the delays. Getting the website going has been top priority for the last 3-4 weeks. All the the products ~3,500 had to be entered, inventoried, and priced. I'm hoping it will be up by the end of this week or the end of next week at the latest. Thanks for your patients guys. Feel free to contact us at the store if you need assistance.

Brett

I have some Database experience and programming new network software...I know it can be a pain, especially if your trying to set up a web based catalog. Are you the administrator for the network?

Just a grunt. It's actually a funny story, but I got a job there to make some money and learn while I'm buying a chiropractic office in town here. It was a great decision on my part. Having just moved up from Ohio I got the Barney's crash course in Alaska hunting and hunting gear and upped my Alaska IQ a couple hundred points. I'm still working there off and on until my practice gets too busy (mostly because I enjoy it and the prices don't hurt when you are reoutfitting yourself. Most of my Ohio gear just doesn't cut it up here.

Brett

Default Thanks...

Thanks for the update, Brett.
    Welcome to Alaska.

Thanks. I'll be sure to let you guys know as soon as I know anything else. I'll be working saturday, so hopefully it will be up or I will find out a date if it isn't.

Brett

If I were Bob I wouldn't mess with anything other than listing the products they stock. No online sales at all. The specialized stuff Barney's sells and it's limited availability can really bite a company in the butt.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

To my knowledge everything will be online for sale.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    If I were Bob I wouldn't mess with anything other than listing the products they stock. No online sales at all. The specialized stuff Barney's sells and it's limited availability can really bite a company in the butt.
    If it is properly set up and tied to an accurate inventory system then he should have no issues. If I was Bob I would certainly want to capitalize on that revenue stream! He just needs to make sure that he covers all of his basses which sounds like exactly what is happening.

If internet sales compromises Barneys' ability to maintain their in-store service levels and inventory? They'll lose their customers that got them where they are. I'm sure Bob knows it.

Companies that focus on impersonal service don't do anything for me.

I think the idea is to stay the same Barney's, but have a web presence for those who can't just pop in the store to try things on or see them in person.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    All the the products ~3,500 had to be entered, inventoried, and priced. I'm hoping it will be up by the end of this week or the end of next week at the latest. Brett
    Are you crazy? 3500 items need to be entered into your data base! I started with top movers and then added as time went by.

What POS system are you running?

Is your POS connected to your database?

Who code wrote your data base? Local or was it bought.

I created and managed a web base sales, to be honest, its darn near an 8 hour 7 day a week operation. I did this 8 hours a day at work and more time at home. Did it bring in more sales? Of course but its near a lost leader and has to be managed 24/7/365 or will cause many headaches and complaints. I hope Bob has hired a data base guru!

Good luck.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast