Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 40 mile caribou?

Default 40 mile caribou?

How did so many find out about chicken ridge in just a short period of time.. In the last 5 years it went from 20 to 200 people. It is almost scary to take the kids out there with that many other rifles pointing in the same direction. Loose lips and desire has turned good spots into bad.. Kind of like standard creek rd out of fairbanks for grouse.. any takes????

My thoughts are there are way to many people talking about hunts they go on. Not to mention the internet does wounders when you talk about places to go. How many new people do you think will consider going on a new hunt just from a read on the boards.

Think If 5 new people go to chicken one year and they all get bou and tell all their friends where they went; how many people would be there the next year? Now if that happened for five years you end up with what is at chicken ridge now.

So consider that when talking about hunting spots. Some things are just better kept a secret.

A sucessful caribou hunting area with moderatly easy access, what did you expect?? I have been hunting that area for a while now too and it does suck, its the only time when i am out hunting that i feel like i should have on Blaze orange. I would also blame it on the tight regs of unit 13. My inability to draw a tier II tag (now Tier I) has forced me to look for other areas to hunt for caribou. My yearly caribou hunt is one of my favorite hunts to go on, and i would rather be up in the mountians than on the Dalton.

I agree, it sucks, but i have actually noticed that chicken ridge was a little bit slower last year. The 'Bou hadnt moved in that area yet and everyone was going pass chicken, maybe it will be the same this year.

I will tell you that it's been this way for more than 5 years. I use to hunt the 40 Mile back in the early 90's an it was a rat race then, it's a very popular hunt and a lot of people see it as an easy hunt. I haven't hunted there since '94 and was thinking about going this year but with several sheep hunts, a moose and goat hunt on the books I just don't have the time.
    Maybe taking this hunt to a draw for residents would be a better idea, it would cut down on the masses of people and the number of wounded and illegal caribou taken from the herd. I don't reallly like the idea of a draw but I don't see any other alternative.

I believe it is a lack of opportunity to hunt caribou. Nelchina is Tier II (or whatever mess they made this year), WAC & CAC are fly in and expensive, and Chicken Ridge is accessible and huntable from either Anchorage or Fairbanks and you ONLY need a registration permit. And of course you need to be able to hunt & finish hunting by the 10th or 12th!

Tim

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Rob, i have to agree with AK hunter, the history of chicken ridge is a long one of over zealot hunters. even as a young man i listened to the stories and sometimes rage of hunting experiences up there. at least since the late 80's early 90's

in part it is the same as 20 a for moose.. years ago F&G post maps of trails people talked and now every one heads up there for one of the few places in the state that are road accessible and are only harvest tags. the same with the Steece hunt in the winter.

i akin it to fishing reds on the Russian. my last week on the Kenai seen HUGE changes in daily fishing populations. though the mid week was still crowded the weekend traffic was OMG... yet folks still do it on the CHANCE they will be successful. i bet many vow they will never do it again, and search for other means, only to come back to "the Kenai is still affordable to get to", "the Steece is still affordable to get to" the "Taylor is still affordable to get to" such as the Haul road is quickly becoming. you have done those fall hunts, and know what your tripping over there, and it has only been open for a little over 10 years now.

Alaska has such limited access, that the population is constricted to few areas, these areas are being developed, or claimed by corporations, or just bought up and turned private,

there is limited plans for furthering Alaska's infrastructure to allow people to spread out, and when the few plans are brought up, folks in the lower 48 scream and yell we are ruining paradise... and to me that is funny.

my Trip last week to Nevada and AZ, saw the BILLIONS being spent on a bridge to go around Hoover dam, fresh pavement over 100'sd of miles of highway. i did not see a crack or a heave, or a subdivision with out pavement. every house has power even the remote ones five miles in up the side of the hill..( though i don't know if it is considered remote if i can see the five miles( or 50) across the highway)

our hunting access is based on political pressure, and public demand, and until some of the OUTSIDE politics and public demands are silenced, our personal pressures will continue to be pushed on, and over run.

our favorite grounds, will be hunted harder yet, and people do strange things as the competitive nature in them is pushed to the maximum limit when faced with entire towns of folks looking at ONE animal.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I agree that its a result of relatively easy access and tighter restrictions in other places. I refuse to hunt there because I don't want to deal with the circus.
    There are lots of other places to go for caribou where you won't even see another hunter. A big part of the reason is that the guys who put in the work to find those places aren't talking about them.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Cool 40 mile bou.

bragging and loose lips will do it!!! only way is to keep it quite, but i think it's way too late for that. just like russian river everyone and their grandmas are out there. keep your favorate spots a secret that's how i row.

I agree with everyone, Loose lips sink ships as we say in the military....Nearly all the hunts and fishing areas that are easily accessable are just so nut to but anymore thats its no longer fun to go and participate. Made a mistake a few years ago of taking a friend to a great little honey hole for trout and I mean honey hole. I havent pulled a fish out of there in two years...also made a mistake about talking about my bear bait stand, if you all remember I posted the 3 1/2 legged bear pics on the forum, same night that bear was shot I was sittin in the stand, heard a shot ring out and thought I was getting shot at, *******s baiting right on top of me and never even knew it but have talked to them and say they are well over a mile from me but that night confirmed they are full of ****.but this year there are so many people I have never seen before baiting where I am... just gettin out of control everywhere....

Wink shhhhh!!

no more honey just hole now. even friends can't be trusted sometimes! even though they are so called ur friends. if you want to be the only one
    out there then don't tell anyone.

theres a few good spots to go around chicken for bou and moose than the ridge. it takes time but it pays to explore.

we did the ridge thing a few times and all I gotta say is"screw that".

we go other places now, atleast we did. been a couple of years but I want to do another trip and its not gonna be to chicken ridge.

Default Dont forget

back in the early 90's not every Tom Dick and Harry could affor a 4 wheeler to get in there and of course this was all before the internet and forums like this one. Back then we would go up in Sept and shoot our bou, the season never closed before the 20th of Sept, at least not that I can remember. Between easy financing, the internet and big mouths, places like Chicken soon become zoo's Same thing has happened to the Haul Rd hunt.

Talking This Forum doesn't help!

Check the archives guys, there is a plethora of info on Chicken ridge in here. But that's okay....We can all hunt and get along.....want to be by yourself....spend the money and do a fly in...ANYTHING road or 4wheeler and now Raftable will be crowded. Thems the breaks. It's okay as long as it isn't dangerous, like winter steese bou is. Snowmachines chasing bou every direction. It's not a hunt, it's like dipnetting....total carniage.

Lets fly out and have a good time.....just save your pennies.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Springer View Post
    Check the archives guys, there is a plethora of info on Chicken ridge in here. But that's okay....We can all hunt and get along.....want to be by yourself....spend the money and do a fly in...ANYTHING road or 4wheeler and now Raftable will be crowded. Thems the breaks. It's okay as long as it isn't dangerous, like winter steese bou is. Snowmachines chasing bou every direction. It's not a hunt, it's like dipnetting....total carniage.

Lets fly out and have a good time.....just save your pennies.

Fly outs. Thats the way I roll

Default Hunt

Well, I'll put a different perspective on the Chicken Ridge Trail. We did that hunt in 2003 and I will be headed to Fairbanks and then to Chicken to do the hunt again this August. Probably that makes me one of the "hordes" but I will still be careful about what I shoot.

Yes, by Alaska standards it is a crowded hunt. By my standards not quite as much - but still plenty of people. Of course, last time we didn't find many caribou so, if we find some this time, I may change my mind.

I love it how some folks say flying out is the only way to go. It has its merits, dont get me wrong.

IMO, get your butt off the ATV, raft and snowmachine and learn how to hunt. Machines scare up so many animals but usually the folks are going so fast they dont see them.

Also a fly-in doesnt mean your gonna be alone. anybody who thinks that is not thinking clearly, unless you own your own airplane. charters are gonna put you somewhere thats decent and that saves them money for the most part. guess what, all charters know the areas that they fly in. your not gonna be alone.

I've had good success by fly-ins and equally by ATV's.

Exclamation Dc-827

After hunting Chicken ridge, and the mass of hunters I opted to put in for adraw and pulled the DC-827 tag. Does anyone have any input for that area?

This forum is to blame for much of the crowding in so many areas, thats a fact! Everytime folks post a title and location of their success or adventure its read by way too many eyes, some new to Alaska, heck some not even from Alaska!

I mean how many posts keep popping up here on how to hunt the haul road, Etiquette for the Haul rd, for gods sake this forum is practically a step by step how to hunt or fish anything in Alaska. Some folks feel the need to expose their experiences in detail, and for god knows what reason?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Oneshoe Bobby View Post
    After hunting Chicken ridge, and the mass of hunters I opted to put in for adraw and pulled the DC-827 tag. Does anyone have any input for that area?

LOL and another....

a couple theads already on that one...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default definition

[QUOTE=AlaskaCub;538353]This forum is to blame for much of the crowding in so many areas, thats a fact! Everytime folks post a title and location of their success or adventure its read by way too many eyes, some new to Alaska, heck some not even from Alaska!

Forum definition: an assembly, meeting place, television program, etc., for the discussion of questions of public interest.

Hunting is a sport open to the public especially in public use areas. I understand the frustration when a good spot turns into a tailgate party but it is what it is. I personally enjoy the forum and sharing information. You yourself had to start information gathering somewhere wether it be sharing a beer at the local VFW or in a book, magazine or forum.
    "No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" T. Roosevelt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast