Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30-06 for brown bear

Default 30-06 for brown bear

I have read old info but wanted to ask again. I just booked a brown bear hunt. I not have anything over 30-06, I could get a 300 mag but really have very very little use for it.

I would really like to use my 30-06, with a heady quality bullet like 180 grain nosler. Factory loads only. Obviously hit them right and they go down etc.

That said I do not want to chance my only brown bear hunt. Is it really good enough or should I very seriously consider a bigger gun? I do not plan to shoot past 200 yards. Preferably 100 yards max.

I am careful about my shots and will have a guide.

Have you asked your guide yet? That's the primary discussion that needs to take place.

I would also say ask your guide. If useing the 06 on a once in a lifetime hunt I would look at bullets in the 200 to 220 grain area.

Smile kill it....

It has only been in the last 30 years that the 30-06 became under powered for Alaska's big bears and not flat shooting enough for a sheep or caribou hunt. Bullets are better then ever. If you put a 200 grain Nosler Partition, 180 grain Swift A Frame or Barnes X thru the lungs of Mr. Bear it will work fine. Yes, bigger is better if put in the right spot. If I was going bigger then a 30-06 it would be to a bigger caliber, not to drive the same bullet faster. The way were going the .338 Win. Mag. won't be big enough for brown bears. Brown bear guides shoot big calibers because they deal with big bears on a regular basis. They also deal with some of their clients poor shooting and don't want to go poking around in the alders looking for a wounded bear. Talking to your guide is the best idea. If he wants you to shoot something bigger then shoot something bigger and sell it after the hunt, if you could bear to part with it and the memory. Besides, everyone should own a .375 H&H!

Take the '06, especially if you're comfortable shooting that firearm. No need to buy a new large magnum rifle so it can kick the heck out of you and increase your flinch factor. I say take the gun you shoot the best. I don't see any huge advantage at taking or buying a 300 mag that you haven't shot much compared to an '06 your comfy with.

Tim

The 200gr nosler partition ammo should be great.

Also concider an great bear to small deer cartridge the 35whelen. Use the 250gr partition for bear and the 225gr accubond on every thing else even the 200gr core lokt is great for deer size game. The whelen is on par with the 06 with 180-200gr bullets in recoil but is a serious step up for big bears. And as many black tail hunters have found it dose not mess up meat like a 270win does, its just how a medium bore/velocity bullet works.

For deer and elk this is a 300 yards cartridge but keep close for bears and aVXIII 1.5-5 or 1.75-6 would be great scopes for your bear hunt and furture hunts any where.

Thumbs up

I killed my brownie with an '06. One 180 gr. Barnes X. I only had a frontal shot, but the distance was about 70 yards, and the shot was a gimme. Bullet entered under the chin, broke the neck, passed through the vitals, continued through the paunch, and exited the back left leg just above the ankle. I would say enough penetration.
    Your rifle is adequate. It is up to you.

Smile thoughts

Well, this citation from an earlier thread is a good description of hunting with an underpowered gun. Since the guide is the one who will have to go into the alders chasing the bear, he might want a larger gun! Of course you could kill one with any rifle, but a .375 is a lot safer. It would be a shame to lose the trophy of a lifetime due to losing a wounded bear. Your plan of getting closer with a faster smaller bullet is not a good idea. Also, I would order Tony Russ's book on Bear hunting as he has a lot of good info there.

http://books.google.com/books?id=mrl...um=3#PPA162,M1
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Default get a bigger bullet

Barnes used to make a 250 Gr Round nose 30/06 bullet called the classic. I would see if they could make you up two boxes.

I'm using one this fall on the AKPEN.

Guides typically want their clients to bring something they can actually shoot, but that's a discussion you need to have with him.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post

Take the '06, especially if you're comfortable shooting that firearm.
    Tim
    This is solid advice....the 250gr bullets are interesting

tm

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Be Brave

This is a useful subject, and one that I like.

tccak71 says,,,,
    "Take the '06, especially if you're comfortable shooting that firearm. No need to buy a new large magnum rifle so it can kick the heck out of you and increase your flinch factor. I say take the gun you shoot the best. I don't see any huge advantage at taking or buying a 300 mag that you haven't shot much compared to an '06 your comfy with."

338 mag says,,,,
    "It has only been in the last 30 years that the 30-06 became under powered for Alaska's big bears and not flat shooting enough for a sheep or caribou hunt."

I think they're both correct, and were it me, and I handloaded, which I do, I'd use a 200 grain bullet, something like, maybe, a Rem. Corelokt, and if I were restricted to Factory Loads, I might hafta go with 220 grains, or even a 180. At the velocities you'd get with those bullets, in a 30-06, I don't know why you'd need a premium bullet for penetration. Howsomever, the Nosler Partition reportedly, might help to insure both expansion, AND penetration.

I just don't think that your choice of a 30-06 will critical to your success or failure. I hope this doesn't make you feel like a guinea pig, but if you do go with your 30-06, I'd appreciate hearing how well it worked for ya.

How, about how well, it HAS WORKED on the beeg bars????

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by DonV View Post
    I have read old info but wanted to ask again. I just booked a brown bear hunt. I not have anything over 30-06, I could get a 300 mag but really have very very little use for it.

I would really like to use my 30-06, with a heady quality bullet like 180 grain nosler. Factory loads only. Obviously hit them right and they go down etc.

That said I do not want to chance my only brown bear hunt. Is it really good enough or should I very seriously consider a bigger gun? I do not plan to shoot past 200 yards. Preferably 100 yards max.

I am careful about my shots and will have a guide.
    Discuss the preferred caliber with your guide. Depending on his experiences and experience and discussions with you he may or may not be at ease with the use of the 30-06.
    Remember - your guide is the one that will standing next to you (hopefully) when it comes time to harvest your trophy - making a series of quick decisions that may well determine your safety and important resource issues.
    Good luck
    Joe (Ak)

Default 06

worked for him.

Honestly, I'd fret more on the bullet that was to be used and where to put it.

I wouldn't hesitate using a .30-06' to hunt brown bear. I do handload and have a accurate 180grn partition load that would go along.

The most important thing in my mind is what you shoot best. If you are accurate and comfortable with your 06', by all means use it, provided your guide is comfortable with it as well.

A well placed bullet of any reasonable caliber, fired into an unsuspecting critter, will kill it dead .

Many big bears have been killed with a smaller caliber, a larger caliber and with the .30-06'. I'll go so far as to speculate that more big bears have been killed by the 06" than the .375HH up until the past 30 years or so. I doubt there are any definitive statistics to support either side of that speculation though .

Its my Motto....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default 06

Just make sure you play with any bullets bigger than 180 grain. My 06 doesn't shoot 220s worth a dang but 180s just fine. I can't think of a scarier situation having a big brown nearby and wondering if the bigger bullet I'm shooting is gonna hit where I'm aiming.
    250 grain, interesting.

I used my 06 this spring on my brownie,75 yard shot and one 200 grain accubond, put it down perfectly!

Swift A-Frame

200 grains. And don't think twice. Adequate expansion and penetration. And you can (supposedly) shoot it. A stout bullet for the weight. BUT.....be prepared to put more than one shot into the bear. And I second the fact that the guide will appreciate you not using more gun than you can handle. The first shot will likely do it, but a followup may be needed. The A Frame is not given it's due.

No moss on a 30-06 200 Swift a-frame.

http://www.swiftbullets.com/store/a-...200-grain.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast