Thread: First time on the Russian

Default First time on the Russian

Ok so my buddy and I are doing a two day trip down to the Russian for Reds. Do you guys have any tips for us first timers? I'm not so much looking for fishing tips, but more on regs, advice on the combat fishing, bears, etc.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

bring some eye protection and watch out for lead and hooks.

Quote Originally Posted by bryasch View Post
    bring some eye protection and watch out for lead and hooks.
    Thats some really good advice! EYE PROTECTION!!

The first time I found myself in a combat fishing situation, I just watched for the first 10-15 minutes. Every time I found myself in that situation, I found the 4-5 people I would be fishing around already had a system in place. Just be patient, watch, and you'll figure out what they're doing.
    Ive always been treated nicely there.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Take some time and watch what the people who are catching fish are doing. Eye protection is a must. and bring patience. Find a spot and work into a nice rotation and bring a smile. It may be combat fishing but it can become a good time. Watch what the people are doing. See where the drift is at aka how far out or in and see what the weight is they are using and how high. If it is working for them it should work for you. Dont be afraid to ask questions down the too. I know I love putting a rookie on his first red. Hope this helps
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Wear a windbreaker with a hood and keep the hood up,, Don't stand in the line of fire if someone has a fish on next to you don't watch turn your back to em. Keep flies and weights on you, When you have to retie keep your spot but turn your back, face the bank to retie. Use the right amount of weight 3/4 on the Kenai 1/2 on the Russian seems about right.. Keep your line straight,If you have a bow in your line you ain't gonna catch fish. Bounce bottom..
    Ripping your line out of the water at the end of your drift will make you look like a Goober,
    and most hookups will be foul.. Learn to feel the difference from fish and the bottom and you will get way more hookups and they will be right in the mouth most everytime..
    If some one has a fish on close to you give em lots of room to land there fish, and they will do the same.. When you filp you flie in the water aim for one -oclock end your drift about ten -oclock everything else is just dead water..
    GOOD LUCK

If slimm is there your gonna need a hardhat. he likes hooking people in the hat

As far as eye protection, wear POLAROIDS. If you end up fishing the clear water of the Russian itself look for fish and line them. I don't even flip unless I'm casting to a fish I'm looking at. When they are in thick blind fishing works fine. When they thin out, walking the bank and looking for fish is the most efficient. Good luck.

Well one good thing about that hat Chuck is that it is an Alaska Aces hat and not a Idaho Steelhead one.. That would be a real shame to put a hole in a Steelhead cap..
    And oh yea we are even cuz i lost my next 10 hookups,, Why didn't you tell me you pinched my barb down when you took my flie out of your hat..

Hey I did. I asked you if I could and you said no problem Ill put a new fly on. Go Aces boo Steelheads LOL. Thanks for putting a smile on my face today slimm

Yea you told me, But i just can't understand why you would ruin a good fly just for that old hat,, Dang man i only brought 250 flies with me..

Slimm, barbs are for those that don't know how to fish!!!

Smile Reds

My buddy and I took our catarafts and floated to the island at the Russian River sanctuary and I noticed that since the Russian has very low water and has the mouth blocked off by fishermen the reds can't make it up into the Russian. All the reds are going through the sanctuary and back over the top of the island and floating on the outside of the island back down like they were doing a Nascar race. So don't waste your time fishing in the Russian river, but there are lots and I mean lots of fish still coming into the upper river. Fish the sanctuary on down and have fun. I caught my limit and my proxy's limit using orange/tangerine and all black flies. Tight lines!

Exclamation Bears

I forgot to add that there are 2 brown bears, one big and another smaller around 450 lbs hanging around the powerline area down river and they have no fear of humans. There is also a small brown bear about 400 lbs at Jim's landing. So keep your head turning and bring spray or bullets, but bullets work better in the wind. Tight lines!

Quote Originally Posted by akriverman View Post
    I forgot to add that there are 2 brown bears, one big and another smaller around 450 lbs hanging around the powerline area down river and they have no fear of humans. There is also a small brown bear about 400 lbs at Jim's landing. So keep your head turning and bring spray or bullets, but bullets work better in the wind. Tight lines!
    Yep, bullets do work better in the wind but you do need to know how to shoot first.
    We had a camp cook at one of our outposts that shot at and missed (3 TIMES) a full grown grizzly inside a cook tent using a shot gun with slugs!!!!

Red face

Drifter.... GUILTY.

A lot of the sheep tend to pummel the Grayling parking lot, so they can all truck down to the confulence--books at 4:30am. Park and request the pink salmon paking lot and you'll find fishable water. Nothing more comical then seeing 10 swingers sitting in one hole--ridiculous! That's the lower area!

Wait until the 20th of July! It's done for now--if your seeking the slug.