Thread: floating birch creek

Default floating birch creek

looking for anybody that has floated birch creek for info.planning a hunting trip and would like any info I can get about the river or the area. thanks

Default Lots of old Post &

http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/prog/sa/birchcrk_nwr.html Check out the BLM web site

I will tell you this if the water is low the first day or two are fun. If the water is high the first two days are still fun i.e. the potential to drag.

Suggest you check the archieves you will find a ton of data. Expect to take 10 days to hunt it decently 12-15 to hunt it the way it should be. Stay high in the hills IMO.

If the weather is warm more walking to find your animals if it is a cold Sept you might find more closer to the river. Don't expect to be hunting alone by any means.

Suggest you research out the most prodcutive looking areas prior and concentrate your efforts in those areas. Yes you could be lucky like my friends from MI and have a hot cow come across the river followed by a bull however on average there is a lot of hill climbing and walking involved for most harvest.

Best of luck

Blue Moose

Default floating birch creek

What excellent news, both about Alan and the re-birth of the Birch Creek canoes.

I already own a Birch Creek and it is the dogs whats its.

Best of luck

Send me an email. I am going this year as well and have done before. Basic input: Low water, drag your arse off the first day or so. High water, will have more fun, faster trip down stream which will let you hunt more. You have a few rapids to portage unless you are experienced and / or have a big raft. Here is my planning factor: you need 10-11 days to hunt 4 hard. you need to recon, find a spot, hunt hard and move. If you don't see a good spot you have to move or you will end up having a long float. The lower section is boring as hell as it is real slow, boats, air boats and lots of huge oxbows. I recommend not shooting a mosse early. for instance, if you shoot one on day 1 and you got 3 other hunters you end having to float hard to get the meat out before it sours so the other 3 end up trying to shoot somthing off the river edge - not much chance of that. bring your hiking boots as you have to trek to find moose. I have shot 2 there, worked my ass off for both, met some nice folks but it is not remote. I have pulled one guy out of the water in a rapid and saw a hole camp with 6 dudes get completely flooded out when the river came up at night. Camp in dark timber when it rains as the flow can drastically change.

More it you want.

I made a you tube video a few years ago that you might want to watch to get a feel for the area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=LfC7dNFHJOE&feature=fvst
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

are motors allowed on any or all parts of birch creek?

only solar powered.
    Tim