Thread: Air Taxi direct from Anchorage to Koliganek

Default Air Taxi direct from Anchorage to Koliganek

Anyone know of direct air taxi from Anchorage to Koliganek? Need a flight for a fall bear hunt for two hunters. Would be interested in options and how the prices are compared to flying into Dillingham and connecting to Koliganek.

From a pure safety/comfort standpoint, probably better to take the PenAir(?) flight from Anchorage to Dillingham, then shuttle to Koliganek from there. If you take an air taxi from Anchorage to Koliganek, don't you have to traverse a couple of tight mountain passes that can be really dangerous if the clouds drop in?

A charter from Anchorage to Koliganek is going to be way more expensive than buying a ticket to DLG and then to KGK. RT to DLG = $450+/- and a seat fare to KGK around 200 RT. Not mention flying through the mountains with someone who may or may not have made that trip before.

KK

Just found Danaina air taxi online on an outfitters site and clipd the following from the apgs.com outfitter website. They mention two flight options to Koliganek:

You have 2 options: Option # 1 . You fly from Anchorage direct to the river village of Koliganek and we meet you there. Estimated $470. You would probably spend the night in Anchorage coming in since the flight is mid morning. You would return to Anchorage by mid day and have plenty of time to leave for home that day.

Option #2: You will fly commercially from Anchorage to Dillingham ($440 R.T). Then on to Koliganek ($180 R.T). We can help arrange that flight. We will meet you in Koliganek and take you back to Koliganek.
    On either option, you may want to overnight in Anchorage or Dillingham on your arrival and be ready to fly out in the morning. My pilot has 3 B & B house you can rent in Dillingham. When returning home; schedule your flight out of Dillingham for the late afternoon or evening. -- top

Wow that seems like a screaming deal-except no details-

Is that one way? Minimum number of clients? Say 6 people in a Cessna 207?

How much luggage are you allowed?

That must be only if you booked a hunt with them and they were going to charter in there anyways.

Airtime is spendy-just like everything else "If it sounds too good to be true it probably is"

I chartered a 207 to one of the local beaches and it was $800 RT and that was about 1 hr total flight time. 3 years ago.

KK

Quote Originally Posted by Powerguy View Post
    Just found Danaina air taxi online on an outfitters site and clipd the following from the apgs.com outfitter website. They mention two flight options to Koliganek:

You have 2 options: Option # 1 . You fly from Anchorage direct to the river village of Koliganek and we meet you there. Estimated $470. You would probably spend the night in Anchorage coming in since the flight is mid morning. You would return to Anchorage by mid day and have plenty of time to leave for home that day.

Option #2: You will fly commercially from Anchorage to Dillingham ($440 R.T). Then on to Koliganek ($180 R.T). We can help arrange that flight. We will meet you in Koliganek and take you back to Koliganek.
    On either option, you may want to overnight in Anchorage or Dillingham on your arrival and be ready to fly out in the morning. My pilot has 3 B & B house you can rent in Dillingham. When returning home; schedule your flight out of Dillingham for the late afternoon or evening. -- top
    I'd try to find out the details of the direct to Koliganek flight as Kandiyohi mentioned - if it's in a small bush plane as opposed to a jet, I would NOT recommend that flight to anyone, a lot can go wrong in those mountain passes in a small plane. Way better to invest a couple of hundred bucks in your safety, fly above the mountains over to Dillingham, and then take a flight to Koliganek from there.

They could take off from Anchorage with a glowing weather report of clear sky in the mountain passes, and by the time you get to the pass ther clouds may have dropped down below the top of the mountains and your pucker factor will be incredible. A lot of planes have crashed after the clouds dropped on them in a hurry.

Called Danaina air. They have regularly scheduled flights with a twin engine 10 seater. Price is a little more than going thru Dillingham but seems more convenient. I would guess that they would not fly the route daily if there were issues.

Don't guess with your life pal, as far as I know we only get one. Find out if they fly OVER the mountains or THROUGH the passes to get to Koliganek. Just cause someone flies a plane every day doesn't mean it's safe, or a flight you necessarily want to take.

Are there regular charter flights from Dillingham to Koliganek that will take two passengers and gear?

The connections on PenAir flights don't work for a 5PM flight out of Anchorage to the continental US. It would mean taking at 2am flight and spending the entire next day travelling across the US.

denaina air flys to bristol bay from anchorage every day. safe and first rate. they have regular service to all the villages in the illiamna region.

Denaina is a good outfit. They fly direct from Merrill Field to Koliganek and other communities in the area. I've flown them a couple times with no issues, except don't expect to take off exactly on schedule.

That goes for PenAir too, so no real disadvantage there.

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    Don't guess with your life pal, as far as I know we only get one. Find out if they fly OVER the mountains or THROUGH the passes to get to Koliganek. Just cause someone flies a plane every day doesn't mean it's safe, or a flight you necessarily want to take.

Education rates may not be as high in the bush as other places but they are not idiots....if there were serious issues with that flight service it would cease and desist pretty quickly....armchair vistiting quarterbacks need not apply...

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    Education rates may not be as high in the bush as other places but they are not idiots....if there were serious issues with that flight service it would cease and desist pretty quickly....armchair vistiting quarterbacks need not apply...
    Armchair quarterback? I doubt it, pal. I don't have a thing against Denaina Air, never flown with them...but it's a fact that bush planes go down every year, some from "reputable" charters. I was cautioning the guy to ensure that the plane/jet used went over the mountains versus through the pass, from a safety and caution standpoint.

If you noticed, I posted before a couple of guys who later chimed in and said Denaina was a good outfit, and left it be after that.

Since when is providing advice to someone who asks armchair quarterbacking? Not sure what got you so upset, maybe a Midol or something will help.