Thread: Kotzebue Caribou

Default Kotzebue Caribou

does anyone know how the caribou faired this year after the extremely heavy snowfall? I'm headed out there the middle of September and am hoping the herd did ok.

Plenty Good!!

Lots of fat ones this Spring, march and april, and few stagglers.
    The ones weve shot lately are healthy despite the Warbles hatching out their backs, and had plenty of fat inside.

Didnt see or hear about any major die off this year either, and no reports of sick ones out there, so the Wolves have kept the herd well trimmed.
    We did have a heavy snowfall, but alot of wind too, and it kept the ridges and tundr fairly clear.
    Caribou that winterd among the trees, around mossy lakes did well too, as far as I can tell, I hunted here on Kobuk delta, at the lakes and trees and in a year of heavy snow, they suffer most, and didnt.

They have stopped passing in large herds since the ice went out and the females are most all North, but still, theres bulls and yearlings strewn along the migration trail yet.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default thank you

that's good news, I'm really excited about the trip this fall. as a side note I really enjoy your stories and pictures of life out there.