Thread: Tanners

Default Tanners

Iread the regulations and crabbing opens July 15 in Homer again this year. I fished years ago in Homer for Dungees but never for tanners. Any body have any info on how deep to set pots ? Or which direction to go, up Kachemack or out in the middle? Thanx

Default dont know if this helps

we set shrimp pots out of whittier and have prblems with crabs in them and we set on inclines at about 450-600 feet deep and rocky

Default Tanners

DEEEPER THAN 300' thats all you're getting out of me.
    CHRIS

Thanx Chris, that helps.

Default Where to find Tanners

BTW If you find my buoys do not set your pots anywhere near them as ther are no tanners within miles of my pots.I have never seen more than oh lets say 180-190 crabs in my pots anyway.Of course they were not all legal size but we got our limits most of the time.
    Bring your Binoculars and some good pots from Gear Shed or Potbuilder. Look for buoys in areas you want to try then move off 1/10 of a mile staying in the same depth range as the buoys you marked.Drop em and wait.Minimum of 6 hours 24 is best.

Thanx, I have some of Steve's shrimp pots, but I don't know of any body that has experience with the crab pots, has anybody tried them? I know the shrimp pots work great.

Default Steve's Crab Pots

Since he just came out with his crab pots this spring there has not been an open season anywhere in southcentral to test them.
    I just might buy a couple for my buddy to use next month. Would like to see how they stack up to my gear shed pots.They look real good and if I end up trying them I will keep you all updated with some pics.

How many crab pots can you put out? I know you can have five shrimp pots in PWS, but I don't know about crab pots?

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    How many crab pots can you put out? I know you can have five shrimp pots in PWS, but I don't know about crab pots?
    2 per boat

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692