Thread: Kasilof Fishing upstream of bridge ??

Default Kasilof Fishing upstream of bridge ??

I am floating from Tustemena down to Coho on Saturday. I keep hearing that I can't fish for Kings above the Sterling highway bridge but cannot find this in the regulations or EO's. Can someone help point me in the right direction? Here's what I c/p from the regulations for Kasilof:

Kasilof River (excluding Crooked Creek and Tustumena Lake and its tributaries) cont’d...

Upstream from the Sterling Highway Bridge:

• Sport fishing from a boat is not allowed August 1–August 15.
    • September 16–December 31, only unbaited, artificial lures allowed.

Open season and bag limits:
    King salmon 20” or longer: January 1–June 30, 2 per day/2 in possession, only 1 may be a wild king salmon recognized by the presence of the adipose fin (fish with an adipose fin may be kept only on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays)
    less than 20”: January 1–June 30, 10 per day/10 in possession

Default I called the adfg

and the regulations are correct - no EO's. Not sure why I keep hearing that you cannot fish Kings above the bridge - - maybe no kings run up past the copper??

Some reds are making it past the bridge but at 6K and 3K for the last 2 days it won't be too hot.

You can fish for kings above the Sterling Highway bridge through June 30. The season and bag limit is what you have listed. The Kasilof early-run king fishery consists primarily of Crooked Creek kings and very few kings are found above the bridge prior to July 1. Beginning July 1 management of the Kasilof king fishery switches to the late-run which consists of primarily of kings heading upstream of the bridge.

Default That is what

that is what I figured - most of the hatchery and probably most of the early run Kings are headed for Crooked creek (not copper like I said earlier).....Still will be a nice float. I floated it about 5 weeks ago and the H2O was LO - making it harder than what I hope it will be this weekend....should be less aluminum on the water than 2 weekends ago -- I HOPE.

Talking

Yep, akona is dead on ... legally you can keep one, just don't expect much this early ... although a few Tuste fish are finally nosing in, so who knows?

Water is about normal height for now for the first time in several years ... so you'll be smokin' right along once you get out of Slackwater ... won't be too much to hit now