Thread: Sockeye help needed

Default Sockeye help needed

Guys i have a question or three. I am going to be fishing the Kenai the third week of July and have some fly questions. Why do the flies i have read about have such a long shank? If reds like sparse flies why go so long? I am going to tie some yarn flies with Gami Octopus hooks and have a few questions there as well. Are yarn flies any good and what size Gami Octopus hook should i use? Thanks for your help!

Default Hook gap not shank length...

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Guys i have a question or three. I am going to be fishing the Kenai the third week of July and have some fly questions. Why do the flies i have read about have such a long shank? If reds like sparse flies why go so long? I am going to tie some yarn flies with Gami Octopus hooks and have a few questions there as well. Are yarn flies any good and what size Gami Octopus hook should i use? Thanks for your help!
    I believe the old stanby coho fly are tyed on 4x heavy wire which is cheaper on 2x-4x long.... Really that small of octopus would not hold up to much of the Sears and Robuck Crand and Cable that ppl use up there on terminal gear...

That being said look for heavy shank hooks that Trustworthy has in smaller sizes... Usually in the bead section accross from the Flatfish and Spin and Glo's.

Question Where?

What section of the Kenai River? That will determine what hook size to tie your flies. The upper river has a hook gap of no more than 3/8" to be a legal hook from Kenai lake down to Skilak lake. The rest of the river does not have a size limit and that is because of the King salmon fishing. I was having a great time fishing with an orange/tangerine fly during the cloudy parts of the day and an all black fly when the sun came out. Good fishing and tight lines.

Use shrimp patterns.....

If you use a #4 owner Octopus hooks they will work well. The owner hooks are made with heavier wire because of their point design. I do well with either black or orange yarn flies.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

I use a size 2 or 4 salmon/steelhead hook. Mustad 36890. I have some size 1, but I think the gap is too big for the confluence. A size 2, in most hooks, is as big as you can get and be legal. Always measure the hook gap to be sure.
    Colors I use are orange or chartreuse.

Quote Originally Posted by akriverman View Post
    What section of the Kenai River? That will determine what hook size to tie your flies. The upper river has a hook gap of no more than 3/8" to be a legal hook from Kenai lake down to Skilak lake. The rest of the river does not have a size limit and that is because of the King salmon fishing. I was having a great time fishing with an orange/tangerine fly during the cloudy parts of the day and an all black fly when the sun came out. Good fishing and tight lines.
    There are three Fly-Fishing-Only areas below Skilak Lake; 1) Slikok Creek, 2)Funny River, and 3)Lower Killey River. A description of these areas are found on page 48 of the Southcentral Regulation Summary booklet. Gear in Fly-Fishing-Only waters are defined on page 4 and 51. Hook gap in these waters are also limited to no more than 3/8".

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati...al/SCkenai.pdf

Default Oops

Forgot about those 3 tribs. Thanks akkona.