Thread: 2 MOA vs. 1/4" MOA

Default 2 MOA vs. 1/4" MOA

Well, I thought I was getting a great deal on a Leupold scope from eBay, until I opened up the turrets & find that the scope is 2MOA" instead of the finer 1/4"MOA...what's the deal between the two? Will I be able to pinpoint at 100 yds, with a 2MOA turret or do I need to target out to 600 yds?

Thanks, any help will be greatful...

Marv

Marv, a 1/4 moa will require 4 clicks to move 1 inch, the 2 MOA is 1 click for 2 inches of movement, if you are a moose or caribou hunter you should be ok, if you want to drill a tight pattern for sheep or varmits you may have problems. Joe

Default Theoretically...

I could sight it in at 400yds, moving one click at 1" at 400 yds, or would it have to be 800 yds to equal 1"/click at 2 MOA & be dead on both 100-400/800 yrds?

Exactly what sight is it? Could you have M2 turret which is not 2moa but .5moa. Is this a chinese nock-off on ebay? Call Loopy and check the ser #.

The greater numbered value of the turrets allows the shooter more internal travel of the cell to dope for long ranges; e.g., one full turn of the elevation turret to reach 1000 yards Vs 1/8 turret could mean turning the turret 3 revolutions but more likely run out of cell movement before reaching the range of your target. There is only so much internal room for the cell to move.

Another reason for higher value number is to keep the cell centered. Trying to zero with 1/8 may mean your cell is near the end of its travel, way far away from the center.

2moa is quite coarse for a 100 yard zero but you might get lucky and it all works out.

You may try reversing your one or both rings to get a zero. Rings are not perfectly made as neither are scope tubes and turning one or both 180 may help get you closer.

Different ammo/load.

Shotgun husk for a shim.

Call Loopy and see if you can have the turret changed.

Good luck!

Red face It's a Vari-X IIc...

3-9x40 Silver & I just spoke with Charlie @ Leupold, & he told me that I am reading the 2 on the scale from 0-12 & that this is a 1/2" MOA, not a 2 MOA...

Outstanding! I was thinking it was .5moa turrets, do not know why a scope would come with 2moa unless stretching the legs way pass 1000 yards.

I see you've figured it out, but just FYI, if you had been 2moa, moving the target further out, would not have fixed your issue.

If it moved 2 inches at 100 yds, moving the target to 200 yds would mean 4 inches of movement, not 1. The further you went down range, the more pronounced the effect would be.

Default yer correct...

I have issues with inverse relationships for some odd reason...not a good carpenter...