Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our State Police in action

Default Our State Police in action

I was just run out of a gravel pit by a Trooper near the Old Glenn Highway Bridge as I was setting up to shoot. The Trooper says It's now not legal to shoot in the KRPUA. I tell him I,m not in the KRPUA and he says this whole area is in the area.
    Just got home and checked the map to be sure and found that I was on the opposite side of the road from the KRPUA. So, what do you think of a trooper telling me I can't shoot somewhere when he doesn't know the boundary? I will have a map showing the area when I go back. Is there somewhere I can report this that might make a difference? Or is this just a matter of he's right just because he's a trooper even if he's legally wrong

Default Total bs

I just had to miss some work the other day to go to court and find out once again that the average working guy has no chance at all without an attorney. It seems that with the budget cuts and soforth that to make up for it the cops and the judges now make the rules. They will do as they please because apparently they are the law or some such crap, and it probably wont get you anything but a headache to fight it. I dont know first hand about the troopers but it seems that with both Anchorage city cops and judges the proof just wont cut it.

Sorry to rant on something not outdoors related for the most part but just wanted to let you know that I feel for you and it may be a waste of time to go and try to get it straightened out. Best of luck whatever you choose.

Default What?

I'm trying to figure out what you meant by: I just had to miss some work the other day to go to court and find out once again that the average working guy has no chance at all without an attorney. It seems that with the budget cuts and soforth that to make up for it the cops and the judges now make the rules. They will do as they please because apparently they are the law or some such crap, and it probably wont get you anything but a headache to fight it. I dont know first hand about the troopers but it seems that with both Anchorage city cops and judges the proof just wont cut it.

This is pretty vague stuff, my friend. Kind of hard to know what the actual situation you found yourself in was all about.

Porcine wearers of uniforms.

Next time take the map with you, but then you'd get tased, gassed, then stomped...prolly.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

rbuck351:
    The Kid is right. You don't stand a chance. I don't need any details, as I've experienced it myself, a long time ago. Anytime they like, a State Trooper may stop you from shooting. They can always find a reason, and think they are doing their job. From their perspective, maybe they are.

With me, he said, "yes it is", (illegal) you can't shoot in a public place, and then he began to ridicule, and browbeat me, asking if my 280 Rem. was a 22. etc. etc. I was a dumb kid, and I let it go, because I didn't know what else to do. That's why "Smitty fought the law, and the Law Won" wasn't a best seller.

You were gonna shoot there, and the Trooper ran you off. Leave it at that, and find someplace else, if you can. Or, maybe next time you won't get the same Trooper.

Good Luck either way

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Thumbs up don't butt heads

Just go to the land manager, be it county, BLM or Forest service, show them your map and see what they say. Get their ok in writing, and if confronted again, then show the trooper and go from there. Be civil, but positive. I've gone thru this same experience...and kept my favorite shooting spot.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

stimpy

There's a range just a few miles down the highway from there in Birchwood.

I have found that if you are sure you are right (and you better be absolutely sure) then if you are polite and inform them that you believe absolutely that they are mistaken, they will try to be assertive and throw their weight around, as they do because they can, what I do is respectfully asked that his supervisor be called or that both of you can go see his supervisor or ask for the supervisors name, so that you can contact the supervisor for clarification and that usually stops the bravado and they get a lot more reasonable.

I believe it works because they know they could be wrong (seed of doubt) and that getting a supervisor involved, can make them look bad because they could not handle it without the supervisor getting involved or especially if they are wrong or they have any doubts about being right.

But as I mentioned above, only use this approach if you are absolutely sure you are right and be polite but firm.

I have used this approach on several occasions with success.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

hey WHO owns the gravel pit? dont asume they are public,
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default I'm not sure

what pit you were in??
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Sorry for my vagueness ( if thats a word) it was for a traffic violation if you must know, but the thing that matters is still the same, they will do as they please with an unrepresented blue collar guy. Never had anything but trouble from officers of anykind, notthing serious, just that they're never there when you need them and are when you dont. Example called cops because several drunks are in my driveway at 3:00 AM being a nuisance yelling and fighting, I'm told they are on the way, mind you I live 100ft from a police station. So @ 4:15 here comes the cavalry thundering down the alley from the station, well after my neighbor went out to run of the offenders, gosh sure glad the law was Johnny on the spot that time. Last month trooper pulls me over and writes me a ticket for not having a front license plate, I dont know what happened to the pplate and realize that it is against the law no matter how ridiculos the law happens to be. But I also think that there may be slightly more serious crimes than the license plate offense.

No need to Jack the Thread about Palin's Tax Collectors. Bottom line is you were lucky not to get a Ticket. Be happy and go to Birchwood. The whole area was out of control and it was only a matter of time. Cost more to shoot for free than the 10 bucks to shoot and not worry.

As a law enforcement officer I am tired of listening to people whine about us doing our job. If you think you are in the right then take it to court. Trust me, there is no grand conspiracy between us and the judges. I have seen many good cases get dismessed for no reason other than the magistrates personal misconceptions. I have been doing this job long enough to realize that even guilty people go free sometimes. However, when you are in the wrong, man up and admit, otherwise quit you're whining.

Steve

Where is this gravel pit at? Opposite side of what road from the KRPUA? I can't place a pit down there just outside the boundary.

Best to comply with any law officer’s request even if you are 100% sure, they are just trying to do their job and it’s not an easy job by any means. They are trained to react the way they do for a reason, it’s not a power trip, it’s that they can’t take your word and won’t argue with you about it.

Put yourself in his place, he believes you are breaking the law and he is sworn to act, he can’t just shake his head and drive on by, he is compelled to take action on his belief that a law is being broken. He did the least “power trip” thing he could, he says “You are breaking the law, please stop now.” He could have gone other ways that are far more unpleasant for you, from tickets to arresting you and holding your gun as evidence, but he just asked you to stop.

In this situation I would have gotten his contact info so I could send him the correct information later if I found he was mistaken. I have made a couple very good friends like this over the years. No need to be pissy with anyone for doing their job.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Where is this gravel pit at? Opposite side of what road from the KRPUA? I can't place a pit down there just outside the boundary.

Best to comply with any law officer’s request even if you are 100% sure, they are just trying to do their job and it’s not an easy job by any means. They are trained to react the way they do for a reason, it’s not a power trip, it’s that they can’t take your word and won’t argue with you about it.

Put yourself in his place, he believes you are breaking the law and he is sworn to act, he can’t just shake his head and drive on by, he is compelled to take action on his belief that a law is being broken. He did the least “power trip” thing he could, he says “You are breaking the law, please stop now.” He could have gone other ways that are far more unpleasant for you, from tickets to arresting you and holding your gun as evidence, but he just asked you to stop.

In this situation I would have gotten his contact info so I could send him the correct information later if I found he was mistaken. I have made a couple very good friends like this over the years. No need to be pissy with anyone for doing their job.
    agreed 100%
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

The only thing "gravel pit" like that comes to mind for me is the man made lake on KRR. That is certainly not a place to go shooting though I have seen some spent brass there in the past.

Regarding the shooting restrictions in KPRUA, does this restrict rifle hunting or just recreational shooting?

stimpy

Quote Originally Posted by alaskariverguy View Post
    As a law enforcement officer I am tired of listening to people whine about us doing our job.
    As you likely know, there will always be those who hate law enforcement officers for several reasons, one of which is that they simply resent somebody having power over them. I'd like to think that the majority of people aren't that way or can see through the bs that cop haters spew, but I don't think so anymore. More and more, people are resenting the mere existence of law, and are turning law into their own version of special interest control over others.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I just had to miss some work the other day to go to court and find out once again that the average working guy has no chance at all without an attorney. It seems that with the budget cuts and soforth that to make up for it the cops and the judges now make the rules. They will do as they please because apparently they are the law or some such crap, and it probably wont get you anything but a headache to fight it. I dont know first hand about the troopers but it seems that with both Anchorage city cops and judges the proof just wont cut it.

Sorry to rant on something not outdoors related for the most part but just wanted to let you know that I feel for you and it may be a waste of time to go and try to get it straightened out. Best of luck whatever you choose.
    Thats the way its unless you have an antorney that will make them (trooper to judges) actualy follow the law. They can an most often do what is illeagleif its in there revinue interest or if they think their power is at risk.

Just an example I saw a car run two stop signs intering a divide hwy (w/meridin) and ran a pickup truck off the road as it narrowly avoided the car. It was a big ditch and did jump cribs so some damage was very possible. This happened right in front of me I did have to brake hard to not get hit by the pickup. I got the cars licence plate and get this the state trooper was 100 yards behide us looking for speeders so his back was to us. Gave him the plate number and he looked and saw the truck in the ditch. His reply did the vechicles hit? I said no, his reply nothing I can do about a moving violation I did not see myselfe.

He is right he can not leagly write a ticket and as substandciated by a county detective and friend nether can any ticket be written by a call in as when one trooper is in a plane, or just sits with radar and other troopers do the actual pull over a mille down the road. But as he said just try to get out of one of those tickets it will never happen. Even thou it is ILLEGLE for them to do it. These lawers have to be infront of these same judges every day so does the judge ou the lawer a favor or not? If not the lawer just took you for a ride. So do not think for a second that in this day of situational eithics there is real blind justise for all. I have seen toopers lie under oath and have seen overtime scandle with different trooper who where not at sene show up in court to get overtime with the judge suport. And after getting transcipes been told we will not send one of your troopers to jail we will do you under the geyes of contemp. latter in the hallway a passing lawer said kid this is serious we all know what going on here that judge isn't going to perision you will. I was 17 homble as could be and just nieve. What a education that was back in 1977 hwo bad do you think it is now.

The Kid, it is against the law not to have both plates. Regardles sof how you feel the importance is, you were in violation of the statute, not a regulation. If in fact the plate was missing, why even fight it?
    Sec. 28.10.171. Display of registration plates.

(a) When two registration plates are issued for a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which issued, one in front and the other in the rear.

tjen please work a little on spell check, its hard to follow sometimes. It is not illegal for one officer to run the speed gun and another pull you over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast