Thread: Felt or Lug sole

Default Felt or Lug sole

Hitting the Kenai, Russian and many other fishing spots in the 3rd week of August for bows. Would you guys recommend felt soled boots or lug? Thanks, Nate

Default wading boots

I have a pair of Simms boots with the aquastealth soles, and I love them. They give me almost the same traction that my felt soles did, but are way better when walking along muddy trails. My fishing partner has the new Simms vibram soles, and he has had the same good luck with them. There are a few posts farther down the page about different boot soles, some that liked the felt better, some liked the rubber better. Another option would be the Korkers boots with the interchangeable soles. My wife has a pair of them, and has the rubber hiking soles, as well as the felt soles, so you could have the best of both worlds, and they aren't that hard to change out.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

I'm not sure if you read my thread on the studded/lug wading boots. If you were to ask me, run far far away from the studded boots! Just ask my thumb which had the barbed coho fly embedded into it or the brand new 8 wt that was broken on the fall on the walk down the "Grayling" metal grated stairs down to the boardwalk.

Felt or rubber for this boy for now on! Lesson learned! And yes, the coho fly was barbed and I didn't care at the time as I ripped it from my thumb! Adrenaline over intelligence at the time, LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSWA View Post
    I'm not sure if you read my thread on the studded/lug wading boots. If you were to ask me, run far far away from the studded boots! Just ask my thumb which had the barbed coho fly embedded into it or the brand new 8 wt that was broken on the fall on the walk down the "Grayling" metal grated stairs down to the boardwalk.

Felt or rubber for this boy for now on! Lesson learned! And yes, the coho fly was barbed and I didn't care at the time as I ripped it from my thumb! Adrenaline over intelligence at the time, LOL!

Ouch!! Duly noted and thanks.

Just got a pair of Korkers. They come with a hiking sole and felt soles in the box. The hiking sole are too hard for wading. I was slipping and sliding at Montana Ck. Popped the felt in back at camp and had no problems for the rest of the trip. Korkers also has the Kling-on rubber like the Simms Vibram. Haven't gotten a set, but I plan on it.

I know this wont help too much but I also saw a pair of wading boots (boot foot waders) that had changeable soles...that looked like the cat's meow. I opt for felt, but hate wearing them in the mud ugg! makes it worse then walking on goose snot haha!

I just spend the weekend wading the Russian and my Simms w/ Vibram soles were better than I could ask for. http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/fre...dded_felt.html

Have also taken them to the Gulkana, the Klutina, and the Anchor. They were great everywhere. On Ship Creek I had to worry about getting them stuck in the mud.

Felt is being regulated out. Manufacturers are phasing it out. The new rubber is almost as good or better. Buy some boots you can wear for more than a season or two and not accidentally transmit whirling disease or Asian Long-Horned Swine-Salmon flu while you're fishing. You're the consumer have the choice and don't have to wait for some slow-***** regulatory body to tell you not to spread the next big thing in invasive fish-killing parasites.

And for the obvious naysayer: The original poster might not be from the outside, but someone fishing the Russian/Kenai is. If they brought WD or something else with them, he takes it home and to the next stream he goes to.
    Last edited by michigan_mike; 06-30-2009 at 11:38. Reason: added link