Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 lb wall tent???

Default 10 lb wall tent???

So I had been eyeing the possiblity of this setup for quite some time now. And the 40% off GoLite website sale was enough to push me over the edge. As what normally would have cost over $700+ was now just over $400+ shipped to my front door.

What it is is a GoLite Shangri-La 8+ (Dimensions are 19' L X 9.5' W X 6.25' H) weighing in at about 6.5 lbs. That's over 180+ sq ft of space for only 6.5 lbs and able to stand up in!!!! Granted a simple shell would not be acceptable with the bugs here in AK so I also purchased a GoLite Shangri-La 4(Dimensions 9.5' L X 9.5' W X 6.25' H) and about 3.5 lbs. to fit in the rear of the Shangri-La 8 shelter to provide a real floor and 100% bug proof sleeping area. So that leaves me with nearly a 9.5'X9.5'X6.25' H sleeping area as well as the same area size for a HUGE vestibule that you can stand up in. Great for hiding out in the rain. The Shangri-La 4 nest was designed to sleep 4-6 people inside the Shangri-La 4 shelter, and wth only 4 in there this past weekend there was PLENTY of room. I searched high and low on the internet asking if anyone as tried this combo as golite doesn't adverstive that these the Shangri-la 8 shelter and the Shangi-la 4 nest would be compatible but after looking at the dimension of each and the 40% off GoLite.com sale I decided to bite the bullet anyways and have found it to have worked out better than planned.

Granted with the 19' of wall I wouldn't have any plans to haul this setup to the AK Pen or Kodiak for due to all the wind that could catch even if they claim this is a 4 season. This setup it will work well for 95% of my camping adventures with 4 people or more. Less than 1/2 the weight of my 6 man Cabelas Guide Model and much more versitile and compact.

Anyways if someone is looking for a setup with a large sleeping area over 90+ sq ft completely bugrpoof with a floor as well as a 90+ sq ft vestibule all with a center height of 6.25' at only 10 lbs this maybe something worth looking into for trips with 4 or more as it sure beats packing two 5 lb tents.

Here are a few pics:

That is a wicked setup! Do you just take the mesh portion of the 4 man tent? I would think that just a couple small mesh tents could be set up or taken down easily inside the large tent so you could just pitch them each night then strike them in the morning to open up the whole space for hanging out. Then if you wanted to set out on a spike camp you could just grab the small tents and their flys to head out.

BTW have you spent any time out in the weather with that ptarmigan bivi? I am still kicking around buying one depending on how your reviews come back.

Yeah I just bought the mesh portion (nest) of the 4 man to put inside the shelter. I suppose you could set up a separate tent inside. However, when already hauling 6 lbs just for the shelter bringing along another couple 4-5 lb tents instead of the 4 person nest might get you north of 15 lbs for a 4 person setup which is getting up there, but still very versitle. Plus it might be hard to setup a couple tents inbetween the two support poles to sleep 4 people and it would be a pain to have to pack up the tent, pads, and bags everyday as setting them up inbetween the poles would cut into the vestibule space. With the current setup I can't imagine needing more than 9.5'X9.5' of vestibule space anyways. Stuff to think about though.

Still toying with the idea of having a stove jack sewn in the vestibule roof somewhere (maybe AK tent and tarp could do it, not sure if they can sew to sil-nylon or not) and gettting a Large stove from Kifaru to really make things cushy all for less than 15 pounds for a shelter, bug netting, and stove. Easy enough for 4 people to backpack in able to cook food on the stove to save on stove fuel consumption or great for a lightweight and compact alternative to much heavier and less roomy ATV/float hunting camping tents.

Default You stole my idea!

'Lanche,
    You stole my idea! Looks nice. Did you use your packraft as a bed? I've got a Hex 3 that is my light and fast shelter, and after go-lite came out with the Shangrila series, I've wanted to get a 6 or 8 with 4 nest and do it the way you did.

I only picked up some trail running gear at the Go-Lite sale. Spent all my stimulus funds already!

My other idea...Sew in a stove boot and get a TiGoat Stove. dang nice lightweight moose float rig!!

-Chris

Default I like

Very nice setup Aklanche.

If it helps Lujon the Ti bivy is very waterproof, on my initial run a couple summers ago I woke up after a steady rain all night in a small trickle right under my bag, myself and the contents were dry. Spots for a bag were limited in the head of this particular canyon but I have full confidence in the Ptarmigan Bivy. I wouldnt mind if they integrated a small hoop and net version of the same bag though, hard to get used to the body bag style.

Awesome setup Lanche! Were you on a combo camping/fishing/hunting trip (see you glassing in the one pic)? Any luck?

I got the shangri-la 4+ in the same sale. I've not yet used it. I do plan to get a stove jack installed and try to make a stove for it. We'll see how that goes. Lots of floor space for less than three pounds.

Yours is a slick idea with the small nest in the big tent.

Sheepshape,

Can't say I am guilty of stealing your idea when you never told me. I can say that great minds think alike right??? Well atleast you get a sneak peak at what it looks like prior to buying the setup, someting I wish I had seen.

MDHunter,

Yeah of course in Unit 13 it is always a grizz hunting trip year round, or atleast thats the excuse to carry the rifle along. But only saw a sow with 2 cubs, no loner bears . Wastrying to get my sister or bro-inlaw on a bear if we happend to stumble across one that allowed a decent stalk.

Vek,

Those shangri-las are slick. I have the Shangri-La 2 as well and use it as my bivy shelter cause at 1.5 pounds and 50 sq ft of space it would be an Oasis in the pouring rain if you had to spend the night out, it lives in my daypack.

have you gotten them out in the rain yet? how does the silnylon hold up? i've been eyeing the utopia 2+ with added floor for a while.

How do you think it would handle wind if you guyed out the sides? I think something like that would be great here in Kodiak... if you could guy it out and find some trees for a windbreak

Jason

Coasty,

I know GoLite rates these tents as 4 season tents, but 19'X6' wall seems like an awfully large sail. But with being able to adjust the two support poles of the tent 18" , making it shorter and a more sloping walls in addition to the 6 additional tie downs it may do alright that I already bought the stakes for just need to tie on the 8' or so of paracord to each of the 6 addition guy outs. Only testing in the wind will really tell. I just think there is too much flat surface area to be too sturdy in 50+ mph winds, but more testing will find that out.

Lanche, who is glassing in the camo coat?

That would be a certain 4 time high school state wrestling champ. But yeah I can take him.

FYI if anyone is interested in this setup but missed the golite super sale there is still a pretty good deal on this setup at backcountrygear.com A touch over $500 for the same setup Lanche has. I am not sure if it comes with everything you need or not. It says "pole" in the description but it sure looks like you would need "poles" eithe way an addirional pole is $35. If someone finds this cheaper elswhere please let me know!!

Thanks for the posting. I'm in the market for a new tent and I like the way this looks like it will work.

What size does the whole package break down into?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    That would be a certain 4 time high school state wrestling champ. But yeah I can take him.
    hmm.
    I only know of four.. young enough to be that fellow.. all from my high school days.

Eli, Jed, David, Hollan

Your info says Wasilla, so that might but not necessarily narrow it down to Jed or Hollan,

That'd be Jed...

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    That'd be Jed...
    I had a sneaking suspicion. should be out of columbia now...?

Big boy looks a lot smaller now then he did as a heavyweight in college.
    good guy, and one helluva athlete.

Default Poles

Hey Lanche;
    Does the nest pole double as the second pole for the shelter?
    I can only see two poles...looks like a really nice setup.
    Also, with the stove jack and stuff, I looked at both stoves, Tigoat and Kifaru..very similar. I wonder if the cinder mesh stops all the sparks. I am pretty sure if you couldn't sew it in,you could glue it.
    Thanks for posting this up.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by snowshooze View Post
    Hey Lanche;
    Does the nest pole double as the second pole for the shelter?
    I can only see two poles...looks like a really nice setup.
    Also, with the stove jack and stuff, I looked at both stoves, Tigoat and Kifaru..very similar. I wonder if the cinder mesh stops all the sparks. I am pretty sure if you couldn't sew it in,you could glue it.
    Thanks for posting this up.
    Mark
    Yeah the rear pole for the shelter is the same pole that supports the nest. Yeah I am looking at getting AK tent and tarp to sew in the stove jack. I am going to order the stove jack & the 4" stove pipe from TI Goat. I am hoping to get the stove pipe high enough that in conjunction with a spark arrestor I won't have to worry much about sparks burnign holes in the shelter. I am having a Kifaru Large stove made by the guy that designed and used to make them. Should be a seet setup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast