Thread: best place to ride the end of October

Exclamation best place to ride the end of October

Hey,
    I'm getting back from Iraq the end of August and am trying to plan a big trip for myself and some of my soldiers. Just would like to know when/where to go the end of October. I was thinking Valdez but have never been there before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ben

It all depends how cold the fall is and how much snow it produces. Not to sure if valdez is a good bet that time of year, Eureka and Petersville might be your best bet.

Exclamation Maybe????

I think that time of year is more likely still 4-wheeler time. Creeks can still be open and the back county is still ruffer that heck! If you get lucky and get a dump of snow Peterville can be a good road run, but be careful!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

Ditch banging around Cantwell will probably be the first place to ride.

I rode deep powder last year on Oct 29 down in the range, that was the exception rather then the rule

Cool

October is a little early to plan a good ride. Need more snow with a good base to get around on

Default snow information

Hope this might help. I did a little research on snow amounts in the following areas based on the closest weather reporting stations available. The data was for the last 20 years with the exception of the last 10 years in the trapper creek area (close as I could get to petersville).

Petersville average snowfall in oct = 7.73 inches.
    Cantwell average snow fall in oct = 16.1 inches.
    Glennallen (is the closest to eureka I could get) average oct snowfall is 8.11 inches.
    Valdez average oct snowfall is 11.90 inches.

The averages snowfall on the ground at the end of the month was not very promising. The figures above are the total average for the month. The most on the ground in the last 20 years in oct was 12 inches at Valdez and 7 inches in Cantwell. I am sure the mountains around the areas will have more snow though.

Just a little info for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Ditch banging around Cantwell will probably be the first place to ride.
    Man, even this may be iffy...

The phone is your best friend...call around

before I got my boat, our first ride was usually the first weekend in October in the Cantwell area....far from deep but plenty up in the hills to have a good time....the only minor problem you may face is the rivers aren't even close to freezing....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Forget the Tompson Pass/Valdez to well into the year. They need feet of snow.

Eureka not until Thanksgiving during a good year, but sometimes a little (very little)riding may be had earlier just no real off trail stuff. Unless we get dumped on.

Same with Petersville earlier ridng can be had but need to watch the swamps and very little off road to had unless we get a dump or you get back to the range.

Plan more for after Thanksgiving. Better all around chance for riding.

I am all about earlier/late season riding but only with well experienced riders. About Thanksgiving one year I rode the Su/Yetena river, literally. Some areas would have been better suited to boat travel then sled travel.

I will keep you posted.

Dupont, keep me in the back of your mind for putting the stink eye on my sled...you'll be getting a call one of these days....

Default Denali Highway

We were riding the Denali Highway last year at the end of October. Somewhat spotty, but does give you a good shakedown on the sled. Every year is dramatically different, and the best plan is to call around. We are in the center of the highway, 11 miles East of the Su, and are open all year round now, so just send me a note, or send the actual lodge manager a note to check on snow conditions. alpinecreekmgr@gmail.com You can always check with Maclaren River Lodge also, 26 miles to the East of us, and they have a webcam on thier site that updates a picture every hour, year round. I always look on there and see how many snow machines are parked out front. Here's a link right to their webcam: http://www.maclarenlodge.com/webcam.htm Al and Sue are some great people and would be glad to help you out with information.

Good Luck! Can't wait to get the machines out!!

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Dupont, keep me in the back of your mind for putting the stink eye on my sled...you'll be getting a call one of these days....

Bring it anytime....I just had mine running today and rolled all the tracks over for a couple of minutes. When I came out of the trailer the wife was gone and not a word said to me where she was going She knows what's coming

Last year was an exceptionally early start. I usually don't ride until Thanksgiving.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem