Thread: In-field trophy care question

Default In-field trophy care question

For those of you experienced in taking care of your animal in the field, here is a quick question. When it comes to fleshing the hide, what tool have you found to be the most helpful? (razor blade, ulu, knife etc.) Thanks

Default gotta be sharp

i like a sharp blade that has a long cutting length that is arched and isnt too thick and real easy to sharpen...
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

I have become a convert to the razor blade/kitchen shear method. It was recommended to me by my taxidermist and has worked very well on bear. I ordered a Havalon razor, and can skin and butcher a bear with one blade, turn split and pop knuckles with a second, switch to the scissors for fleshing.

Jabba

I only use a contractor razor blades when turning everything. Usually do a bear in 5 blades. I like the Havalon when making all my cuts and skinning. If I am able to get home quick I just put the hide on a beam and use knife that is curved with two handles. It is about the length of a machette but curved and two handles.

Thanks for the help. I am going on a caribou hunt in a few weeks and I am just trying to find out the best tool to pack along with me.

Just a good carbon steel knife I use for every need of a sharp blade and a stone to keep it sharp.
    Never neeeded anything more or less, and I dont mind a break to resharpen my knife and do the other half of a big Bear or another two Caribou .
    Also Great for steaks, whittling, carving, boneing, skinning, cuttuing veggies, ect....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

For caribou I agree with shark and stranger. All you really need is a good knife with a decent blade. Turning ears, etc on a bear requires a little more in the way of tools, a small, sharp kife, scalpel, or similar tool works well. If you are caping the caribou, turning the ears, lips, nose also requires the additional tools.

Default for doin all that

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    For caribou I agree with shark and stranger. All you really need is a good knife with a decent blade. Turning ears, etc on a bear requires a little more in the way of tools, a small, sharp kife, scalpel, or similar tool works well. If you are caping the caribou, turning the ears, lips, nose also requires the additional tools.

i use one of these...and have actually skinned entire animals from goats to sheep to bears brown and black with one....and i mean one knife....just gotta keep em sharp

"early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Quote Originally Posted by jjzzshen View Post
    Has anyone bought this type of sling shot before that holds the amo in the handle? http://www.liangdianup.com/sporting_1.htm
    this company has free shipping to anywhere in the world and they guarantee delivery to Australia. I heard that sling shots
    are ok to sell in Australia as long as you say they are being used to toss bait in the water when you go fishing, any truth
    to thatone?
    Yup, you're a troll. Mods, he dropped his fecal pellets over in the muzzleloading section too. Another one for the ban list!