Thread: cpt. cook to chickaloon by 4 wheeler????

Default cpt. cook to chickaloon by 4 wheeler????

i read on the fish and game web site that is could be done but you can ride a 4 wheeler past the boundary. does anyone know how far of a hike up the beach it would be from the boundary line to the chickaloon flats. i highly doubt i would survive the ride down mystery creek road, thats a brutal one. im looking into trying to do it in late sept on R and R from afghanistan. thanks

I am not sure where the boundary is but you might be in for quite a hike. I do know that the western end of the Chickaloon flats are a lot swampier and wetter than the eastern side and I have alway seen many more ducks on the west side than the east. East side holds more geese. I will try to get some photos of the area for you if I get up there in the next few weeks.

I do know there are several ponds below the bluff on the ride up there that hold lots of ducks. A friend of mine used to ride his four wheeler up there and limit out on the ponds, sometimes in a matter of minutes.

Essayons!
    Mac

hey thanks mac, pictures would be great! i usually hunt the kenai river flats but since ive been gone from home with the army and all it has gotten alot more pressure than i remembered it having several years ago. now that fish and game tore all the blinds down, maybe less people will will go out there. who knows... i'm super excited to get some duck hunting in on r and r from here in late sept. anyhow, i figure ill give chickaloon a shot anyhow. its not like i have anything to loose. should pan out to be a decent adventure. thanks for the info. take care, josh

Default Some info for you

Here are a few things to remember if you do this. And I would recomend doing it. First make sure you are leaving a couple hours AFTER high tide so you have the maximum amount of time to get to the flats. One you pass Point Posesion there is no where to get out of the next high tide until you reach the flats at chickaloon. Don't worry about the boundry and going too far because it is the first river you come to at chickaloon and you would have to do some serious work to cross it. You can also see where people have made a camp site right there. The walk is not far at all really. You could probably to pretty well by just going a couple hundred yards and building a blind. We had geese and more ducks than you can imagine flying well withing shooting range of us when we were there last....but only had rifles. OH, I would bring some slugs cause there are big brownies that hang around that area and I know the locals who hunt there have had many run ins with them.

hey thanks alot for all the info. i was beginning to loose hope in my pipe dream. good to know the boundary is a solid landmark and i wont have to look for signs on trees, lol. about how long of a ride is to the creek? i'm sure chest waders are a must??? any other tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks for the info so far

Default 40 miles

so i used my Garmin MapSource and it looks like the trip is about 42 miles. how are all the creek and river crossings? since the tide is out it shouldn't be an issue. about how long on average is the tide out? i know its racing against time. so, from the little camp site/portage, is all game open back there?

Thanks